• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shooter31
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2018

New build- barrel?

Going to start my son on a build and am deciding on a barrel. I used a odin works in mine. Finally got it to shoot 123 set's. Would like less finicky barrel this time. ( I may do another one my self w/ a lilja).
    Considering a Faxon match gunner, has it been known to be a good shooter?
    Hes on a tighter budget so lilia not a good choice for him(I'm aware of the cry once theory)
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

What kind of budget is he working with?

Comment

• Shooter31
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2018

Total in a complete upper assembly in the neighborhood of 6 to 8 hundred.
      Not top end stuff but definitely not junk either. Mid grade, I know the barrel is the most important aspect for accuracy. I believe the liljas are around 4 to 5 hundred barrel alone.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

What length barrel are y'all looking for? Reason I ask is I just pick up a 12.5 and bolt from Mark at PF for under 400.

Might be worth a call too him and see what he has instock.

Also we have group buy barrels down in the group buy section that probably will fill y'alls needs well and still leave money in the budget.

Avoid BCA barrels, uppers and rifles.

I had one of the group buy 20 inch barrels and it was a good shooter.

If y'all not against a bolt action. With a budget of 600 to 800 bucks you could do a howa or CZ bolt action grendel. Be worth seeing if brownells has the how barreled actions on sale for black friday.

Comment

• Shooter31
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2018

Want to stick with a ar build. 18" barrel maybe 20.
          Wilson combat barrels good on a grendel? They have a sale on.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Shooter31 View Post
            Really couldnt say on the Wilson never used them before. I'm sure Google will turn up some reports on them.

Check the group buy section. Might be some 18 or 20 inch barrels leavt. Follow the six5arms link and get a bolt as well.

BFT the owner of this site has the barrels made by green mountain he also has the bolts made but not sure by whom.

Both the barrels and bolts are good soild products, should be able to get barrel and bolt for around 200 are lil more.

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

Ballistic Advantage has 30% off Black Friday sale. Might be an option.

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

If your budget is 600-800 and you don't want a finicky barrel just call precision firearms. Im site they will have a black Friday sale coming online soon

Comment

• L-Ray
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Shooter31 View Post
                  I hope Wilson Combat is good. I just installed an 18" 6.5 Grendel from them in upper I'm working on. Waiting for a few parts to arrive to finish it.
                  Last edited by L-Ray; 11-27-2019, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Shooter31
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2018

What about those monster barrels? Worth considering?

Comment

• Old Bob
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2019

I have 2 Wilson Combat barrels, one is a 20" 5.56mm NATO & the other is an 18" 7.62x40WT. Neither barrel is finicky... they shoot anything I put through them accurately. I've used both ARs in 3 gun matches & know that I'll hit what I shoot at if my aim is true. If my 6.5 Grendel Odin barrel doesn't work out (so far I'm pleased), I'll get a Wilson Combat unit. They're pricier than other options but I feel confident I'll get a good shooter.
                      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• olde sarge
                        Warrior
                        • May 2014

Old Bob, I don't own a Wilson Combat barrel but did buy one for my Grandson in 6.5 Grendel. I got him the 20" unthreaded barrel and he has sent me pictures of 5 shot groups hovering near .75" with factory Hornady Black 123 gr. This from a new shooter.

Comment

• A_National_Acrobat
                          Unwashed
                          • Dec 2019

I'm new here and it's just my 2 cents but I recently purchased a Faxon 18" s/s 5r Gunner barrel & a toolcraft DLC bcg for under $300.00 they also through in free shipping. At a website called, Arm or Ally I had it shipped to Michigan and got it in 3 days. It's a good shooter.

Comment

• RobertFL
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

The 20 inch barrels in the Group buy look really good and are priced nicely. Before I knew of this Forum I bought a Faxon Match Grade 16" Gunner and it groups Hornady 123 SSTs 1 inch or better at 100 yards when I am able to hold still..

Comment

• FLshooter
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2019

Surprised no one recommended a Crierion barrel.Around $350 from PF or Craddock.If you want fast,you can get a pre fit Criterion from Brownells delivered for under $300.
                              I own 7or 8 a Criterions.Little break in and all are shooters.

Comment

Working...
                              X