• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce_Leroy
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2018

BA Hanson accuracy questions

I have put about 150 rounds through my 16 inch Hanson barrel. The first 100 or so were just sighting in and break in rounds. All wolf or Black eldm. The best I could do in 3-5 shot groups were about 1.5 inches with the black. I was shooting prone with a bipod.

Barrel nut was tourqued to 45ft-lbs
    The upper is an aero enhanced
    Muzzle device is a vg6 65 gamma....

Now here is where I feel I need some insight. When I installed the md I tightened and loosened 3 times and it timed fairly easy. The problem is the 5/8 crush washer looks like it may have crushed off center some how. Could that be causing these flyers on shots 4 and 5? Cold bore shots are pretty much on the money.
    Last edited by Bruce_Leroy; 10-17-2019, 07:48 PM.
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

My BA didn't start shooting until after 150rds.

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

If the MD is canted to one side it could definitely cause issues. The gasses will be acting upon the bullet unevenly. Some people will argue that I’m wrong, but I’ve seen it with muzzle devices incorrectly installed and my own form 1 suppressor that I bored .095” over .264 and shot a .300 win mag through it. No baffle strikes but the bullet was impacting ~ 3’ low at 100 yards. Grouped well, but dramatic poi change. This suppressor only affects all my .264 rifles by 1/4-1/2 moa. Put his suppressor on and poi was back on target.
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• FRB6.5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2018

Accu-Washer®: Perfect muzzle brake alignment with one shim. Eliminates multi-shim issues. Ensures accuracy and safety.

I can't recommend these highly enough for muzzle devices. Allows proper timing with much lower torque values if desired.

Comment

• Bruce_Leroy
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2018

I?m gonna pull the gamma and inspect the crown and shoot it with no md. I just read about similar experience with a BA barrel that was having issues and it was the muzzle device. I don?t need .5 moa but I would like to see it shoot at least 1 moa

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

My BA's all do less than 1" as long as I do my part, they definitely have that in them.
            I use a lot of VG gamma's.
            The trick is to use either the accuwasher system (like Frb says above) or a jam nut (you can get 1-3 5/8-24 jam nuts on Amazon, even 1/2-28's for 556's)... something that is a) not thin so it doesn't warp when tightened, and b) not a crush washer so it doesn't crunch off-center. Thing that's doubly nice about jam nuts is a) it only takes one and it's universal, and b) get one with flats so your crescent or torque wrench works on it. Use the j-n along with some loctite blue and you don't have to "torque it" to a set ft-lbs just make sure it's tight with the MB timed (2 skinny crescents work, one for the jamnut and one for your MB). The jam nut will leave a little gap between it and the barrel-shoulder but it's not a big deal.
            I have also used the accuwashers and they also work very well.
            Flat surfaces to flat surfaces avoids any torque or distortion or off-centering at the muzzle.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

Ive built 2 rifles with the ba hanson barrels one in .223 wylde one in 6.5 grendel, they both have all aero parts M4E1, and the V6 eppsilon MD. They both shoot better then i can utilize in field positions.
              What optic and trigger are you using?
              Hanson sight in.jpg

Comment

• Bruce_Leroy
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2018

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
                Ive built 2 rifles with the ba hanson barrels one in .223 wylde one in 6.5 grendel, they both have all aero parts M4E1, and the V6 eppsilon MD. They both shoot better then i can utilize in field positions.
                What optic and trigger are you using?
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]14770[/ATTACH]

Using a Larue MBT and a Leupold Mark AR in an aero mount

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Is that the lightwt aero mount? there have been reported problems with that mount...
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

If it's a lightweight barrel, I would be happy and move on enjoying it every time I went to the range.

The 1 MOA thing is really for 10" groups at 1000yds from sniper systems.

Bench rest guys are looking to beat the last record, which is measured in inches shrinking every few years at 1000yds.

If it's for hunting, tell me the practical advantage a 1 MOA rifle has over a 1.5 MOA rifle at 200 or even 300yds. How about 400yds?

If you're good enough to visualize the heart at any of those distances, what does the math say about your ability to put a round through it with a 1 MOA vs 1.5 MOA rifle?

1 MOA at 200yds = 2" / 1.5 MOA at 200yds = 3"
                    1 MOA at 300yds = 3" / 1.5 MOA at 300yds = 4.5"
                    1 MOA at 400yds = 4" / 1.5 MOA at 400yds = 6"

The lungs are huge on a deer, generally around 10-12".

Most steel plates are 12-18".

We know you're not entering a competition with a Hanson profile lightweight Grendel carbine with small plates like in PRS, so I would and have been tickled with carbines that will shoot 1.5 MOA, especially if the barrels were in the $200 range.

When I want carbines that will shoot sub-MOA consistently just because, I've bought Liljas for twice that.
                    Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-18-2019, 03:47 PM. Reason: auto-correct
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MarkS
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2018

My 12.5" BA barrel does not like the 123 ELDM Black ammo. At best its 1.5-2.0 moa. With handloads of 95 vmax, 100 TTSX, 100 Nosler BT Hunting, this thing shoots.0.4-0.9 moa. Also, it likes the COL to be as long as I can get it without actually touching the lands.

Comment

• Bruce_Leroy
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        Is that the lightwt aero mount? there have been reported problems with that mount...
                        Yes it is the spr mount

Comment

• Bruce_Leroy
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by MarkS View Post
                          My 12.5" BA barrel does not like the 123 ELDM Black ammo. At best its 1.5-2.0 moa. With handloads of 95 vmax, 100 TTSX, 100 Nosler BT Hunting, this thing shoots.0.4-0.9 moa. Also, it likes the COL to be as long as I can get it without actually touching the lands.
                          I am going to try some other ammo. I?m not expecting to shoot ragged holes with this gun but I still would like to make sure I?m getting the most out of the barrel.

Comment

• Figure4LegLock
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2018

I?m also at the same spot with the same barrel. Don?t know if I want to shoot it more or buy another barrel due to the ammo costs.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bruce_Leroy View Post
                              Yes it is the spr mount
                              Speaking from multiple experience's with that mount.

Buy something else, they may be great for a light weight close range blaster style setup but they are not for presision. That and they tend to break the locking lugs off way to easy.

Personally I like the leapold mark 2 mounts much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X