My experience: BSF Barrels May Experience Substantial Thermal Drift.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

My experience: BSF Barrels May Experience Substantial Thermal Drift.

Five sets of 5 rounds at a spirited pace. I started a stop watch but was so pissed off by the time I was done I forgot to check it. Probably about 1:15. I shoot 350 to 550 steel faster with a dialed in 223.. Group 5 aiming point was top right corner. The sixth target was after cooling 20-30 minutes - back to zero (which was a little low because rifle is zero'd off of handguard on bag). These were shot off bipod.

.IMG_20180624_172040-1036x777.jpgIMG_20180624_172111-1036x777.jpgIMG_20180624_172408-1036x777.jpg

I don't have pictures, but shot same pace with my 20" slim contour BHW - 0.625" to 0.750" rifle length gas journal then back to 0.625" until it flares near muzzle. Started moving down a tad at 12-13 rounds then settled at 2 MOA low. 20 rounds gets a slim contour barrel pretty damn warm.

This was with a Strike Industries handguard with steel barrel nut (came off of the McGowen 6mm build after I took it behind the shed). Results were worse with the Faxon handguard (that contributed an extra 2 MOA when things got warm), but the barrel is the main culprit.

I find it hard to believe that this company could still exist basing their product on a lie.

I find it even harder to believe that Rainier Arms, who hangs their shingle as being a premium supplier, would carry this garbage.

I find it hardest to believe that I got suckered into buying this steaming pile of crap when my original intent was to buy a JP.

Rainier is getting a call first thing in the morning and I am going to attempt to return it as a defective product. It's been slightly over 30 days, but this thing is worthless to anyone who doesn't stop to have a cup of coffee between 5 shot groups.

My apologies to anyone who might have listened to any of my previous positive comment. Yes, it still is extremely accurate for 5 or so shots when cool. Lucky for you, you're probably within Rainier's 30 days.

This is what they say on Rainier's website: "Drilled to vent heat-fastest cooling carbon fiber barrel" Blatant false advertising implying it cools faster than a Proof. I didn't believe THAT, but I would have thought it work somewhat.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-24-2018, 09:07 PM. Reason: Fairness to vendors
    Let's go Brandon!
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Dang it seems like bad barrels from a few sources here lately.

What's up with that.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Here's another set. After zeroing with the temporary handguard, I neglected to see the wind was blowing in 2 directions and missed the first 2 shots on a 4" diamond at 250. The next 3 were hits. It takes some time in between shots to wait for the target to stop swinging. I then went to my software and changed to the 6" diamond at 460. Went 4 of 5. Again, some time in between shots to let it stop swinging. I stopped, loaded up the 10 round mag and went back to the 460. Low and left. Adjusted and kept on going low and left after further adjustment. After 6 misses, I went to paper at 100. The zero is good since I was going off the bag:

IMG_20180624_201622-777x1036.jpg
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Djgrendel
        Warrior
        • Feb 2016

Who suckered you Stone? I have zero experience with BSF. Are they a button rifled pipe or cut?
        Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          Dang it seems like bad barrels from a few sources here lately.

What's up with that.
          Buy once cry once.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
            Buy once cry once.
            You or correct my friend that's why I run JP and if I get away from JP it will be a Lilja, bartlein or kreiger but most likely a lilja.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Buy once cry once.
              These are $500+ piles of hot steaming garbage. Buy once, cry twice.

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post

https://www.rainierarms.com/manufacturers/bsf-barrels/
                I would be making some phone calls tommorw to see about getting my money back.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

I was wondering if this was from Rainier from your other thread. they are pretty good they SHOULD give you a refund. And it will probably be in their "bargain bin" which isnt all bad, they are about 20 mins from me and theres some screaming deals in there sometimes but ive wondered about the barrels. I KNOW they have a return policy on their own branded barrels. I found my v seven steel buffer tube in there for like $45 didnt even know someone made a steel tube. I had to have it! Things awesome btw.

Im kinda leaning in A5's direction. A few months ago i wetted my toes with a JP .22 barrel and bolt kit. You never see these things and i was too curious i had to try one. Got the lapua/sk standard norma and federal GM HV all stocked up now just waiting for ALG to finally ship my 4 HG's i ordered memorial day..

For my next build i think ive settled on the JP 6.5 creed just want to get it done before these a holes ban them. Im SOO stoked they going to be at this years triggrcon, only racked one once before and they are as solid as the kobalt kinetics AR's.
                  Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 06-25-2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

That is...well...just fugly. I don't think I would have made it past the third group before I started thinking about wasting more ammo.

Really curious to know if PR CF barrels suffer the same, or they put some VooDoo on the barrel and it does not drift on higher paced firing.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2013

https://www.rainierarms.com/manufacturers/bsf-barrels/
                      My reply was to A5’s comment. I don’t blame you for being upset but in my opinion the cf barrels are a gimmick.
                      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

Buy once cry once.
                        I never understood this expression. I figure that if you are crying at all, then you probably made a bad decision. Money well spent is nothing to cry over.

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                        You or correct my friend that's why I run JP and if I get away from JP it will be a Lilja, bartlein or kreiger but most likely a lilja.
                        Somebody has to try these products. We want to see new/different manufacturers with Grendel offerings. If folks only purchased from one or two places, then nobody else would be entering the market.
                        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                          I never understood this expression. I figure that if you are crying at all, then you probably made a bad decision. Money well spent is nothing to cry over.

Somebody has to try these products. We want to see new/different manufacturers with Grendel offerings. If folks only purchased from one or two places, then nobody else would be entering the market.
                          Yes sir I understand that completely, and I'm all for more offerings of the grendel.

It just seems like some company's are jumping on the wagon that is the ever growing popularity of the 6.5 grendel and not doing much in the way of making sure their products are of atleast shall we say possible results typical of this caliber.

I'm not against buying a budget barrel, I just hate to see, products come out that have clearly only been produced to try and grab a quick share of the market and not built with any care.

Now saying all that I will be the first to admit that even top shelf company's can drop the ball from time to time and let a less then steller product slip out the door.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2016

Well, I called twice this morning and no one picked up the phone on the returns line. Went into request returns on their website, checked off the barrel, marked "open" for condition (there is no "used" option), selected "other" as reason (there is no "defective" option) and store credit as resolution. Explained the massive amount of thermal drift in comments and uploaded the pictures. Return was instantly accepted. Time to break it down as quick as possible, package it up and head to the office to print the return label and get it out the door! Maybe BSF barrels are set up for automated return acceptance. Still don't know if they'll accept it since it's "used" and not "open", but possession is 90%!
                            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Well, I called twice this morning and no one picked up the phone on the returns line. Went into request returns on their website, checked off the barrel, marked "open" for condition (there is no "used" option), selected "other" as reason (there is no "defective" option) and store credit as resolution. Explained the massive amount of thermal drift in comments and uploaded the pictures. Return was instantly accepted. Time to break it down as quick as possible, package it up and head to the office to print the return label and get it out the door! Maybe BSF barrels are set up for automated return acceptance. Still don't know if they'll accept it since it's "used" and not "open", but possession is 90%!
                              Hope it works out for you sir.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Any thoughts on what barrel you going to replace it with?

Comment

Working...
                              X