Grendel magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I purchased about a dozen magazines when I initially purchased/built my rifle. I tested each one to see if it would drop free when empty. Although all were made by C Products, some even from one source, only about half would readily drop free without some assistance from the operator. My opinion is that the coating on these stainless steel magazines varies in thickness and lubricity (how slick they are) quite a bit and that some of the magazines are coated too thickly. This is only a matter of a few thousandths of an inch and as the mags are used will eventually cease to be a problem as the finish wears off at contact points.

Comment

Am i to understand that a 223 mag will work with grendel if not at full capacity? Or was that just a maybe? Has anyone actually tried it?

Comment

• noobshooter

Negative Ghostrider. I have tried swapping out followers from a 10-rd Grendel mag and put it in a 30-rd 5.56 mag. The follower fits and moves up and down; however, as Warrior Stanc pointed out, the neck on the Grendel is larger then the 5.56. The grooves on the 5.56 mag up front are a bit deeper than the Grendel to accommodate the neck size difference.

Rainier Arms sells ASC brand 25-rd Grendel mags. They are the same size as the 5.56 30-rd mags, but you can only fit some many fat cat Grendels in the same size space.

Comment

I wish more magazine makers would jump on the bandwagon already. Would love to have some magpul mags. Has anyone tried modifing any 223 mags to make them work, or are they just that much different?

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by henmar77 View Post
            Am i to understand that a 223 mag will work with grendel if not at full capacity? Or was that just a maybe? Has anyone actually tried it?
            Last question first. Yes, but not with every 5.56 mag out there. GI mags tend to work the best in my experience, but only for 5-6 rounds with any consistency. Some won't work at all, but others will allow you to go to as many as 10 rounds. Its really a crapshoot on what will and won't work. Simple solution----Buy Grendel mags!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

I wish more magazine makers would jump on the bandwagon already. Would love to have some magpul mags. Has anyone tried modifing any 223 mags to make them work, or are they just that much different?
              Polymer walls are too thick to allow good function. Unless there is some other new, miracle material used, we will be using stainless mags. Modified 223 mags, (not magpul) can be made to work, but as I said above, its a crapshoot on consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                Polymer walls are too thick to allow good function. Unless there is some other new, miracle material used, we will be using stainless mags. Modified 223 mags, (not magpul) can be made to work, but as I said above, its a crapshoot on consistency.
                I would think that single stacking the grendel in a magul would work theoretically. FYI: Im not pretending to know anything about this, just asking the experts

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

I would think that single stacking the grendel in a magul would work theoretically. FYI: Im not pretending to know anything about this, just asking the experts
                  Single stack would work, EXCEPT the Grendel has dual feed ramps, so it has to feed from the right and left. The Beowulf, for example, single stacks in standard mags just fine, but it has only a central feed ramp, not dual feed ramps.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                    Single stack would work, EXCEPT the Grendel has dual feed ramps, so it has to feed from the right and left. The Beowulf, for example, single stacks in standard mags just fine, but it has only a central feed ramp, not dual feed ramps.
                    Does the Beowulf work in a 223 mag becuase its so big that it sits over the dual feed ramp? I thought that the width of the grendel and beowulf were the same at the base. so wouldnt the grendel single stack in a 223 just fine? I also thought that the problem was with the more with the lip design anyway?

Comment

No, .223/5.56 magazines don't single stack the Grendel, all kinds of dimensions are different.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

I thought that the width of the grendel and beowulf were the same at the base.
                        Grendel and Beowulf have the same rim diameter, but Beowulf has a bigger case diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                          Grendel and Beowulf have the same rim diameter, but Beowulf has a bigger case diameter.
                          Yep, known as a rebated rim diameter. The .284 Winchester case has a rebated rim.

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by fastpat View Post
                            Yep, known as a rebated rim diameter. The .284 Winchester case has a rebated rim.
                            The .284 is the parent case for the .450 Bushmaster. When the cartridge was new and you could not get brass, there were guys making it out of .284 with varying results.

Comment

I have read from numerous sites that the 6.8SPC mags work flawlessly in the 6.5 Grendel, and vice versa. Anyone have experience with that?

Comment

The 6.8SPC magazines don't work, the feed lips are the wrong shape. The only magazines that work in the 6.5 Grendel are those made for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X