• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Barrel lengths and gas lengths

Ok so here is my question to the more knowledgeable members here.

Is it possible to get a true 16 inch barrel to run properly and have at min accuracy capable of man size targets to 300 yards with rifle length gas?

Thinking of building me up a dedicated home defense grendel and like to keep parts enerchangable as much as possible.

I tryed to Google it but my Google fuu is weak today.

So has anyone ever done a 16 inch barrel with rifle gas length and did it work and shoot good enough for home defense.
  • AZHTfreak
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Why? What parts will become more interchangeable running RLGS on a 16? Gonna be a really short dwell time... CLGS 7" tube on a 12 = 5" of dwell, RLGS 12" tube on a 16 = 4" dwell. But not as short as CLGS on a 10.3...
    Last edited by AZHTfreak; 07-03-2018, 10:22 PM.
    DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Why because it's my money and I want it simple as that.

I understand the whole dwell time thing and understand it may be finky to get to work.

As far as interchangeable parts, gas block gas tube, bcg, scs or rifle buffer setup same as my other rifles, stocks the same now fixed rifle length.

That's the parts I can think of right if hand that if one rifle went down and I was in a bind I could get parts from the other plus the fit to shoulder and general feel will be close to same and allow for quicker learning of the new platform.

Sorry if I came off rude not really interested in answering why I want this more interested in first hand knowledge and experience with such a product.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

I get the goal of unification of gas systems in order to eliminate build specific parts - uniformization? - but the simple fact is that if you change the barrel length, the system changes. The pressures and the forces that act on those parts change drastically with each change in barrel length. The end goal would be making them run in similar fashion right? This would hamper that goal simply because the physics would change so drastically.

If the goal is to make parts interchangeable, then I'd wager setting everything up on a mid length system would get you closer in the end. I think you'd run into a situation where you'd have to either have a special adjustable gas block on a build or two, or make them all similar there, while having to remember the settings on each barrel length.
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
          I get the goal of unification of gas systems in order to eliminate build specific parts - uniformization? - but the simple fact is that if you change the barrel length, the system changes. The pressures and the forces that act on those parts change drastically with each change in barrel length. The end goal would be making them run in similar fashion right? This would hamper that goal simply because the physics would change so drastically.

If the goal is to make parts interchangeable, then I'd wager setting everything up on a mid length system would get you closer in the end. I think you'd run into a situation where you'd have to either have a special adjustable gas block on a build or two, or make them all similar there, while having to remember the settings on each barrel length.
          Thanks for the reply and big plus on the thought out response sir.

Why rifle length simple because that what all my other grendel are and don't want to change from that.

I already run adjustable gas on my grendel so working with that isn't a problem.

I did find some Intel on doing this and it was from solid sources, they said the gas port had to be opened to between 100 to 110 and that's fine because a JP adjustable gas block will still cover up to .120 already measured it.

This isn't going to setup for running long 300 plus round training drills are going hunting simple a shtf quick grab short fight low count 100 to 200 round at a time home defense gun.

Like stated I did find some would Intel was just hoping some of the more experienced members here would have tryed on in grendel before and could give their feed back on it.

But really the caliber don't matter if any member here has tryed this would love to hear what you had to do to get it too work.

As far as the rudeness of my last post I do apologize for that I hate why people ask me why to things.

If Bill A give up when people asked him why we would be shooting 6.8 instead of the grendel.

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

If I’m reading this right, and I’m not too sure.

What you are trying to do is use the same length gas tube on all your guns?

If that is correct, what are the odds the tube fails and you need to rob one off another gun?

And if I’m wrong, don’t be rude. I’m pretty sure I can run circles around a one legged dude in an ass kickin contest
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• AZHTfreak
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Well, I was crafting a detailed, concise reply to your response taking into account the 5-6 variables in the system, but KSW beat me to it. What he said...
              DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                If I’m reading this right, and I’m not too sure.

What you are trying to do is use the same length gas tube on all your guns?

If that is correct, what are the odds the tube fails and you need to rob one off another gun?

And if I’m wrong, don’t be rude. I’m pretty sure I can run circles around a one legged dude in an ass kickin contest
                Lmao I don't know dawg the old leg feeling good today might give you a run for the money lmao.

And yep correct on the gas tube setup.

Well it did happen last year when a mentally ill person dropped my back up rifle from 30 foot up a tree.

Gas tube got smashed and pinched in so it was useless, had a different hanguard on that rifle and the gas block and a few inches of the tube weren't covered.

So this has been on my mind with thinking of building me a dedicated home defense grendel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

16" RLGS works on 5.56 to a degree, but that has much less bore volume.

16" RLGS might work on Grendel, but you'll need a large gas port.

Using RLGS increases your risk of damage to the gas system if you mate it with shorter handguards, which shouldn't be done anyway. Shorter gas is a solution to that problem you had with the rifle falling.

I also would consider not placing firearms within reach of people with mental illnesses where that type of access is a substantial risk of danger.

I personally wouldn't go over MLGS or ILGS in Grendel on a 16" barrel. There's a good discussion on this with diagrams in Volume I of the Grendel Handbooks.

Graphs show what type of reliability to expect with the different configurations.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    16" RLGS works on 5.56 to a degree, but that has much less bore volume.

16" RLGS might work on Grendel, but you'll need a large gas port.

Using RLGS increases your risk of damage to the gas system if you mate it with shorter handguards, which shouldn't be done anyway. Shorter gas is a solution to that problem you had with the rifle falling.

I also would consider not placing firearms within reach of people with mental illnesses where that type of access is a substantial risk of danger.

I personally wouldn't go over MLGS or ILGS in Grendel on a 16" barrel. There's a good discussion on this with diagrams in Volume I of the Grendel Handbooks.

Graphs show what type of reliability to expect with the different configurations.
                    Just the man I was hoping to hear from.

Yea I said mental illness as a joke, more of a idiot family member who has no business in a climbing tree stand much less a rifle in his hand.

I did some reading up on guys that did it with 556 and they stated a gas port dia of .100 to 110 was were they found it to work best.

I was thinking of doing the port at .110 and then putting low mass bcg and buffer system in the rifle to allow it to be dialed down and make the most of the gas pressure the short dwell time will be giving.

Will be using the same hanguard on this rifle as I do my others now, the seekins sprv3, i have settled on that handguards as the only one I use it fits me good and I'm use to working with it.

As for as ammo goes I'm still in a toss up if I will use wolf or just load it with federal tnt ammo till I can work up a brass cased fmj load for it.

Think the tnt factory load will be hot enough to produce enough gas pressure in this barrel and gas length?

My thinking is a more full power load would help with the short dwell time and gas pressure drop off.

What's your thoughts on this LRRPF52.

Comment

Working...
                    X