• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dashry1
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2019

6.5 Grendel Ar15 platform

Alright this is the second time to the range with the 6.5 first time all factory ammo. Today I went and shot some reloads ballistic tips and some Fort Scott TUmble on Impact rounds. First 2-3 shots all was well then the issue started 10 rd Mag first shot no problem. Second shot firing pin hits the primer and no go cycle the bolt next round no issue then try to shot again snap pin hit primer but no go. I started loading one at a time without issue and reused the ones that misfired without issue. What?s up with my gun approximately 50 rounds through the system. This is a build for my son to hunt this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    DAS
  • BCHunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

Since the issue is with the reloads and not factory, your reload specs would help, primer? Brass, # times fired?

I would suspect it's either with primer used, primer seating depth, or power of the spring on your trigger.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Kind of sounds like weak hammer spring and tuff primers are maybe primer seating depth.

I wouldn't rule out that when stripping a round out the mag that something is dragging enough to slow the action down and not close fully.

Try lubing everything up soaking wet with a good lube like 3n1 oil or clp and hand cycle the action bout 200 times. Then clean it up, light lube and give it anouther try.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

You guys forgetting about the short firing pin from tool craft, wasn’t it?

Who made your bcg and firing pin?

Have yo measured your firing pin to verify it’s in spec?
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

Two things you may want to check.
          1. Are the primers seated all the way to the bottom of the case? If they are not, the firing pin gets robbed of energy when it hits as it will seat them deeper on strike.
          2. Amount of case sizing. If the case isn't sized enough down it may be causing the bolt not to close 100 percent. A safety feature on these type of bolts is as the bolt opens the bolt head extends and the firing pin isn't long enough to make it to through the firing pin hole.
          So if the bolt isn't nearly 100 percent closed the firing pin will stop short giving light strikes.

Hope you solve it and let us know the solution!

Comment

• Dashry1
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2019

Went back out to the ranch to test some reloads. It was the primers for the most part. I am now having issues of jamming while feeding and putting pretty good sized dents on the brass. And when I looked after the second time this happened it was almost as if the upper cartridge was loading and the one beneath was trying to load as well. What magazine is everyone using. I have a metal one do not know the manufacture just states 6.5 Grendel on bottom. It is also doing this with factory loads. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Comment

• mdram
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
              You guys forgetting about the short firing pin from tool craft, wasn’t it?

Who made your bcg and firing pin?

Have yo measured your firing pin to verify it’s in spec?
              the toolcraft firing pin is is shorter
              they did not lengthen the bolt when changing the face from .125 to .136
              just some targets for printing
              https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                the toolcraft firing pin is is shorter
                they did not lengthen the bolt when changing the face from .125 to .136
                Im pretty sure that's changed as I have one that has a standard length FP and extended bolt. Confusing I know but I think they're with a majority of the Grendel stuff now

Comment

Working...
                X