• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raf
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2019

What Barrel Length??

I have a CZ 527, 6.5 Grendel and love it. But I am also a lover of the AR platform and want to buy an upper in the Grendel caliber. What would be the best barrel length to get?
    I don't really have the ability to shoot long range and would be using the set up for hunting deer in the thick woods of Virginia.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

12 to 16 inch.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

No reason to go longer than 16" for short range hunting. I love both my 12" and am confident in them out to 250.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

if its a rifle, then 16"
        if its an sbr or pistol, then shorter is fine
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Rosecrans1
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

I agree with the others..................if you aren't going to long range target shoot and you want to hunt with it in brush/heavy woods, then I would go with a 16 inch barrel. The 16 just handles better. It feels better balanced in an AR.

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

in an AR platform,I’d go 16 - 20 in length ,light contour.I would look at the Criterion Hybrid barrels.I have a couple.Light and accurate.

Comment

• 1Shot
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Just to cover all the bases from close to mid range I chose an 18" Oden Works barrel. It balances and handles really well and shoots outstanding. I put a Primary Arms 1-8X24 with the ACSS reticle on it. Put it on 1 and it is about like a red dot with plenty of view but then you have more power if needed. I also have a 1-6x24 on a 223 A4 style AR and it does fine for the closer ranges and it cost less than the 1-8x24. I would suggest that you build your upper yourself to save a good deal of money and get a MUCH BETTER upper for the money. I am pretty sure that the Group Buy deal on this site still has 18" barrels and good bolts for way less than any place. The only special tools you really need to build an upper is a vice and vice block and a torque wrench and you can borrow a torque wrench from auto parts loan a tool places like Advance Auto. I would suggest STRONGLY that you keep away from Bear Creek Arsenal if you go the complete upper way.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Raf View Post
                I have a CZ 527, 6.5 Grendel and love it. But I am also a lover of the AR platform and want to buy an upper in the Grendel caliber. What would be the best barrel length to get?
                I don't really have the ability to shoot long range and would be using the set up for hunting deer in the thick woods of Virginia.
                My woods shots this latest trip (in VA) were 100 and 125. A 16" will cover that no problem. I'm comfortable with a 16 out to 175- maybe 200, mostly due to shooter abilities. 16" will carry well and swing well too.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Raf
                  Unwashed
                  • Jul 2019

Thanks folks for all the inputs!!! I'm going to lean towards either 16" or 18" for what I intend to do. This length should take care of my hunting needs. I a SBR for short distances and other rifles that take care of any long range shots I need to take.

Any suggestions on a company that deals mostly on the Grendel uppers in the custom works arena? I dealt with Ditech for my 6.8 SPC upper and am thoroughly satisfied with their work, but they don't do Grendels.

Comment

• RobertFL
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

novhoggrendel.jpg I have a 16" barrel, it seems to work well in the woods.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Raf View Post
                      Thanks folks for all the inputs!!! I'm going to lean towards either 16" or 18" for what I intend to do. This length should take care of my hunting needs. I a SBR for short distances and other rifles that take care of any long range shots I need to take.

Any suggestions on a company that deals mostly on the Grendel uppers in the custom works arena? I dealt with Ditech for my 6.8 SPC upper and am thoroughly satisfied with their work, but they don't do Grendels.
                      Call Mark at PF. Might take a bit to get it but I promise you nobody does better work then Mark.

Call him and tell him what your wanting and he will walk you through what he has and what he suggest from his products will work the best. Plus he will do just about anything custom you want.

Comment

• Raf
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2019

Sorry but don't know what PF stands for?????

Comment

• G Tidewater
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2019

Try to get at least an Intermediate length gas system with the barrel you choose, rifle length even better.

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

PF= precision firearms, Mark is the owner.
                            They have of course a website, but also are in the vendors section on this forum.
                            Mark has been known to give a discount to new forum members.
                            He does really good work.
                            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by G Tidewater View Post
                              Try to get at least an Intermediate length gas system with the barrel you choose, rifle length even better.
                              Why is that? Carbine and mid length have been working just fine on 16 inch and shorter barrels for years.

Agreed 18 to 22 rifle length works good and 24 inch needs extended rifle length.

Comment

Working...
                              X