• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GREYBUFF
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

Lucky 1000 yard shot?

After killing my little buck last week with the GRENDEL, I put a new Nikon P Tactical MOA 3-9 scope on it and took it out today to site it in. We were in the central AZ. Desert at a cool 55 degrees with bright sunshine, and slight wind coming out of the SW.
    After zeroing it at 100 yards, I started looking for large rocks across the canyon in front of us to shoot at. Hit one at 375 yard, then one at 500. As I was looking for something a little farther out I noticed a white spot off in the distance so I put the scope on it and it appeared to be a steel plate. Checked it with the spotting scope and sure enough it was a man target at 1000 yards+.
    GF started spotting for me and could not see any hits because the background was brush behind it and a rockslide below. I spotted a dirt area about 75 yards in front, so I started shooting at it to figure out where my hits were and once I had the correct setting for the dirt I moved back to the steel and on the second or third shot my girlfriend shouted "hit dead center". Couldn't repeat the shot but ended up finding another steel target at about 750 yards and dinged it several times. I was using factory
    123 gr Hornady ammo. Can't wait to get my final reloads worked up so I can do some real long range work.

AERO M4E lower
    Hardened Arms upper
    Odin Works Zulu II stock
    Nikon P Tactical 3-9
    I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.
  • Javman
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Nice! Fun to shoot the Grr!

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Did your scope have enough elevation to dial in for the extended range or was this all Ky windage at the man size steel target? Either way lots of fun and addicting.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
        Warrior
        • Nov 2018

Yes my scope is a mil-dot so I held over about 15 mils, with plenty more available. This was my first time using this scope, so I felt pretty good about the hit.
        I used to shoot 1000 yards with blackpowder cartridge using a vernier tang sight and we had gotten pretty good with that.
        But it was a real kick shooting at a target that you know is 1000+, but have no idea exactly how far. My range finder stops @ 600yds, so we went out to BP and picked up a Leupold that is supposed to go out to 1600 yards. It was a smoking sale that ends 12/1.
        I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I’ve shot out passed 800 yards with my 6.5 Grendel but I’ve gone to 20 MOA mounts so I can dial my scope to the distance I’m shooting.

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

I currently only have the 600yrd range at the club.But,I rang steel at 850 yrds last year before the county bought my friends property.123gn Hornady ELDM and 120g Sierra MK.

Comment

• Gringoloco
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Range or just out in the desert in AZ? I'm on the east side of the phoenix metro area, usually go over by 4 peaks but always looking out for decent spots to shoot longer range especially with steel targets.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                Warrior
                • Nov 2018

I was directly across the road from the 4 peaks turn off. On weekends it's like a war zone out there, but since I am retired I was able to go during the week and get a premium spot.
                I actually found 3 targets out there that ranged from approximately 750 to well over 1000 yards. I just picked up a new rangefinder that far exceeds the 600 yards my old Leupold was capable of. BP had a Leupold that goes to 1600 yards on sale the other day for $249.
                PM me and we can talk......paul

Comment

Working...
                X