• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thegrass13
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2018

AR Performance Barrels

Anyone have any experience with ARP grendel barrels? Looking at a 16 inch to do a build with, can not decide between ballistic advantage/ARP/Criterion.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I had a few ARP barrels, they were, I guess, ok. The 264-lbc style one seemed good at first but became hard to load for, as far as accuracy was. I'd go with either BA or Criterion if I were you. The Criterion is probably the better of the two, usually a bit more $$ also. I sold all of the ARPs and moved on so don't have any today to compare with my others.
    Also, the 16" Faxon barrel I have shoots well, I'm taking it on my fall hunt along with my Howa HB.

You might also look at the group buy that BFT has going on right now, heck of a deal for a Green Mtn barrel.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 41bear
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

I have one 18" RG which is quite accurate. You might notice that those Grendels he now is selling are Criterion blanks and $50.00 below the Criterion price. Yes, I'm giving some thought to buying a 20" barrel too, ARP's or the GB.
      "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

I too had one of his first run 264 LBC barrels and like gray fox said it was finicky - that was around 2013.

His latest barrel I picked up is labeled 6.5 GARP (Grendel-ARP) and it flat shoots!

So things change and I’m happy for the price I paid

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I think the ARP uses a proprietary bolt and the companies owner has a history of questionable interpersonal skills. In full disclosure I have not purchased anything from ARP only what I’ve read on various gun forums.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I bought a used ARP Six5 barrel. It is a wildcat based on the 6.8SPC case necked down to 6.5.
            I had to grind down the top of a shellholder as shown in the photo to get the headspace correct with a Wilson full length bushing sizing die (.285 bushing).
            I only loaded 10 rounds and shot all 10 at the center of the target below. After scope adjust on first shot the next nine made a nice cluster.
            It looks like the 6.5 bullets show accuracy potential as all 6.5s seem to do.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              I think the ARP uses a proprietary bolt and the companies owner has a history of questionable interpersonal skills. In full disclosure I have not purchased anything from ARP only what I’ve read on various gun forums.
              I’m using a group buy Grendel bolt with my barrel, no proprietary parts unless the buyer specs it as such.

I get what you’re saying about the interpersonal dialogue - I feel the same way about LaRue but his gun also shoots well

Comment

• Thegrass13
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2018

Thanks for the input guys, might just go with a criterion from Precision Firearms. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Huckleberry75
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Thegrass13 View Post
                  Thanks for the input guys, might just go with a criterion from Precision Firearms. Thanks for the help!
                  Mark is a heck of a nice guy. You can't go wrong with PF.

Comment

• SDW
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post

You might also look at the group buy that BFT has going on right now, heck of a deal for a Green Mtn barrel.
                    So, not to highjack, but.... GMR makes Grendel barrels also? I could not find it on their web site. I have a couple of their stainless .223 Wilde barrels on builds, and am really pleased with the accuracy. How might a person learn more about this "BFT" group buy?

FWIW, the Grendel I've put together recently has a BA 20" DRM barrel. Haven't had a chance to try it out, but I'm hoping that shoots well.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Look in the "Group buy Central" section of the "Equipt Exchange" from the main thread menu.....
                      Gentlemen, Warriors, and Vile Unwashed Masses of The Grendel Horde, I am pleased to announce new MONSTER barrels are arriving soon. The Monster 16 and Monster 20 are complete and are being shipped to me. The M12 and M18 are in production and are due in 6–8 weeks. Guys, these barrels feature our best profiles yet,

12, 16, 18, and 20" barrels in the group buys. BFT = our very own "Blunt Force Trauma" member. He's the wheeler-dealer for Grrrrs.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                        So, not to highjack, but.... GMR makes Grendel barrels also? I could not find it on their web site. I have a couple of their stainless .223 Wilde barrels on builds, and am really pleased with the accuracy. How might a person learn more about this "BFT" group buy?

FWIW, the Grendel I've put together recently has a BA 20" DRM barrel. Haven't had a chance to try it out, but I'm hoping that shoots well.
                        It should, if it doesn't send it back they will send you one that will. But I doubt that will happen.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Huckleberry75 View Post
                            Mark is a heck of a nice guy. You can't go wrong with PF.
                            Hey, Thanks for this! I really am a nice guy according to my wife. haha
                            "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                            X