• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dscoduc
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2016

5.56 Magazine or Manually insert round?

I am trying to be patient with my new build, waiting for the two 6.5 Grendel magazines to show up... Meanwhile I just sit here holding my rifle thinking about whether I can just go to the range and either use the MagPul 5.56 magazines I have or just manually insert each round into the barrel...

Has anyone had to go without 6.5 Grendel magazines?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan
  • BCHunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

I haven't had too but,...I believe there a couple threads on people using 5.56 magpul mags you can only load 3-5 rounds before it causes the mag to swell. Going off memory here but do a forum search. I would do this before single loading in chamber this is usually what causes the rare instances of that free floating firing pin to slam fire.

Comment

• Lazermule
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2018

I run the Magpul PMags with my grendel and they work fine. I have "special 6.5 Grendel mags" and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

LM

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Lazermule View Post
        I run the Magpul PMags with my grendel and they work fine. I have "special 6.5 Grendel mags" and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

LM
        Yes it does, try loading more then 5 rounds.

Don't foul yourself this has been done and talked about and repeated since God only knows how long.

I have 10 round gen 3 pmags that will hold 5 and run fine. I have gen 2 and 3 30 round pmags they will hold 7 and sometimes feed fine.

Best bet is get grendel mags.

Comment

• FRB6.5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2018

Yep, 10 round Pmag works just fine as a 6.5 Grendel 5 rounder for me as well. More capacity than that I will use an E-lander.

Comment

• Dscoduc
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2016

Thanks guys, glad I asked. I went to the range and was able to run five rounds at a time in a Magpul 5.56 10 round magazine without any problems.

At least I don't have to wait for the magazines to go shooting!
            "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

• cwlongshot
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
              I haven't had too but,...I believe there a couple threads on people using 5.56 magpul mags you can only load 3-5 rounds before it causes the mag to swell. Going off memory here but do a forum search. I would do this before single loading in chamber this is usually what causes the rare instances of that free floating firing pin to slam fire.
              Exactly, a 223/556 mag usually works perfectly BUT you cannonly load a few cartridages. See its the larger dia or the Grendel combined with the way the follower tries to push the cartridages.

On my first build correct mags where difficult to obtain. I sited and hunted with magpuls using four rounds and the gun ran flawlessly but try 6-7 and it was a NO GO! It isnt ideal but just load 3-4 and you should be able to site and shoot till your correct mags show up!

Comment

• SightedIn
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Lazermule View Post

LM
                Like A5 said lets not propagate a myth, at least not without stating specifics.
                If your stating you run 10 grendel rounds out of a 10 rounder pmag or 20/20 or 30/30 than i have to respectfully call bs

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by SightedIn View Post
                  Like A5 said lets not propagate a myth, at least not without stating specifics.
                  If your stating you run 10 grendel rounds out of a 10 rounder pmag or 20/20 or 30/30 than i have to respectfully call bs
                  This! LOL
                  "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                  X