• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TraderRik
    Bloodstained
    • May 2018

Timing problem with Surefire compensator

I'm attempting to install a Surefire 7.62 compensator on my 18" Faxon Match SS barrel. As can be seen from the photo attached, I cannot get the comp properly aligned. I've even tried not using the crush washer (in which case I would have used blue locktite.) I'm sure it will still function fine, but it looks like heck.

Anyone else have this issue? Any help appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TraderRik; 08-12-2018, 09:14 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

If there is enough thread you could use a 5/8x24 lock nut tightened up against the muzzle brake. You could also use red Loctite on the threads to get proper timing or appearance.

I'm not sure if blue Loctite will hold because of the potential heat if you do high rates of fire.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-12-2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I would get online and find primaryarms shim kit, problem solved and no worring about locktite and stupid crush washers.

Kit has like 20 shims in it and can be used with any muzzle attachment.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Timing problems with brakes and hiders are normal. Why don't you want to use a crush washer?

Comment

• TraderRik
          Bloodstained
          • May 2018

Perfect. Thanks for that suggestion on the shim pack, A5!

Vascar, no doubt you're right about the red Loctite. But the blue was working fine on my Kaw Valley linear comp (no crush washer supplied or suggested.) That comp just doesn't reduce the recoil enough for my wife. Sure like the way the blast is projected out front, though!

And Klem, I guess you were asking A5 about a crush washer; I have no problem using one.
          Last edited by TraderRik; 08-13-2018, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

If using a crush washer you should be able to time it. If not, then something is wrong
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by TraderRik View Post
              Perfect. Thanks for that suggestion on the shim pack, A5!

Vascar, no doubt you're right about the red Loctite. But the blue was working fine on my Kaw Valley linear comp (no crush washer supplied or suggested.) That comp just doesn't reduce the recoil enough for my wife. Sure like the way the blast is projected out front, though!

And Klem, I guess you were asking A5 about a crush washer; I have no problem using one.
              My bad it's precision armament that sells the shim kit.

It's the same kit that comes with their m4-72 severe duty brake.

That thing cuts recoil like I don't know what but man it sure is loud and has a heck of a concussion.

But I use the shims to time all my other mussel attachments as well.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by TraderRik View Post
                Perfect.

Rik,

OK, you could buy a handful of MILSPEC 5/8" crush washers (Brownells). They are only a couple of bucks each. Then, after a couple of thousand rounds you crank the brake off to clean and inspect/repair the crown. Replace with a new one. If you glue it then you are stuck with it semi-permanently as the carbon builds up on the crown, unless you don't care about that. Then be aware Knights Armament uses Rockset because it has a high tolerance to heat (but it's on for good).

I have seen 9/16 crush washers out there but are not deigned to permit full 380-degree rotation for brake timing.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

I think that 24-set washer pack A5 is talking about is Accuwasher... each washer is slightly thicker/thinner and they are marked with little hashes to tell them apart, follow their instructions and you're timed in about 5-10 minutes, I'd still use some loktite, blue, or red if you're gonna do rapid fire strings. I've also used the lock washer style, you can use some shims as space-fillers if you want but not necessary... A 6 or 8 set of 5/8x24 is maybe 10 bucks on Amazon etc. Also really easy, 5-10 minutes if you're slow. Loktite again.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    I think that 24-set washer pack A5 is talking about is Accuwasher... each washer is slightly thicker/thinner and they are marked with little hashes to tell them apart, follow their instructions and you're timed in about 5-10 minutes, I'd still use some loktite, blue, or red if you're gonna do rapid fire strings. I've also used the lock washer style, you can use some shims as space-fillers if you want but not necessary... A 6 or 8 set of 5/8x24 is maybe 10 bucks on Amazon etc. Also really easy, 5-10 minutes if you're slow. Loktite again.
                    Yes sir that's the one.

Sorry if I added confusion yesterday, it was a bad day for me really and my mind was in catch up mood all day.

Comment

• TraderRik
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2018

Great advice and tips from all; really appreciate it. And A5, I went to Brownells right after you mentioned a shim kit, and I found one that had good reviews and ordered it. If it doessn't work out to suit me, I'll try the Accuwasher.

One reviewer at Brownells implied that he's using one of the slim shims with the crush washer. I'll try that first.

Thanks again to all of you.

Comment

Working...
                      X