• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharpshooter33
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2016

Monster 18" barrel accuracy with old man and bad eyes

Ok. I see a lot of questions on the Monster barrels and nothing recent on accuracy results.
    This is a couple groups compared to my Ruger bolt gun in Grendel and my PSA 18" barrel.
    These groups were with my old eyes. I don't see well anymore for shooting clover leaf groups so take that into account. The barrels on all of them are quite capable of shooting way better than I can.
    The My AR is the Monster 18" barrel.
    The Ruger is my Bolt Grendel
    The PSA is the 18" PSA

123gr Hornady Black factory ammo

100 yards and all barrels have under 100 rounds in them.
    The pic was a little to big for the forums so I linked to my photobucket
    again ALL barrels are capable of better groups than that with a better shooter.
    Last edited by sharpshooter33; 08-02-2019, 05:24 AM.
  • sharpshooter33
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2016

received_2777876858892652_zpslu1tkoof.jpg08012019 grendel.jpg

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Noting wrong with those groups at all sir congrats.

Comment

• munchie3409
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

Thanks for posting your results...I always like to see pictures vs claims on the internet. They all seem to shoot fine...the Ruger looks to be the best.

With the Ruger, have you had issues with the bolt as I've seen the bolt is not smooth. For a price point of around $430.00 the Ruger seems to be a good value, especially since it also uses AR mags.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Those will all kill a deer

Comment

• Labrat198
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

Looks similar to what I get with my 18" Monster when I don't complacently fall apart

Comment

• mv1arms
              Bloodstained
              • May 2019

With my 18 inch green mountain monster I've been getting consistently 4 out of five shot groups about 3/4 to 1 moa, and then usually a flyer that puts the group at 1 to 1.5 moa. Factory ammo has been 1 moa (federal 130 berger) to 3 moa (hornady sst). Overall a good barrel for the money.

Comment

• muvef
                Warrior
                • Mar 2017

Mine likes 28.1 grns of TAC, CCI 450's and Starline brass.

Comment

• sharpshooter33
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2016

All of the rifles are tighter than I shot. The Ruger bolt is acceptable. It has a machining marks and very small ribs. If you don't like the ribs some people have polished them out. I don't mind. It reminds me of my old Winchester Model 70 when I got it. Takes awhile to smooth it out shooting or you can basically lap it if you want.
                  Only down side of the Ruger is the bolt throw is longer than needed since it's a short action and not a micro action. Haven't had any problems with it, but remember less than 100 rounds thru it. I like using the same mags for both it and my AR. That and the price for the precision was the selling point for me.
                  For the price I have no complaints since I tinker anyway (already added a new bolt handle).
                  I know that the Monster and the Ruger would both be submoa with a person that could see the reticle.
                  I'm not sure with the PSA yet. it doesn't shoot bad, I've just not been excited about the 100 yard groups with it yet.
                  We will see with some more air time and maybe some better glasses.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

My PSA didn't tighten up until I had 200+ rounds through it. I did a barrel break in with mine as well. You need to clean it after every range session and not heat the barrel up too much until it does tighten up. If by 250 rounds there is no improvement, then I would think it is what it is in regard to it's accuracy. Your Ruger shot very well. Mine isn't there ..yet. (I hope). Nice shooting!

Comment

Working...
                    X