• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Lemonaid's BCA range report

BCA 24“ complete rifle range results. Burris pepr mount, Bushnell Trophy Xtreme X30 6-24x50 Scope with DOA LR800 Reticle.
    Trigger pull more than 5 1/2 lbs.

1 problem encountered before range trip. The bolt catch detent jammed into the blind hole. Had to drill out. Detent was not very smooth. Made a temporary out of o1 drill rod. Works great now.

24 Rounds fired, no problems with loading, feeding, extracting or ejecting.
    Cases ejected 2.5 to 3 o’clock. At first look, no worries about case condition.

Rounds 1-7 Hornady new brass, cci 450 primer, 25 gr. H332, Hornady 95 gn v-max moly. 2.255“ oal (.012 from lands)
    Sighted in a 25 yards.

1st round: sighter, 2.5 inches below point of aim, 1/8 inch to left of p.o.a.
    Adjusted scope for 1.5 inch p.o.a. to get near 100 yd. zero

Barrel break in = 1 shot clean, 2 shots clean, 3 shots clean, 5 shots clean 10 shots clean.

Rounds 2-6 (five rounds) grouped at .244“
    Moved to 100 yards. 4 shots 2.540 “

Hornady 123 eld match black factory load. 5 shots 3.735“

Sierra 130 game changer, 29 grains or CFE 223, Hornady Brass, CCI 450 primer, 2.280 OAL
    5 shots 1.550“ * 3 Shots in one hole .096“ sub-group

Hornady 123 eld match, Hornady brass, CCI 450 primer, 30.0 gn CFE 223, 2.280 oal (about .020 from lands) 5 shots 2.012“

Temp 40 degrees, overcast, no wind to speak of. The rifle rest I used was not very stable. I’ll have to get a bipod for the next testing.

My impressions. Looks pretty good for fit and finish. Functions great so far. Upper to lower fit quite good. Recoil surprisingly light.
    The barrel and chamber looked good, no rough spots felt while cleaning rod pushed through.
    There was some red goo oozing from the barrel extension (some type of assembly or locking compound).
    Replacing trigger with a Larue (on back order)
    I don’t like the adjustable stock. It seems a bit flimsy, no real pad and has some slop.
    I think I’ll try the Magpul MOE SL-K
    I’m going to take off the flash hider and inspect the crown.
    Accuracy not great (yet) but not horrible either.

It's very fun to shoot! I like it!
    The BCA website said it came with a Tapco magazine. Mine came with ASC 25 rounder. Also BCA Customer support was fast and helpful.
    Last edited by Lemonaid; 03-02-2019, 04:34 AM. Reason: Left out some info
  • Wanderson
    Warrior
    • Oct 2018

Never seen a Tapco 6.5G mag, maybe someone was confusing 7.62x39 with 6.5G.

My Elander 17s and CPD 26s run perfectly with my BCA 20” upper on a Rock River Arms lower with a RRA two stage trigger & A2 stock.

A Magpul stock with the friction lock is a pretty solid adj. stock. I run a plain ol’ M4 stock with the CAA saddle and a limb saver butt pad, a nice setup but close to the price of a Magpul STR which I run on another rifle. That STR has a limbsaver pad as well which is a nice upgrade over the hard plastic pad it comes with, but the M4 pad is much larger and thicker.

Comment

• Rangerofthenorth
      Warrior
      • Dec 2018

I have a Magpul sl stock and 3 Magpul sl-s's. Much better cheek weld for a bench gun with the sl-s over the sl and presumably the sl-k.Great choice with the Larue trigger, have my third coming in the mail, definitely worth the wait.

Comment

• tag2501
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2018

you will like the LaRue trigger - makes a positive difference

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

You can fix the rattle or wiggle of an adjustable stock easy. There are a number of video's on YouTube. Basically all you do is slip the butt stock off the tube and place electrical tape on the top back of the tube in thickness that will allow you to slip the butt stock back on and operate it but tighten it up. I have done this to 4 ARs with no problems and it wears and functions perfectly.

Comment

• Jeepster18_88
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

I believe that "red goo" that you mentioned is wheel bearing grease. Mine has it and a guy at work ordered a dozen uppers and they all had a bunch there too. The smell is a dead giveaway.

Comment

• Lemonaid
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing it and now that I know it's a common fix, I'll do it. (I got a local deal on a magpul moe stock, trigger guard and pistol grip for $30.00. MUCH better!)

Next I think I will buy some threaded rod and some nuts to fit it from Home depot and fab up a pistol grip mono pod. Just block the area of the screw that holds the pistol gript on with some cloth, spray some release agent in, wrap rod in tape, spray again, put in rod, and cover nuts with acraglass gel and Vioa! Should be a easy...... The idea is to have the nut embedded in the epoxy with a cavity for the threaded rod to enter. This unit can either stay in the hollow pistol grip or be removed. The Threaded rod with a foot attached can then spin in or out to adjust rear stock height. Cost should be under $10.00

Comment

• OpFor1
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

I like your idea for the monopod. I don't know for sure if you will get enough height out of it, but don't let that stop you. You might come up with something that I am not thinking of or bright enough to figure out. Please do post a pic of what you come up with.
                Thanks for posting your range results.

Comment

• ported45
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                  You can fix the rattle or wiggle of an adjustable stock easy. There are a number of video's on YouTube. Basically all you do is slip the butt stock off the tube and place electrical tape on the top back of the tube in thickness that will allow you to slip the butt stock back on and operate it but tighten it up. I have done this to 4 ARs with no problems and it wears and functions perfectly.
                  I applied 3-4" of the fuzzy side of velcro to the top of the buffer tube and it took up the slack, too. Still collapses and extends to fit me or my daughter.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

Will do. Doing a ladder test on Sierra 130 Game changers with CFE 223, H332 and 8028 next good weather day and will update results.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

Range report # 2
                      Rifle changes from report #1 are:
                      LaRue trigger installed (nice), removal of flash hider and inspection of crown.
                      The crown looked fine except I think I detected a very small raised lip when I used a sharp toothpick to check it.
                      I chucked up a surplus .223 case in a hand drill and used some very fine lapping compound and smoothed it out. (the shoulder of the .223 case making a beveled surface)
                      On closer inspection of cleaned brass there were tool marks from making the chamber so polished that out (mostly) with a fired case drilled out and then fitted to a rod, again with mild lapping goop. The cleaned and polished with Flitz.
                      Added MagPul stock, Trigger guard and pistol grip.
                      Monopod still in construction phase.

Sunny, 45 degrees, very light to no wind.
                      Reader's Digest version first.
                      Accuracy winners. All loads for testing are unfired Hornady brass, CCI 450 primer, Sierra 130 Game Changers, 2.280" OAL 3 round groups.
                      #1 28.0 CFE 223 .600"
                      #2 24.6 8208 XBR .780"
                      #3 25.8 8208 XBR .920
                      #4 24.6 H332 .987

Long version
                      CFE 223 27.5=1.800 27.7=1.060 28.0=.600 28.4=1.630 28.7=1.250 29.0 (5 rounds)=1.943
                      At 29.0 Ejector marks were getting bad. Primers still look fine
                      8208 XBR 23.7=1.355 24.0=1.185 24.3=1.372 24.6=.780 25.3=1.850 25.6=1.907 25.8=.920 26.0=1.110
                      H332 24.0=1.132 24.3=1.250 24.6=.987 25.0=1.110 25.2=1.350 25.6=1.117
                      Stopped the ladder at 25.6 due to bad ejector marks. Compressed crunching occured at 26.0

Being unfamiliar with the Burris P.E.P.R. quick detach scope mount, I did not have the camming levers tight enough. I noticed this after the second group testing of the CFE 223 ladder while dry firing (reticle jump).
                      I am relieved to see that most of the groups were less than 1.5 inches and the winners were less than 1 inch.
                      Next range report I will test 123 grain Hornady eld match not in ladder form, just with seating depth plus a 5 round group of the #1 winner.
                      Got pics scanned in but wrong size. If I figure out how to resize them I'll put them up.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Lemonaid; 03-17-2019, 05:54 PM. Reason: adding pics

Comment

• CaptnC
                        Warrior
                        • May 2018

Just assembled my BCA 24" barrel today. I used one BCA side charge uppers. I have two now...the first one on a 7.62X39 AR...greatest thing since sliced bread.

It appears I am not much of an AR fan as I am slowly going away from all the common AR attributes LOL...I never liked the forward assist, the charge handle, the carry handle, the front sight, the plastic frt HG, the fixed butt stock, the original caliber...that was the worst!

Very little of the original AR (M16) exist on my rifles now!

I sure I hope mine shoots as good as your does!

Not many BCA haters in this thread...

Comment

• Lemonaid
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by CaptnC View Post
                          Just assembled my BCA 24" barrel today. I used one BCA side charge uppers. I have two now...the first one on a 7.62X39 AR...greatest thing since sliced bread.

It appears I am not much of an AR fan as I am slowly going away from all the common AR attributes LOL...I never liked the forward assist, the charge handle, the carry handle, the front sight, the plastic frt HG, the fixed butt stock, the original caliber...that was the worst!

Very little of the original AR (M16) exist on my rifles now!

I sure I hope mine shoots as good as your does!

Not many BCA haters in this thread...
                          My opinion matches yours, I dislike the rear charging handle and am looking to switching over to a side charger.
                          This is my first true AR type rifle. I've been spoiled as I purchased a Daewoo Dr200 when Kimber imported them. Side charging, Piston driven, fixed ejector uses AR Mags, adjustable gas regulator. Ahead of it time and still a great shooter. My Grendel is a filthy beast at cleaning time in comparison.
                          As for the BCA being a good shooter that has not been established yet, I need a few more range trips but it is looking hopeful!
                          It helped me reading others reports on BCA problems. Inspecting the crown, shortening the ejector spring, stoning the extractor to remove sharp edges (burrs) etc. I've learned a lot on this forum and there is a lot more to be had.
                          Good Luck! and share your results please!

Comment

• Lemonaid
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2019

3rd range trip. Testing three loads. All Hornady brass, CCI 450 primer.
                            Load 1. Sierra 130 Game Changer and 28.0 of CFE 223 with varied seating depths.
                            Load 2. Hornady 95 V-max and 26.0 of Accurate 2200 with varied seating depths.
                            Load 3. Hornady 123 ELD Match 23.5 of Accurate 2200 with varied seating depths.

Best of show:
                            Load 1 at 2.255" for a three round group of .552"
                            Load 1 at 2.270" for a three round group of .850"
                            Load 1 at 2.265" for a three round group of .865"

Load 2 at 2.250" for a two round group of .410"
                            Load 2 at 2.245" for a two round group of .825"
                            Load 2 at 2.240" for a two round group of .950"

Load 3 at 2.300" for a three round group of .850"
                            Load 3 at 2.285" for a seven round group of 1.845"
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Lemonaid; 04-03-2019, 01:36 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• CaptnC
                              Warrior
                              • May 2018

Leamonaid'

You don't happen to have the velocities on these loads?

Comment

Working...
                              X