• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Upgraded Rifle Range Report

I had built my SBR with one of the original Faxon 12" group buy barrels. It shot 1 inch all day long with eld-m, American gunner, and my lehigh defense 110g controlled chaos hand loads. One day I read a report from Lrrpf52 about his buddies 12" bartlein from precision firearms shooting under 1/2 an inch. DARN YOU LRRPF52. I knew immediately I had to upgrade. I called Precision Firearms and told him I wanted a 12" bartlein and Mark told me no I didn't. He said I wanted a 12" Krieger. I said ok and he sold me a 12" for stupid cheap and it arrived in under 2 weeks. I should have bought 2. I took my upper apart to swap barrels but had some issues with my original handguard. (faxon was carbine length gas system, krieger is mid length and gas block was outside the handguard). I didn't like it so I had to make some changes.

I also knew that my NightForce NX 8 having a 1.25 MOA aiming dot wouldn't help me shoot these tiny little groups so I sold it and got the March 1-10x 24 which has a 0.25 MOA aiming dot.

So I made up 20 rounds of a really light load for break in only today. There has been no load development. I just wanted to go get my optic on paper at 100 yards and do my break in routine. John Krieger has a video on youtube where he pretty much says there is no reason to do a break in. Just go shoot but I don't see it hurting so I do it anyway. So once I was done doing my shoot/clean, shoot/clean cycle I decided to shoot my last 3 shots at 100 yards for a group. I know 3 shot groups don't mean anything but for no load development with a brand new barrel im extremely excited. (The really large hole is my black powder gun, the 3 in the red are the Krieger 3 shot group.

Moral of the story is it never hurts to call Precision Firearms and I highly recommend you do it.

The target picture loaded sideways for some reason.
    Attached Files
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Comment

• maximus83
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
      I called Precision Firearms and told him I wanted a 12" bartlein and Mark told me no I didn't. He said I wanted a 12" Krieger.
      Nice upgrade. He told me the same thing about Krieger.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

I made up a bunch of ammo and was supposed to go start testing some loads Thursday but getting gas became an issue here in south Florida so i decided to wait till after the storm.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

I made up a bunch of ammo and was supposed to go start testing some loads Thursday but getting gas became an issue here in south Florida so i decided to wait till after the storm.
          If there is still time you can ship it to my ffl guy and I will test it for you lmao.

Comment

• Brazz04
            Warrior
            • Aug 2018

IMG_3901.jpg

I bought a 14.5" Krieger from Mark as well, took a little while, but it's totally worth it. This is shots about 30-35 through it. It just keeps getting better and better.

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

I went out today with my 12" Krieger from Precision Firearms. I went out last week with some 110g Make Trex with CFE 223 and it was not a good day. I didn't get a group under 1.5". I know CFE can be finicky on the lighter pills so I called Maker bullets and the owner was actually kinda shocked I wasn't happy with 1.5 " groups but he recommended I try some 8202. I went back today and had multiple loads under 1 moa and only 2 loads that were over 1 moa. I am much happier. Unfortunately I didn't get to the velocity I was wanting but I still have room to add some powder.

110g Maker Trex, 8208, CCI 450, 2.230, Velocities were about 15 feet in front of the barrel
              26.1g 2133 fps
              26.4 2152 fps
              26.7 2187 fps
              27.0 2208 fps
              27.3 2231 fps
              27.6 2254 fps
              27.9 wouldn't register, getting errors
              28.2 2313 fps
              28.5 errors

My lighter loads grouped better. Groups started opening up as the day went on. Not sure if its barrel temp related, harmonics, mirage, shooter fatigue, or what at this point. First load at 26.1 was a 7 shot group with the 8th shot being away to the left. That 1 shot to the left was first shot of the day. Not sure if I pulled it or that was the cold barrel impact. I do use a barrel cooler, and give plenty of time for barrel cooling between shots. Our range goes cold every 15 minutes. I come back from checking my target shoot one group, put in my barrel cooler and wait 10 minutes and then shoot my second group of 4. Then wait for range to go cold and do it again.

I use a Caldwell chrono and it got cloudy and most of my velocities were reading in the 1500s on the final strings.
              Attached Files

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

I went out today with my 12" Krieger from Precision Firearms. I went out last week with some 110g Make Trex with CFE 223 and it was not a good day. I didn't get a group under 1.5". I know CFE can be finicky on the lighter pills so I called Maker bullets and the owner was actually kinda shocked I wasn't happy with 1.5 " groups but he recommended I try some 8202. I went back today and had multiple loads under 1 moa and only 2 loads that were over 1 moa. I am much happier. Unfortunately I didn't get to the velocity I was wanting but I still have room to add some powder.

110g Maker Trex, 8208, CCI 450, 2.230, Velocities were about 15 feet in front of the barrel
                26.1g 2133 fps
                26.4 2152 fps
                26.7 2187 fps
                27.0 2208 fps
                27.3 2231 fps
                27.6 2254 fps
                27.9 wouldn't register, getting errors
                28.2 2313 fps
                28.5 errors

My lighter loads grouped better. Groups started opening up as the day went on. Not sure if its barrel temp related, harmonics, mirage, shooter fatigue, or what at this point. First load at 26.1 was a 7 shot group with the 8th shot being away to the left. That 1 shot to the left was first shot of the day. Not sure if I pulled it or that was the cold barrel impact. I do use a barrel cooler, and give plenty of time for barrel cooling between shots. Our range goes cold every 15 minutes. I come back from checking my target shoot one group, put in my barrel cooler and wait 10 minutes and then shoot my second group of 4. Then wait for range to go cold and do it again.

I use a Caldwell chrono and it got cloudy and most of my velocities were reading in the 1500s on the final strings.
                Cfe 223 works great with the 85 grain makers I'm useing but it's got to be at the top end of the load range for it to group well.

Comment

• CJW
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Nice looking rig Bigs....

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

I went back today with some loads of 8208. They shot so so much better then CFE but I also changed the seating depth. I am going to reload some with CFE at this seating depth to since I seem to get more velocity from the CFE then the 8208. Maybe its just me. Either way here are two groups. 110g Maker TREX with 28.2 and 28.4g of 8208 seated at 2.215 (I don't have the polymer tips). Out of my 12" they shot at 2300 and 2310 fps.

282.jpg284.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X