• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael-95037
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2019

Question: Proper Handguard for BCA side-charging upper

I have most of my parts ready to build my 6.5 Grendel. It will be based on a PSA lower and a BCA side-charging upper. My problem is that I can't seem to find a handguard that fits the upper very well. My last attempt was a Midwest Industries 14" SLH. For those of you who have built rifles with a BCA side charging upper, what hardguard did you use? I'd prefer a handguard in the 13.5-14" range as I have a 18" fluted SS barrel with a rifle length gas system and I think the barrel looks too nice to hide under a 15" handguard.

Any real world suggestions are appreciated.

IMG_0128sm.jpg
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Your problem is you have a side charging upper. Most if not all are not designed too use a handguard with those lil antirotation cuts. Buy a handguard with out them in the length and style you like and rock that bad boy.

Are take a dremel and cut off those tabs and color it back black with a sharpie and safe the case and rock that bad boy.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• BLUE72CAMARO
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2019

Funny you should bring this up buy I have the same problem on my young mfg. side charging upper. Luckily I have a mill so I plan to open up Aero Atlas s-one up to work with it.

Comment

• FRB6.5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2018

BCM handguards should work given their anti rotation tab goes against the top rail Vs the receiver sides.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Midway USA Sells the AR-Stoner hand guards. M-Lock and Keymod are both available.

Here's one getting ready to be fitted to my BCA Side Charger. No trimming required, and multiple lengths are available.

ETA: And whaddya know? They're on sale.

Last edited by NugginFutz; 06-05-2019, 10:05 PM. Reason: Whaddya Know!
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• drewthebrave
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

I used an ALG handguard on mine, and it only took about 5 minutes with a hand file on the tabs to get it to fit.

Comment

• Michael-95037
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              Midway USA Sells the AR-Stoner hand guards. M-Lock and Keymod are both available.

Here's one getting ready to be fitted to my BCA Side Charger. No trimming required, and multiple lengths are available.

ETA: And whaddya know? They're on sale.
              NugginFutz -- Thanks. Looks like it will do the job nicely. Tell me a little about your rifle. Barrel length, gas system, hand guard length. I've got an 18" barrel with rifle-length gas system. I'm wondering which hand guard length I need.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                Warrior
                • Oct 2018

Need a 13.5" to cover typical low profile short gas block on rifle length.

Comment

• Michael-95037
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
                  Need a 13.5" to cover typical low profile short gas block on rifle length.
                  Thanks. That's what I thought. I've been looking for a 13.5"-14" hand guard, but all I seem to be able to find are 13" (too short) and 15" (too long in my opinion). I know 15" will work, but I want to see a little more of my barrel. Decisions, decisions....

Comment

• keystone183
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2013

I have a BCA side charge with an aeroprecision quantum handguard on it. No fitting required.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Michael-95037 View Post
                      NugginFutz -- Thanks. Looks like it will do the job nicely. Tell me a little about your rifle. Barrel length, gas system, hand guard length. I've got an 18" barrel with rifle-length gas system. I'm wondering which hand guard length I need.
                      Michael - Nothing much to say, just yet. As you can see in the picture, the barrel is not yet mounted. I can say, however, that I have used this particular handguard on a couple of other builds with conventional uppers. Very solid and, from either a bipod or front rest, I am able to put some very respectable groups together on those builds. The only concern you may have is if you try to go with a bull barrel and a clamp on gas block. They might not fit beneath the hand guard.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• CaptnC
                        Warrior
                        • May 2018

Hey Michael...I just did two yesterday. One of the FGG had the two tabs. I cut them off. Then filed it flush. I keep a bottle of Aluminium Black handy. If you follow the directions it works great.

The FHG I used was off Ebay...it's very slim...almost too slim. I had to relocate a rail to keep it from hitting the gas block, but for $33.00. I didn't mind movin the rail.

I tried to get you a link for the FHG, but the guy is no longer carrying them. That's the only problem with Ebay. But it was the clamp on style, so indexing was not an issue.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

I actually built a 16" GB barrel into an upper based on this BCA side charger last year. I found the same result, using a Seekins 15" handguard. I used a hacksaw to remove the rotation lock tabs from the back of the handguard, and used a file to smooth the rear face square with the rail. I took it to a gunsmith buddy and he squared the handguard the remaining 2 thousandths, and I mounted it up and never looked back. As long as dad doesn't do anything too aggressive, it will remain square and will be fine.

He loves it, and has started his conversion to Grendel.
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                            I actually built a 16" GB barrel into an upper based on this BCA side charger last year. I found the same result, using a Seekins 15" handguard. I used a hacksaw to remove the rotation lock tabs from the back of the handguard, and used a file to smooth the rear face square with the rail. I took it to a gunsmith buddy and he squared the handguard the remaining 2 thousandths, and I mounted it up and never looked back. As long as dad doesn't do anything too aggressive, it will remain square and will be fine.

He loves it, and has started his conversion to Grendel.

And so there went ksw’s remaining inheritance. Unless, of course, your dear old dad wills you the firearms collection.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

Heh, well, if so and it serves him well, I'm happy. He's a bigger firearm entheusiast than I am, but he can't find the time to enjoy his hobby. Poor guy. Happy father's day.
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                              X