• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hollis
    Warrior
    • Mar 2019

6.5x55 Swedish Round = 6.5 Grendel?

I ordered my first boxes of 6.5 Grendel ammo for my recently ordered 6.5 Grendel and I just realized that I selected 2 boxes of what I thought was 6.5 Grendel ammo but now see that it is labeled 6.5x55 Swedish. Can this be used in 6.5 Grendel upper?

• babue
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hollis View Post
    I ordered my first boxes of 6.5 Grendel ammo for my recently ordered 6.5 Grendel and I just realized that I selected 2 boxes of what I thought was 6.5 Grendel ammo but now see that it is labeled 6.5x55 Swedish. Can this be used in 6.5 Grendel upper?

https://aimsurplus.com/prvi-partizan...r-fmj-20rd-box
    Sorry NO the rounds are not interchangeable. The Swede is a much larger and longer case.

Comment

• Hollis
      Warrior
      • Mar 2019

Thanks for the reply. I just figured out this isn't going to work. The 6.5x55 is a long action round. I put in request to cancel this with AIM Surplus. Hopefully they can fix this for me before it gets shipped.

Comment

• Javman
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

Or you could by a 6.5x55! Fun to shoot and accurate.

Comment

• Hollis
          Warrior
          • Mar 2019

Great idea!

Comment

• papapaul
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2019

6.6 x55 swed. We've been shooting them since you could buy an M96 for $49.50 back in about '85. I have a couple on stronger actions. Howa and turkish mauser. Load this cartridge to 60,000 psi and it will beat the Creedmore and match the 6.5x284. I easily get 2850 fps with the 129 gr bullet in a 22" barrel. Back in the 1880s smokless powder was the biggest new thing on the planet. The best minds were developing cartridges, using that hard math. Not the marketing department. 7x57 is still one of the best cartridges out there. The .50 BMG and the .222 remington are the 7x57 scaled up and down. Except for the Grendel which has a very legitimate function the other new 6.5s especially the creedmore exist because the 6.5x55 swed wasn't selling. And that's because the old guns were held to 45,000 psi.

Comment

• Deep Six
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2019

^agreed. The swede will match the creedmore at 15 ksi less pressure. Crank it up to full spec 62 ksi in a modern (or at least large ring Mauser) action and it'll run 200-300 fps faster than the creedmore or .260.

I have one I custom built on a VZ-24 action with a 24 barrel from Shaw. I was expecting good hunting accuracy, but I got a tack driver. 5 shots into an inch at 200 yards with 129 great SSTs over a stiff charge of 4831.

Comment

• BCHunter
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

I've been wanting a 6.5 Swede for as long as I was hunting, settled for a 6.5 creedmore and 6.5 grendel.

Comment

• CaptnC
                  Warrior
                  • May 2018

Everyone needs a 6.5X55. I built mine on a late model M48 mauser action. I figured with the 1957 original build date it can easily handle more pressure that the vintage actions.

Comment

• Liquidmetal
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2015

The 6.5x55 is my favorite cartridge. I have 2 Tikkas and a Sako chambered in it. I reload it from mild to wild and love it. If I was limited to one cartridge, the 6.5x55 would be it.

Comment

• roo_ster
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2016

My son's favorite of my milsurps is my M96/38 6.5x55 Swede with a "Snap Site" rear aperture replacing the old leaf. Shoots as good as my commercial rifles with scopes at 100 yards, what a nice 2-stage trigger.

Wish I had started buying back in the 1980s and gotten enough Swedes to equip a rifle squad.
                      Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
                      ----Horace

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

I wish I had bought more than one Swedish Mauser. They were $70 at Woolworths in the early 1990s.

Comment

• 1Shot
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

With the M96 Mauser that has the 29" barrel you can get bullets really moving with loads that according to the Accurate loading manual are safe in it. I have shot their max loads with AA4350 with 120 through 140 gr bullets for years with no problems in M96s.
                          This is what the Accurate manual says. "The SAMMI maximum average pressure for the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser is 46,000 C.U.P. Norma factory ammunition produced 51,000 P.S.I in our test barrel.
                          These loads were developed in P.S.I. and do not exceed the pressure of factory ammunition. The C.I.P. standard is 55,100 P.S.I.

With 46 grs AA4350 and 120 Sierra PH and Nos. BT I average 2950 fps and with 45 grs AA4350 with 140 Sierra GK and Hornady Interlocks I average 2800 fps out of the 29" barrel M96. THESE ARE MAX LOADS.

I have won a number of military rifle bench rest matches using Sierra's suggested accuracy load with their 140 MK. This is a pretty light load with IMR 4895 powder but it is bug hole accurate.

I bought a number of these rifles when they were under $100 and just sold one to thin the heard for $500and it was a mix master of parts numbers.

All of mine are stock military except one. It was one that I picked up $50 at a gun show that some Bubba had already started hacking on the stock. I built a sporting rifle out of it by replacing the bolt handle with a scope friendly one, drilled and tapped for scope, replaced trigger with a Bold single stage at 2 1/2 lbs with slide safety. Put into a composite stock. I left the 29" barrel alone. I have killed a boat load of deer with this rifle. Most all of these rifles are super accurate with almost anything you feed them.
                          Last edited by 1Shot; 04-02-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Hollis
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2019

The 6.5 Swede ammo arrived - any buyers?

Well, I wasn't able to stop the shipment and the Swede ammo came in with the rest of by Grendel ammo. The cartridges are really sleek.

I've really enjoyed the talk about the 6.5 Swede! Although tempting, I'm not going to resolve this problem of the 2 boxes of ammo for which I do not have a gun by buying a gun in which it can be used.

So... Any buyers! Cheap, new ammo!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X