• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 41bear
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

12.7 barrel chamber question

When I first got my barrel I cleaned it and then started checking the chamber for problems. Rounds would stick and also many deep scratches. So I've since polished the chamber and have eliminated the scratches but, on some ammo I'm still getting a tight fit, insert round but have to bump to get round to drop out on Hornady ammo. However the Underwood ammo drops freely. Measured shoulder with Hornady being 1.210 and Underwood being 1.209, both below the 1.220 spec, so do I have a tight chamber? And is it still gtg to shoot?

Also am able to close bolt on both the Hornady and Underwood ammo manually with my hand.

What say you all?
    "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

If it was mine as long as the bullets aren't making contact aka short throat I would shoot it.

Comment

• 41bear
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      If it was mine as long as the bullets aren't making contact aka short throat I would shoot it.
      Thanks, no problem with a short throat, in fact both the 110 LeHigh and Nosler 120 E TIP are both over 2.300 OAL.
      "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Then it should be good to go I'm thinking.

Long as they ain't touching and making a high pressure problem I would run it.

Long as the chamber section isn't hanging up the case and making it hard to eject the round, I would shoot it.

But that's just me, one of my jp barrels is this way, rounds won't drop free unless you give it a good tap, but the bullets don't contact the lands so no short throat or high pressure danger so I just rock that bad boy out.

Comment

• grendelnubi
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

I had scratches on my brass also. In my GB Faxon 12.7 my fired brass is measuring 1.214. I am resizing to 1.212, about 2 thousands difference. It seems to be working for me.
          I would be curious to know what your fired brass is measuring.

I believe factory ammo will always push the headspace back on their ammo just to make sure they chamber.

Comment

• 41bear
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
            I had scratches on my brass also. In my GB Faxon 12.7 my fired brass is measuring 1.214. I am resizing to 1.212, about 2 thousands difference. It seems to be working for me.
            I would be curious to know what your fired brass is measuring.

I believe factory ammo will always push the headspace back on their ammo just to make sure they chamber.
            Am going to visit my daughter next month and there's a 400 yd range there so hopefully I'll have a report full of info on my 12.7", 16" (2 - a Faxon and a X-Caliber), and the 18" when I get home.

Comment

Working...
            X