• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
    In terms of thermo, there are actually 2 ways the outside could be cooler than a different barrel, 1) the heat is trapped inside (the mid-layer in effect acting as an insulator) so the outside feels cooler. 2) The overall heat transfer is faster than a traditional barrel (the mid-layer and aluminum acting as a faster conductor) so the outside would be cooler and the inside would be cooler. In #2 the heat is removed from the barrel so it won't feel as hot. Aluminum is a faster heat transfer material so it would depend on whether the mid layer is faster or slower at the Xfer...
    I think the answer is in Fourier's Law...

And the fact that it takes more energy to heat aluminum than it does to heat steel.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• centerfire
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
      In terms of thermo, there are actually 2 ways the outside could be cooler than a different barrel, 1) the heat is trapped inside (the mid-layer in effect acting as an insulator) so the outside feels cooler. 2) The overall heat transfer is faster than a traditional barrel (the mid-layer and aluminum acting as a faster conductor) so the outside would be cooler and the inside would be cooler. In #2 the heat is removed from the barrel so it won't feel as hot. Aluminum is a faster heat transfer material so it would depend on whether the mid layer is faster or slower at the Xfer...

I've never dumped 2 mags of 223 (60 rounds) that fast so I don't have any personal knowledge of the final temp of said barrel, I'm sure it's really hot...... BUT in my shooting scenarios I don't expect to do so, thus any advantage offered there is not much of a draw for me. If I had $650 for my barrel, like earlier I'd probably get a fluted Lilja or something, which would also be super stiff plus faster cooling than a std barrel -- not to mention embarrassingly accurate. "Embarrassing" in that I wouldn't have any more excuses for Stonehendges or scatter-prints!!! ROTFL!!!

But that's just me. I am glad someone is trying out new designs and letting real shooters test them in the real world -- that's how progress is made.
      I've never owned or shot a DRACOS barrel. Proof Research carbon barrels do what you describe in your second scenario. Historically CF barrel wraps were effectively just insulators that kept the outside cool and trapped heat in the steel liner. Proof uses some type of ceramic epoxy that is more conductive than steel. You can visibly see the heat dissipation causing mirage where a normal steel barrel wouldn't. I bring that up because DRACOS very well could work the same principle.

As for the price, I don't know what liner they are using. If it is a high quality single point cut rifled blank then the price is in line with any other high end barrel. When I was looking for a fluted cut rifled Grendel barrel they were all in the $500 to $900 price range. The value is going to depend on the blank DRACOS uses though. If it's an ER Shaw blank then obviously the price won't line up anymore.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

One more range report to publish (123 gr American Gunner) hopefully tomorrow.

Next week I will move away from ammo testing and look to explore tuning the gas system, cold shot bore shift, and internal "core" barrel temps.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Last one for awhile - Enjoy

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                Warrior
                • Jan 2014

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

No doubt the Dracos, Wraith, and Wolf/TNT mix loads work great together. I was pulling the trigger as fast as I could get settled back on the sandbags and on target, about 1 shot ever 6-7 seconds.
                  Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                  My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

Working...
                  X