X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Superfly
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2018

the Barrel is a ELD and the gun was put together by a good gunsmith but he also said he did not like Aero mounts and to go with Leupold or nikon so I will start there................

Thanks Fly

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Yes on the mount change it out.

Also eld doesn't make their barrels, their barrels from what I was told are made bye either bear creek or liberty.

Both have been known to have issues.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Superfly View Post
        the Barrel is a ELD and the gun was put together by a good gunsmith but he also said he did not like Aero mounts and to go with Leupold or nikon so I will start there................

Thanks Fly
        Mounts are easy to test. Grab the scope and try to move it. I bet the mounts you have are securing the optic just fine. So why would they be the problem?

Never did say what the groups looked like, your expectations, or even if you are a good enough shot to realize those expectations.

Sounds to me like you are using a budget barrel. That one has more certainty of being part of the problem than anything else you have described. Other guys have said that the SST bullet is choosy when it comes to performance. I don't shoot them but can understand this theory very well.

If you want a good test bed, get some 120 Sierra Match Kings and try them. If they won't shoot from your rifle and you are a proficient marksman, you better look at your barrel.

LR55

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          Mounts are easy to test. Grab the scope and try to move it. I bet the mounts you have are securing the optic just fine. So why would they be the problem?

Never did say what the groups looked like, your expectations, or even if you are a good enough shot to realize those expectations.

Sounds to me like you are using a budget barrel. That one has more certainty of being part of the problem than anything else you have described. Other guys have said that the SST bullet is choosy when it comes to performance. I don't shoot them but can understand this theory very well.

If you want a good test bed, get some 120 Sierra Match Kings and try them. If they won't shoot from your rifle and you are a proficient marksman, you better look at your barrel.

LR55
          I can shine a lil light on those mounts.

I tryed them myself they don't hold the scope very well plus they are a pain to try to get the scope level and properly torqued.

The lugs on the mount where it mates with the rifle have a tendency to break easly.

It's simple my thoughts that the aero ultralight mounts aren't made for the increased recoil that the grendel produces.

This is just my thoughts on them from my personal usage of them.

I much prefer the leopold cantilever mounts now, much better mounting system.

Complete agree on the barrel though, think it's a bottom budget barrel and combined with the ammo is most of the resin for the bad groups.

Think he post that his groups were like 12 inch size at 100 yards.

Sst factory use to shoot good groups for me then something changed about there loading cause it will not shoot out of any barrel I have tryed in the last 6 months. That's factory sst ammo, haven't tryed them in handloads yet.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

I do have a couple of barrels/rifles that don't do the factory sst's very well, but I have been able to get sst+ cfe223 and AR-comp hand-loads to do well, around 3/4-1" when I'm steady. But roger on the factory, it is finicky.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              I can shine a lil light on those mounts.

I tryed them myself they don't hold the scope very well plus they are a pain to try to get the scope level and properly torqued.

The lugs on the mount where it mates with the rifle have a tendency to break easly.

It's simple my thoughts that the aero ultralight mounts aren't made for the increased recoil that the grendel produces.

This is just my thoughts on them from my personal usage of them.

I much prefer the leopold cantilever mounts now, much better mounting system.

Complete agree on the barrel though, think it's a bottom budget barrel and combined with the ammo is most of the resin for the bad groups.

Think he post that his groups were like 12 inch size at 100 yards.

Sst factory use to shoot good groups for me then something changed about there loading cause it will not shoot out of any barrel I have tryed in the last 6 months. That's factory sst ammo, haven't tryed them in handloads yet.
              A5B:

Roger your experience with the mounts. However, if they secured the optic to the rifle for his shooting then they worked properly.

LR55

Comment

Working...
              X