• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALhunter
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2019

First build advice

I have recently discovered 6.5 Grendel and decided it's time to put one together. I have been reading everything I can and the amount of information and manufacturers of parts is pretty overwhelming, as are the mixed reviews on many of the manufacturers. I usually try to buy from a well known manufacturer because although some of the smaller guys put out great stuff at a good price their warranty doesn't mean much if they close up shop. What I am looking for is a rifle to hunt whitetail and hogs with out to around 300-350 yards. I would like to be able to target shoot out to 600-700 but am not looking to compete. Initially I was going to just get the Larue UU kit because it seemed like a great value for what you get but this was sidelined because of the current 14-16 week wait time for the upper with another 2-3 weeks for the lower. I have a complete spikes lower (minus stock, buffer tube, buffer and spring) that I could use but also wouldn't mind getting a new upper/lower combo especially if it will affect accuracy. I don't have any reloading equipment as of now so most likely will be using factory ammo unless I really get into it. I am usually a buy once cry once guy but since I am not looking at competition am not sure I need a ~$2200 rifle for my uses. I wouldn't mind building but don't have many of the tools necessary right now so that would factor into the cost as well. Looking to stay around $1k tops for a complete upper (want m-lok) or could spend a little more for a full rifle. I am thinking an 18" barrel from what I have read will suit my needs but could be wrong. Anyone have suggestions?
    Last edited by ALhunter; 09-20-2019, 04:17 PM.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

6.5 Grendel Neptune EL V-I This Unit is our Entry Level Upper for those wanting Value. It's not a Neptune IV or V but it will still shoot under 1 MOA and is great for hunters! Barrel Options: Criterion Barrel Chambered in house by Precision Firearms Available in 16, 18, or 20 inch 1-8 Twist Bolt is matched and properly headspaced to barrel. Includes Our Own Phalanx Match carrier andd Bolt Fluting Optional Upper: Precision Firearms Forged Upper receiver with Forward Assist, Shell Deflector, and Port Cover BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 or Mod 3 charging Handle. Optional Billet Side Charge Upgrade Muzzle Attachment: PF NOX Flash Hider Optional PF LMD Brake fitted to barrel to reduce recoil to less than 5.56 Handguard: Troy MLOK This is a Light Upper. Weight 4lbs, 14oz. We use true SAAMI Spec 6.5 Grendel Chamber Use only magazines made for 6.5 Grendel. Absolutely NO other modifications REQUIRED to lower. Will mate to any quality Mil-spec lower except some Colts with the Large diameter takedown pins. We do stock the adapte...

Call about timetable.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Just did a bit of quick looking around and seems like Robert Francis (aka "Beetle" ha!) the Irishman Orourke - nominated for AR15 seller of the Year... in-stock seems tight. Might be best for you to get good quality components like the barrel, trigger, optics, then get some pieces/parts and build one.
      That is, unless Mark (PF) has one on the shelf for you or something.
      I'd suggest either 18" or 20" barrel for your stated purposes and distance, just my $0.02
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• ALhunter
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2019

Thanks, I sent an email to them I will see what he has to say.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Depends on how much you want to spend.
          I have a 6.5 Grendel 22” Criterion HBAR Barrel that cost me $270 delivered.The barrel weighs around 3 lbs.Not too heavy for a hunting rifle.It shoots 1/2” groups at 100 yrds.And I still haven't Perfected a load for it,as I’ve only put just over 100 rds through it .Barely broke in.
          Criterion has an 18” Hybrid 6.5 Grendel Barrel that weighs under 2 1/4 lbs.This one may be better for hunting.My 22” shoots well out to 600 yrds.I am sure the 18” Hybrid will be just as accurate.Every Criterion I’ve ever owned or heard of someone owning shot well.Just remember,it will need at least 100rd break in period.

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

ALh, prioritize your spending - put your top money in the barrel and get a good upper receiver ( forged, not billet ) and be attentive to how they are mated. Then get a good trigger assembly. After that, season to taste. Be sure to true the receiver extension and then use loctite to "glue" the barrel into the upper.

Comment

Working...
            X