• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • okiemike
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2018

.223 ar wanting to convert it to 6.5 grendel

New guy here, was told to come here and jump in a group buy.

I have a ar-15, .223/5.56 bought it so my daughter can deer hunt with me when she was 9, she is getting a little bigger now, and can handle a little more gun, and possibly antelope hunt with as well as deer hunt primarily plus i may wanna use it because i have heard so much about this 6.5 grendel!

Now what kinda deals are out there and what do i need to do just a new complete upper? can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Barrel bolt magazine. Deals depend on your budget. Depending on gas system you might need a different length gas tube and different diameter gas block.

Comment

• okiemike
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2018

thank you, how will i know about gas system?

Im wanting to stay fairly cheap, dont need anything super fancy, just wanting to be able to switch over to the 6.5.

Comment

• hill37
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Check out the Palmetto state Armory uppers. $350 shipped. Seem to be pretty good shooters.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

If your wanting to change out a 5.56/223 upper to 6.5 Grendel the best deal going are the group buy barrels. Barrels are manufactured by Green Mountain plus there are 6.5 Grendel bolts in the group buy section. There are barrels in 16”,18” and 20” for very good prices.

If your wanting to buy a complete 6.5 Grendel upper PSA prices are hard to beat for a quality upper.

Switching to 6.5 Grendel requires a 6.5 Grendel barrel, bolt and magazine. The group buy barrels are really great for general purpose AR-15, ideal for hunting or target shooting.

All local, state, and federal laws apply. In the rare event a transaction between private parties should go awry, forum management cannot be responsible in any way, nor can we mediate disputes. Please take full responsibility for your dealings here, or simply decline using this service.

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Here ya go and pick up a couple of mags and your ready to go.

Comment

• okiemike
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2018

thank you guys this is what i was looking for!
              Seems i would save some money doing the group buy, never built an ar, but have machinist knowledge and know how to work on stuff, im assuming with a youtube video, i should be able to assemble my own upper? or do you need special tools/equipment to build one?
              edit: actually looks like roughly a $50 difference, so not a whole lot difference.

Also if i was to do it, if shooting under 400 yards is the furthest, and most of the times 100 yards MOL, should i go with a 18"?

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

18 will be fine a little less weight and easier for her to handle. Better stock up on ammo though when she starts getting used to it the hounds will be unleashed.

Comment

• BCHunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2018

To build an upper you need a torque wrench 30-80 lbs, the appropriate barrel nut wrench, (usually comes with upper,) a vise, a upper vise block or ransom rod. Helps but not necessary to have roll pin starter, roll pin punch , upper lapping tool.
                  The advantage is you make it exactly how you want, and are in charge of quality control. To some the time and expense aren't worth what you can get a good upper for.

Although once you have the tools the uppers seem to self multily.

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

What tools you need depends on what your upper has. You need to remove the handguard, take off the gas block which may require you to remove a muzzle break, and remove barrel nut.

Changing the bolt in your bcg does not require any tools. I use the tip of a bullet to push the firing pin retaining pin and then to pry it out.

Pretty simple. I do use a torque wrench to install my barrel nuts but have buddies who don't. You can rent them for free from discount auto parts or advanced auto parts.

Comment

• Big Dog
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2018

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Welcome to man legos.
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Texas
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2016

Depending on your needs, BCA has a complete 6.5 Grendel rifle on sale right now for $339.99

Comment

• Swampfox
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2018

I personally would just build a complete upper, and there is several reasons for this. 1 the enjoyment of building a upper, 2 the pride of doing it yourself (especially for your daughter), and 3 you know what parts was used and it was done correctly. With sales of Black Friday and cyber Monday being here shortly you could save money on a build. Aero Precision or Anderson upper receiver, RTB low mass Bolt Carrier+ parts, CH, Group buy barrel and bolt, spikes gas tube, adjustable gas block, handguard, and VG6 6.5 muzzle break. Tools needed armors wrench, upper receiver block, TQ wrench, roll pin punch, and locttite. Also if you wanted to you could just swap your CH back and forth, and to be honest you could do the same with your Bolt carrier, and just add the group buy bolt when shooting the Grendel.
                            Last edited by Swampfox; 11-21-2018, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X