• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
    No it doesnt. You do realize your the only one having this issue with all mags right?

No body makes a aluminium mag because their is no advantage to aluminium mags. Not with any cartridge that can shoot from the ar15.
    No I'm not, this is the 2nd time I've seen someone posting about this exact issue in the last 24 hours. Go put 20 rounds in an AR mag of 5.56, and put about that many in a Grendel mag, and tell me it takes the same force to push-feed a round out by hand. It's night and day. Both guns run the same buffer spring. So yes, it matters.
    4x P100

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
      No I'm not, this is the 2nd time I've seen someone posting about this exact issue in the last 24 hours. Go put 20 rounds in an AR mag of 5.56, and put about that many in a Grendel mag, and tell me it takes the same force to push-feed a round out by hand. It's night and day. Both guns run the same buffer spring. So yes, it matters.
      Sorry to tell you but I haven't seen anyone post on this board in the last 24 hours that they are having a feeding issue due to a so called case design problem.

I can do you better I can put 26 rounds of each in steel body ar15 mags. And nope they come out as easly as the next.

No mag material used does not matter. Steel mag bodies are better in all ways compared to aluminium. Case in point does anybody make a aluminium mag except 556 mags? To my knowledge if you ask someone that runs 556 what mags they like best they are going to say polymer first, steel second and aluminum last. If they even would entertain useing a aluminium mag.

Thus same argument has been run for years and years by 6.8 guys and it was proven time and time again to be false.

So I will say again if your having feeding issues. It's because of your mags are your lower is out of spec some how.

I have run every 6.5 grendel mag on the market and the only mags that gave me trouble were elanders. And yea elanders in my book are garbage. Asc/arstoner are servicable, CPD is the best of the metal grendel mags.

Bottom line is your assumption is wrong and just that a assumption on what's causing your issue.

Provide me 5 links that have data that is less then 5 years old showing imperial data to prove otherwise that the grendel case design makes it harder for the bcg to strip a round.

Comment

• Splatt
        Warrior
        • May 2017

New asc mags needed a feed lip bend, and then worked fine today.
        My psa barrel does not like 100 gr ballistic tips with 29.0 or 30.0 grains of imr8208, at 2.250.
        1 1/2" groups. Not even worth posting the pics.
        BUT...........
        Last I posted I said I was loading 125 gr Nosler Partitions over 28.0 grains of 8208.
        How about this !
        100 yards, Leupold 4-12.

Got my deer load !
        Last edited by Splatt; 01-23-2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Splatt View Post
          New asc mags needed a feed lip bend, and then worked fine today.
          My psa barrel does not like 100 gr ballistic tips with 29.0 or 30.0 grains of imr8208, at 2.250.
          1 1/2" groups. Not even worth posting the pics.
          BUT...........
          Last I posted I said I was loading 125 gr Nosler Partitions over 28.0 grains of 8208.
          How about this !
          100 yards, Leupold 4-12.

Got my deer load !
          Looking good sir.

Comment

• lazyengineer
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
            Sorry to tell you but I haven't seen anyone post on this board in the last 24 hours that they are having a feeding issue due to a so called case design problem.

I can do you better I can put 26 rounds of each in steel body ar15 mags. And nope they come out as easly as the next.

No mag material used does not matter. Steel mag bodies are better in all ways compared to aluminium. Case in point does anybody make a aluminium mag except 556 mags? To my knowledge if you ask someone that runs 556 what mags they like best they are going to say polymer first, steel second and aluminum last. If they even would entertain useing a aluminium mag.

Thus same argument has been run for years and years by 6.8 guys and it was proven time and time again to be false.

So I will say again if your having feeding issues. It's because of your mags are your lower is out of spec some how.

I have run every 6.5 grendel mag on the market and the only mags that gave me trouble were elanders. And yea elanders in my book are garbage. Asc/arstoner are servicable, CPD is the best of the metal grendel mags.

Bottom line is your assumption is wrong and just that a assumption on what's causing your issue.

Provide me 5 links that have data that is less then 5 years old showing imperial data to prove otherwise that the grendel case design makes it harder for the bcg to strip a round.
            Well.. this thread (Which I just now read in the last 24 hours) for starters. My own experience. And this thread at AR15.com.

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

which I read 24 hours ago. Note how the tip of the round is clear and not being visibly bound anywhere, yet won't feed.

I guess that doesn't fit your made-up criteria for 5 postings that I'm supposed to research and post; so I guess you can stop here if you like.

I like Grendel - that's why I'm here. I think it's the most optimized round that will fit in 5.56 and think it's genius engineering.

But supporters seem to dismiss the reality that all designs are compromise; and Grendel pushes the boundary's in order to fit its excellent performance in an AR platform. It's within boundaries and works - it's a good design; but it's pushing things enough that it's less forgiving to problems. The extractor just straight up has less metal in it at the main stress point. So, it's not as strong - it can't be. Sure enough, I broke one already - maybe a bad manufacturer; but that's just it, with Grendel there's just less room for error. The case design is fatter than a 5.56 round, so the magazine ribs are more shallow. Steel isn't the standard or accepted norm for 5.56 AR magazines anywhere, it's specialty for 5.56 AR's, and I'm not sure where that comes from.

As to force balance, I sometimes wonder if the shallow ribs of a GI mag are actually quite wide enough, to yield the same double-stack force balance profile 5.56 has, or if there is a lateral/side force component. Or maybe since the round is sitting wider, the top of the round is further out, and more fully engaged with the lips, where in 5.56 the lips encounter the round maybe half was down it's radius..... Hmmm, I wonder... Anyway, maybe you're right about E-Landers - though when I asked everyone said were the best at the time and to stay away from ACS and other brands. The fact that whatever brand there is, a lot of people rail about how crappy it is and XX is so much better, says something on its own. But anyway, my E-Landers run 100%, I don't get jams when i'm shooting, and I've run it 3-gun with in-field fast-reloads just fine. But I will say, they are swelling some - and none will drop free anymore. I'm getting wear on the exterior back of my Elanders now. But they function 100% when in play. Or maybe it's something else, but yea - in my experience 6.5 Grendel casings have way WAY more force on the magazine lips than 5.56. And this is hardly a new item, people complain about how hard it is to load Grendel mags much more than 5.56 mags - this is hardly all coming out of a vacuum from just one random guy here.

My point of replying was to help out to the OP on methods and practices to manage that. Methods and practices I do, that give me 100% reliability.
            Last edited by lazyengineer; 01-23-2020, 08:35 PM.
            4x P100

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Sorry but what I see is a mag issue and not in any way is it a case design issue.

Be willing to bet if the feed lips on those mags were checked that one are both of them are not in the right position and causing the issue.

So again I'm going to ask you to profuse imperial data from the last 5 years showing that the grendel case design causes the bcg to work harder are have issues stripping a round from the mag.

No people complain about how hard it is to load elander grendel mags.

Your elanders are not 100% if your having feeding issues.

So here we are full circle, you have a mag issue and not a case design issue.

Comment

• Splatt
                Warrior
                • May 2017

Spred the lips, and relieve the mag catch hole so the mag rides lower.

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Splatt View Post
                  My elander mags SUCK !
                  1 will chamber from a mag on the first round, the other nose dives the round into my feed ramp.
                  Just ordered 2 asc 10 round mags for 13.99 each.
                  Hope these work better.
                  So, I did have other issues.
                  1st off, accuracy was NOT, to be expected. The American Gunner ammo, would cycle, and lock back the bolt.
                  When purchased, the barrel had an adjustable gas block. Brand, unknown to me.
                  Switched to my reloads.
                  Switched to a single round mag, so all variables were the same.
                  Round goes off, bolt would eject brass, but not lock back.
                  Have never had, nor needed an adjustable gas block.
                  Loosened set screw, screwed adjustment screw out for more gas.
                  Gave up after taking screw out, and just enough in to hold.
                  Junk.
                  Accuracy SUCKED.
                  Pulled out a steel, non adjustable gas block when I got home, switched, and reshot the other day.
                  Wow! What a diff.
                  American gunner, 1st 2 rounds at 100 yards, 1/2" !
                  Went to squeeze trigger, nothing, jammed round ! Junk elander mag.
                  Drop mag, drop round into chamber, trip carrier, insert mag, fire. 11/4" high ! Ok... next round chambered. Fired. 3rd round groups back with first 2, 3/4" !
                  Next round, jammed.
                  I'm done !
                  Gas block definitely made a diff. in accuracy. Why ?
                  Haven't had time to load, working on other cartridges.
                  Will try reloads again, this week tho.
                  When I purchased my 1st Grendel upper,I was told by fellow shooters to stay away from E Lander mags.So, I started with and only ever owned ASC mags. Never had a problem with them they?ve all worked flawlessly.ASC mags work well in my RAP and both of my AR grendel builds.
                  As for as adjustable gas blocks. One came with my PSA 18 inch 308 upper.I had FTEs and accuracy problems. I was told to swap out gas block with a standard one.Now it shoots more accurately and no FTEs. So,adjustable gas blocks is another thing I stay away from.
                  I am still not 100% happy with my PSA barrel. I am waiting on a 24 inch custom heavy barrel from Precision Firearms. I think PSA uses quality parts in their uppers. I like the receivers and hand guards. I always end up swapping out the PSA barrel with a quality barrel.
                  But,I am looking for accuracy and tight groups at 600 yards.A PSA barrel will probably be accurate enough for hunting. Purpose and preference is what it comes down to. Don?t forget trial and error. Things that work for some folks may not work for you and vice versa.
                  But now days ,before I consider purchasing a firearm,accessory,or reloading component that I am not familiar with, I run it past the guys on the forum. Sometimes I get mixed advice. But after a while you know who you can listen to.

Comment

• PNWTargets
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2019

One factor to feeding rounds besides the magazine and ammo is buffer spring/weight for BCG timing. The other is gas flow. I have tested multiple 6.5 and 5.56 set ups to get feeding and last round bolt stop to work correctly. Just some things to keep in mind.
                    Last edited by PNWTargets; 01-25-2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2019

FWIW, I was curious and did test just now. I have to admit, the drag on an E-Lander mag when stripping is quite a bit higher than the drag on a C-Products mag.

My E Landers run, but it's kind of on the edge, so try a different brand if having troubles.

Interesting.
                      4x P100

Comment

• PNWTargets
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2019

The E Lander high capacity mags I have work good. Sucks some people have feed issues.

Comment

• GeekShooter
                          Unwashed
                          • Aug 2019

Short version is that PSA Grendel uppers may be very over gassed from the assembly line and may need a hundred rounds down the pipe before it groups well. Still beats my buddies BCA which came with an extractor reworked from another caliber and way out of spec. Replacement extractor from BCA was even worse. So bad that I recommended he not even load a round in at all. He gave up and ordered an Alexander arms extractor.

I posted here about the PSA 18 inch complete upper having some issues as my first post. This was my first Grendel. Mine was significantly over gassed to the point where it was outrunning the bolt catch which may have had a bit to do with the mag as well. I got it tuned right for 123gr ELD and 100 gr wolf. I also took @a5blaster suggestion (thanks) and grabbed up a RTB low mass bolt carrier but also followed my own thoughts and added an armaspec stealth H weight spring to compliment the low mass carrier. Lastly I hand lapped the upper, re-torqued the barrel nut, and cleaned up the crown. Giant difference in recoil, cycling, and accuracy in a very good way. Consistent sub MOA groups now.

Bought it and the Strike Eagle on the cheap and got about what I wanted after putting in a bit of time and changing some things around on it. Best part was it hooked me on grendel. Now I have built a much higher end full custom from barrel on up. Currently curing the Duracoat job right now. This one is 14.5 inch that I pinned and welded to 16.125 (ATF measurement method). Got it all dialed in before stripping it down to Duracoat and recorded a 100 yard 3 shot group of .449 inches with 123gr Hornady Black ELD Box ammo. 2 more weeks of curing before I can complete final assembly and chronograph.

Comment

• Splatt
                            Warrior
                            • May 2017

Not sure what my problem with gas was, but it's running just fine now since I got rid of that adjustable gas block, and put on a micro, non adjustable. The pos, now resides in the extra's box. Somebody want it ?
                            Give me a reasonable, shipped, offer, and it's yours.
                            I need to go to Shooter Pro Shop, and order a bunch of partitions.
                            Gonna test more, just to make sure that group wasn't a fluke.

Comment

Working...
                            X