Threaded Barrels??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded Barrels??

Why are all 6.5 grendel barrels sold threaded? Does anyone sell one thats not. has anyone here modified there barrel with a crown? How different was the performance. Is everone here that shoots long distance accurately have a muzzle brake or flash hider installed on their gun? I know, lots to ask, but dont worry, i have a lot more questions!
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Threaded barrels allow options (for various muzzle devices). Thread protectors can be used if no device is wanted.

That being said, I don't see an issue either way (threaded or not), nor should there be an issue with cutting and re-crowning a threaded barrel (if done correctly).
    Drifter

Comment

I've seen 6.5 barrels advertised both ways, threaded and crowned but mostly threaded. The AR because of it's military roots has a muzzle devises, it improves performance by either reduced recoil and faster follow-up shots or hides muzzle flash so the bad guys don't know where you are. That logic has carried over into the commercial market. As far has accuracy I've only shot my Grendel with a flash hider and it shoots sub-moa. I haven't tried it without, so I can't answer the rest of your questions. I'm sure someone else will respond.

And by the way, welcome to the board.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2011, 02:33 AM.

Comment

I ended up with a threaded barrel ..... that's what was in stock at the time. It ended up costing me another 110 bucks for a muzzle break ..... LOL. But that's my fault. I could have just thrown a thread protector or flash hider for under 20 bucks. I'm sure it would be fine with just a target crown.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
          I've seen 6.5 barrels advertised both ways, threaded and crowned but mostly threaded. The AR because of it's military roots has a muzzle devises, it improves performance by either reduced recoil and faster follow-up shots or hides muzzle flash so the bad guys don't know where you are. That logic has carried over into the commercial market. As far has accuracy I've only shot my Grendel with a flash hider and it shoots sub-moa. I haven't tried it without, so I can't answer the rest of your questions. I'm sure someone else will respond.

And by the way, welcome to the board.
          Thank you Sir for your response. Im in the market for a barrel and having difficulty finding what i want. Where did you see barrels sold without flash hider. Or better yet where do i find a flash hider or compensator options without modification? Seems like everything availible is for 223?

Comment

alexander arms have this A2 military style bird cage muzzle device 9/16-24 RH for $15.00

Comment

I have both threaded and 11 degree target crown, there is no difference, they shoot the same.
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                I have both threaded and 11 degree target crown, there is no difference, they shoot the same.
                Bob
                Thanks, that makes things easier. Not cheaper unfortunetly. lol
                Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2011, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Did you read this thread?
                  http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...e-break-thread...
                  Call Ross and ask if he will make a threaded crown for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Sheepdawg View Post
                    Did you read this thread?
                    http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...e-break-thread...
                    Call Ross and ask if he will make a threaded crown for you.
                    I did. Sent him an email a couple of days ago, just waiting for a response. Looks like great work... Thanks for replying!

Comment

Yankee Hill Machine(YHM) has thread protectors if you don't want a brake or flash hider.
                      YHM is a third-generation family-owned business that leads the industry in manufacturing quality silencers, firearms, & more without adding the vanity price tag

This is the flash hider currently on my Grendel from Alexander Arms(AA):

They also have thread protectors.

Precision Firearms has some upper listed w/o threaded barrels:
                      Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld

This is just a sample of what's out there. Google Grendel barrels, do some searches, once you find what you want come back here to find out if it's any good. Odds are one of Horde has used it and has an opinion.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X