• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VikingCruze
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Help! How does this crown look?

Attached Files
    Last edited by VikingCruze; 07-19-2018, 10:42 PM.
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Pic is a bit blurry, but it looks like it needs to be re-cut. Who's the bbl maker? Did you put it together, if so did you Permatex it? You'll need Kroil to soak a few days to un assemble it- find a local picky G smith to re crown it.
    Last edited by sneaky one; 07-08-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Who made the barrel?

What chamber is it?

100% sure you have the correct bolt headspace to it?

Have you tryed any factory ammo or just handloads?

How many rounds down barrel?

The pic is hard to make out but it does look kind of funky.

Comment

• VikingCruze
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2017

It’s a Criterion 22”. I torqued it to 40’ lbs after applying sleeve retainer per instructions. Anti seize to barrel nut. Unfortunately I had to resize the image in order to upload. I can email full size photos if that helps

Comment

• VikingCruze
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2017

Comment

• VikingCruze
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2017

I bought the JP bolt with the barrel and was told they headspaced it. I have about 350 rounds down this tube

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Sounds like you have an issue with some other kind of movement or fit. All fhinks beink ekual... choo shud git ekual wesults. Something is changing on you between trips.

Check everything, accessory mounts, optic mounts, (sounds like you've been over this road), handguard and barrel nuts, gas tube clearence, look for gas leaks (if there is a big enough leak, then your pressure could be spiking/curving differently on each trigger pull, changing lots of unusual things - like harmonics). If all else fails, a complete disassembly, heavy cleaning, bedding, reassembling, and torquing are my next bet. If that doesn't work, then the manufacturer of the barrel needs a call.

Best of luck, I know chasing rabbits down holes isn't the most fun you can have on Grendelback, but even if it's not the problem, the disassembly and reassembly process will kill a good afternoon, a cigar, and a few cold drinks. And then there's the fun of shooting to proof it again.

I'm with Sneaky, why no name on just the barrel?
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by VikingCruze View Post
                I bought the JP bolt with the barrel and was told they headspaced it. I have about 350 rounds down this tube
                Who did you buy this from?

I only know of two places to get a grendel barrel with a JP bolt and they don't sell that barrel makers products.

Comment

• VikingCruze
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2017

I bought it directly from the guys at Criterion. I live in Madison and work in Milwaukee so their shop is kind of on the way home. Really nice guys

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

I see, so they make the barrel, and just don't put a name on it? Then they buy a JP bolt and match the headspace to it, or vise versa? That's Kosher; as long as the bolt and barrel are verified to chamber as they should together. I've just that I've never heard of it called "unnamed barrel" before.

There is a better way to post pics that are better for this. Flickr is my choice, by opening an account, I am able to share pics on message boards that come across in all their glorious size and resolution; a good thing when posting pics for others to look at to help diagnose potential problems.

Untitled by ., on Flickr
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

you say Criterion 22" but is it SAAMI, or "264 LBC" style?
                      Also, would you list your load ladders with powders/bullets and results?
                      Is it possible that you've tried too many combos and possibly muddied the waters... that's happened to me for sure.

Do you have chrony results from your loads? I work to get tight MV spreads before I worry about x.x MOA grouping.
                      Have you tried any SMK's like the 123?
                      Eldm's, 100 or 123 with CFE223, 8208 XBR or AA2520?

I would also agree that something somewhere could be loose... so the 2 areas I'd recommend concentrating on are
                      1) tightness all around, and
                      2) more specifics on load ladders and details

I'd hate to say that a Criterion barrel was a "dog that won't hunt" -- there are too many things to rule out before reaching that conclusion.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Do your groups pattern at all? That's usually a good sign that something is loose somewhere.
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VikingCruze
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2017

To clarify it’s not an unnamed barrel. I said that because I didn’t feel like listing the name at the time. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• VikingCruze
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2017

Attached are results from today along with 6.5 Creedmoor groups as a control.
                            Last edited by VikingCruze; 07-09-2018, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X