• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattman2010
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2018

Rainier Arms barrels?

Anyone running a Rainier Arms Match 6.5 Grendel barrels? Bought an 18" BCA barrel and not happy with it so sending it back. Looking for an 18" barrel to replace it and seen Rainier Arms has some but have not seen any reviews on any of them. I know a couple guys that have their barrels in different calibers that say they are great barrels. They say they are a type II chamber but not sure if that is SAMMI spec or not. Ive also thought about a Ballistic Advantage or a Faxon as they seem to have pretty good reviews. Looking for a good barrel for hunting and target shooting.
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Best advice I can give you would be to stick with a manufacturer that's been "fussed-out" already. BA, Faxon, PF, Odin, BHW (though they have gone away from the type II - .136 bolt face), there are a few others that have shown consistent performance levels. I'm sure someone will chime in soon to add to the list. I'd be interested to know who makes Ranier's barrels before I dropped money on one. Re-branding hasn't been a good omen for Grendel lately.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

I looked pretty closely at them when they were doing a big sale on their prefit supermatch RPR barrels a few weeks ago. Word on the street is that Shilen used to make them, but Rainier now won't disclose who makes them. I might have bit given the price but they only had spiral fluted in what I am looking for so I passed. They get great reviews but at they're price point you can get a high quality barrel and know who made it. On the flip side, Rainier gave me my $400 back (in the form of a credit) for my BSF barrel that was super accurate when cold but then displayed massive amounts of thermal drift when it got warm. So they do stand behind what they sell.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

I have looked at their offerings several times through the years and shilen used to make their pipes but I'm of the mindset if you can't tell me who is making it or give me a 100% answer on the products specs ie chamber used and what bolt face headspace to the barrel I ain't spending my money with you.

For my money I want any and all details, not disclosing specs smells of in house changes to something they think is better.

Comment

• bakabone25
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

I have built three guns with their barrels already, though none in 6.5. I can say however that they are all very good shooters. My 10" blkout shoots 3/4" groups at 150 yards. It has surprised many people. Both .556 tubes are just as accurate also. I would certainly give them a try. I actually looked at their site first when i built my first GRRR. Before they had them.

Comment

• Djgrendel
            Warrior
            • Feb 2016

This question seems to come up everywhere. Buy the best you can afford. But if 1.5 moa is ok, go for it. 1 moa pay more. .5 moa is not a bargain barrel option. Let alone the component list to make it sing. The barrel is a consumable no matter how much you pay. Depending on your needs, how much are certain qualities worth?
            Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Joseph5
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

Lilja.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mattman2010 View Post
                Anyone running a Rainier Arms Match 6.5 Grendel barrels? Bought an 18" BCA barrel and not happy with it so sending it back. Looking for an 18" barrel to replace it and seen Rainier Arms has some but have not seen any reviews on any of them. I know a couple guys that have their barrels in different calibers that say they are great barrels. They say they are a type II chamber but not sure if that is SAMMI spec or not. Ive also thought about a Ballistic Advantage or a Faxon as they seem to have pretty good reviews. Looking for a good barrel for hunting and target shooting.
                MM:

Go to the Advanced Search feature (upper right).

Type in 'Rainier Arms' for title.

At least two complete threads on their 'Super Match' barrels.

LR55

Comment

• NightFisher
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2018

I have three Rainier barrels. A 20" .308, 26" 6.5 Creedmoor, and a 18" 6.5 Grendel all in their match grade. The .308 shoots OK just over a MOA, the Creedmoor holds sub-MOA and the Grendel generally is a 1.25 - 1.5MOA barrel. The 16" Faxon barrel I bought on the Group Buy here for $167 will outshoot it all day long. For the price point Rainier is at I think you can do much better.

Comment

Working...
                  X