• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • isaacspoon
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2019

Best stubby scope for AR build-out

Hey all, I am in the final stages of my AR build. I havent gotten the TOP NOTCH items for everything, but this AR is purpose built and I expect to see .5" or smaller groups. Reason for the build is primarily hunting, but realistically it will probably see more range time time hunt time because I have another bolt gun i use for deer hunts.

I have been looking for a quality optic to throw on top of the grendel that TRACKS EXCELLENT, and is still fairly clear. tracking is more important to me than clarity since the round can't accurately shoot much passt 1200yds. My first choice of optic would be a leupold mark 5, but those are a bit more than i want to spend on a rifle that wont be my primary rifle for any specific purpose. Because of that, I have started looking for other stubby (short) scopes that will still track reliably at long range (I have a 2k yard range near me, so yes I actually shoot longer distances) and a scope that has acceptable clarity. I would prefer an optic to have at least 14x magnification, but i find myself shooting at or around 20x at distance with all my other optics. It must be variable because it will be used for hunting as well.

Here are a list of some of the scopes I have been considering IF I do not end up just getting a mark 5

-Bushnell DMR or HDMR gen 2
    -Burris XTR 2
    -Eotech vudu
    -sig tango 6

I would prefer a stubby/short scope because my barrel is an 18" and I don't want the scope to be near as long as the handguard/barrel itself.

Any of you guys have any experience with any of these optics on a grendel? pics? pros/cons on an AR? If I had to pic a 2nd place optic behind the leupold mark 5, it would be a tie between the sig and eotech
    Last edited by isaacspoon; 04-26-2019, 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  • centerfire
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Schmidt & Bender PMII Ultra Short 5-25.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

What is the budget you want to stay at?

Comment

• isaacspoon
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
        What is the budget you want to stay at?
        well initially my budget was trying to stay around the 1k range... but since the first time ive picked up and messed with a mark 5 a few years back, i have always wanted one. I keep coming back to the mark 5. The eotech vudu looks interesting, but i havent looked through one yet.

so now i guess my budget is around the 1500/1600 or under mark. the 3.6-18x mark 5 is 12 inches, and I am trying to stay at that length or shorter.

Comment

• isaacspoon
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
          Schmidt & Bender PMII Ultra Short 5-25.
          a little more than I want to spend on a rifle that wont be my primary for any specific job.

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

My thoughts are if you've always wanted the mark5 then get it.

Comment

• isaacspoon
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
              My thoughts are if you've always wanted the mark5 then get it.
              i would be just as happy with something that is directly comparable but costs less. although if i do not find something i like just as much within a month or so, I will most likely buy a mark 5

Comment

• centerfire
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by isaacspoon View Post
                a little more than I want to spend on a rifle that wont be my primary for any specific job.
                Mark 5 then. Flip a coin between the Bushnell and Eotech, they're made in the same place. Sig optics are junk and the XTR2 has low quality glass.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

If you like the Bushies, you should also check out the LRTS's. I'm not a game hunter and can't comment on tracking, but target acquisition is fast on my 3-12 - faster than on my HDMR, ERS and gen 1 XRS. They also do a 4-18 as well as a LRHS series (hunting iso tactical)
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• centerfire
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

I have an LRHSi on my Grendel. It's a nice scope. I also have a DMRi Gen2 and XRS Gen2 H59. The LRTS and LRHS scopes are a perfect fit on a AR15.

Comment

• GjGary
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2018

SWFA HD 4-20
                      Sightron SIII

Comment

• GoneHiking
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2018

I don't know if this is "stubby" enough for you, but it's the one I have on my Grendel, a Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTSi 4.5-18x44. $1,175 was the best price I found. Bushnell was running a 20% rebate up until a couple months ago, so all in it was under a grand. It's a little over your 1K budget without the rebate, but still a great bang for the buck, IMO.

Or $1,141 if you like FDE.

Bushnell's LRHS scopes are usually a little cheaper. GA Precision was selling them for $750 not long ago, but I see now they're back to regular pricing. Maybe you can still find one under 1K if you shop around. ??

Comment

• isaacspoon
                          Unwashed
                          • Apr 2019

as of now i think i will go with an eotech vudu 5-15. it comes in at 11 inches total length. It will probably be a month or two until i am ready to make the purchase.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

The Mark5 HD is clearer, much brighter, much lighter. Nothing against the VUDU. For me, the weight and performance of the Mark5 make it the one to beat on almost any level short of the SB US. They track, they see, they shoot.

Low light conditions are the Mark5's domain. They shine, almost literally.

My two cents.
                            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

If you want a really short scope, these are the shortest, high quality optics that will take semi auto recoil and return-to-battery stroke impacts:

NightForce NX8 1-8x24
                              March Optics 1-8x24 Shorty

An 18" Grendel doesn't look bad with most mid-range variable scopes, including 2.5-10x32 Vortex, Leupold Mk 6, or even 3-15x50 slow scopes.

A slow scope is longer because it has less optical elements, whereas a fast scope is shorter but with more optical elements stacked closely.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X