Re barreling my 6.5 Grendel, Which barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glockhappy
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Re barreling my 6.5 Grendel, Which barrel?

Originally bought a 18" Bear Creek Arsenal a while back, it shoots ok but I would like better accuracy. I would like to stay with 18" barrels but am open on everything else. Tell me about your barrels and their accuracy. Oh price range is $300-$400.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I would jump all over this: (never mind - they raised the price from $299 to $499)

As I've already said once today, my 18" BSF 223 is worthy of being attached to one of Dr. Evil's shark's heads.

Last edited by StoneHendge; 06-12-2018, 01:48 PM.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

If you could I would save a lil longer and go JP 18 inch with rifle gas.

Awesome barrel and bolt combo, totally worth the price.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Definitely stay with the actual SAAMI chamber btw, that's my opinion. And set for a 0.136 bolt face (as opposed to 0.125").
        I don't know that Odin or Faxon is up there with the premium bbls but I'd look at them at least, they've been good for me. With my eyes I can keep loads into 3/4" when I don't Stonehendge any shots LOL .
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Alexander Arms and Ballistic Advantage also get good reviews. I have a Shilen Match profile barrel I bought from Midway several,years ago. It is an accurate barrel but is 1:9 twist with plain muzzle (not threaded). With the trend towards longer and sometimes heavier bullets the 1:8 or 1:7.5 twist are probably advisable with an 18" barrel.

New entrants from Noveseke, Wison Combat plus Larue Tactical are worth considering. Precision Firearms and Lija 6.5 Grendel barrels get good reviews.

Many choices today for quality 6.5 Grendel barrels.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-11-2018, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            Definitely stay with the actual SAAMI chamber btw, that's my opinion. And set for a 0.136 bolt face (as opposed to 0.125").
            I don't know that Odin or Faxon is up there with the premium bbls but I'd look at them at least, they've been good for me. With my eyes I can keep loads into 3/4" when I don't Stonehendge any shots LOL .
            I'm going to have to start taking exception here. Authentic StoneHendged groups start as bugholes before they widen. The resulting group could still be well under 3/4 MOA

IMG_20180611_153800_crop_437x515.jpg

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
              I'm going to have to start taking exception here. Authentic StoneHendged groups start as bugholes before they widen. The resulting group could still be well under 3/4 MOA

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12055[/ATTACH]

Ha!!! Mine start as bug holes too!!! Welllllll...... one-shot bug holes, but still!!! ...LOL-- then they open a bit.
              I'm just not the shooter some of you guys are!
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Gatorshark
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2018

5 shot 100 yard group with Noveske barrel and bolt combo. 123gr sierra

just 40 rounds though the barrel. shooter and barrel should get better.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Welcome aboard Gatorshark - we might be related! Good to see a Noveske sighting. Looking good!
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Too late to buy once cry once.

Up your budget and buy a Bartlien from Precision Firearms.

This advice should close this thread considering you already bit the bullet once.
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Glockhappy View Post
                      Originally bought a 18" Bear Creek Arsenal a while back, it shoots ok but I would like better accuracy. I would like to stay with 18" barrels but am open on everything else. Tell me about your barrels and their accuracy. Oh price range is $300-$400.
                      If you want to maximise your guns accuracy find another $100 and buy an Olympic-grade match barrel; Bartlein, Lilja or Krieger. It's only $100... Everything cheaper is compromised in some way. While you can skimp and save in other areas you can't cut corners with the barrel. The barrel is 90% of the gun's accuracy meaning the barrel is the gun.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

Amen!

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                        If you want to maximise your guns accuracy find another $100 and buy an Olympic-grade match barrel; Bartlein, Lilja or Krieger. It's only $100... Everything cheaper is compromised in some way. While you can skimp and save in other areas you can't cut corners with the barrel. The barrel is 90% of the gun's accuracy meaning the barrel is the gun.
                        If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• sundog
                          Unwashed
                          • Mar 2018

I am very happy with my Brownell's barrel.

Still doing barrel break in, but getting 3-shot sub dime size groups at 100 with 123 SST and Auto Comp.

Comment

• hill37
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

Wilson Combat 16in threaded. I don't have one but comes highly recommended.https://www.wilsoncombat.com/6-5-grendel/

Comment

• Joseph5
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2012

Lilja barrels are amazing and unfitted ones are just a little over $400.00. Mine shoots everything great, doesn't seem to matter which brand factory or handled, not just one or two different loads that you end up being restricted to.

Comment

Working...
                              X