• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reiverman
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2018

Will the 6.5 Grendel Bolt work with a light weight bolt carrier from a 5.56

So, I am new to the forum and to the 6.5 Grendel. I recently bought the new Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel and love it. So much so that I am going to get an upper for my AR. I was wondering though if I only needed to get the bolt and use a lightweight bolt carrier I have with it. Since it is cheaper that buying a whole bolt. Is this workable. The bolt carrier is a light weight one I bought from Primary Arms.
  • CastleBravo
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Yes, they are interchangeable. Make sure you have adjustable gas though.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

I would try it if you only have a standard gas block. You may not need the adjustable gas block.
      You may have failures to feed due to the lightweight carrier but I would try it and see before changing anything else.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Welcome, Reiverman. The issue with lightweight carriers is that the cyclic rate can go up too much, causing FTF's, as bj139 mentions. I have to say, though, that a standard BCG is available for very short money, and shouldn't be a stumbling block in your build. (At least I wouldn't waste any time on trying to tune a BCG, when there more enjoyable things to do, such as shoot.)
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

It should work as others have said. Despite my being a big fan of lightweight carriers, springs, buffers and anything else that lessens recoil and muzzle movement, I would actually say just spend the few extra bucks and get a dedicated bcg with bolt for the grendel. Your probably only looking at $20-40 more depending on who has what on sale, etc. You'll find yourself at the range (or where ever you may shoot) wanting to switch back and forth between uppers. The last thing you're going to want to do is break down your bcg going back and forth. Sooner or later you'll be on your knees wondering where the firing pin retention pin went.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• kpswihart
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Lots of good reviews on the Toolcraft BCG. I have one of their carriers that is running fine. Monmouth has them on sale for $89.99, https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolc...carrier-group/. Not much more than a bolt, may save you a little inconvenience. Just a thought, YMMV.

Comment

• aephilli822
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2016

would this be any good?

Comment

• zzrguy
                Bloodstained
                • May 2018

Grendelhunter.com I'm very happy with the product and service.

Comment

• Reiverman
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2018

Thank you all for the update. I went ahead and bought a 6.5 BCG from Primary Arms on their Father's Day sale. I will be trying both out.

Comment

Working...
                  X