• Creekrat
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2018

To buy or build?!?!

• A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Build always build, not hard few simple tools and a few simple tricks to help insure it's as accurate and well built as possible and made just the way you want it.

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

I had to look up swmbo and got a chuckle out of it.

Do the math and see which way works for you. Retailers often offer complete uppers for less than you can piece one together. However, I get a kick out of doing it myself. Like A5 says, you'll need to buy some tools, but then you can build the next one or help out your buddies. Putting uppers and lowers isn't rocket science. I've built a few golf clubs in my day as well.

I don't have any direct experience with PSA or with the current monster barrels. I do think BFT did enough due diligence to confirm the monster stuff is fine.

Anyway, Grendel is a great round and it should work fine on anything you hunt in Oklahoma or any of the surrounding (lesser) states.

Comment

• Creekrat
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2018

Just got done at our church small group Christmas party and found out one of our new members has a small machine shop consisting of 2 mills and 2 lathes and builds precision rifles on the side. Guess I’m going the build route!!! Now to start getting my parts list together

Comment

• Sixoeight
          Warrior
          • Jul 2018

You won't need any of those tools for your AR but that's cool none the less!

I would vote build. You can make it exactly how you want it.

Unless you just want something cheap to get your feet wet. Palmetto State uppers seem to be the best bet if that is your goal. They had complete uppers for $300ish shipped not long ago. They won't be anything special but you can hardly mount a decent barrel and receiver together for that price.

Comment

• Creekrat
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2018

Just pulled the trigger on one of the 18" group buy barrels and bolt from BFT. Have my gas tube, block and aero upper headed to the house as well. Now just waiting on a response about a handguard(15") I'm looking at. I'm at work for 3 weeks so hopefully these will all be waiting on me when i get home. Also need to get a dimple drilled for the gas block

Comment

• MSgun
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2018

Comment

Working...
              X