• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmax_fal
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2019

PSA upper with JP BCG as first Grendel?

Hi guys,

New guy here. I've been doing quite a bit of lurking and finally joined. I'm interested in 6.5 Grendel to replace 5.56 as my primary rifle caliber.
    From what I've gathered, the two biggest reliability issues are mags and bolts/BCG.
    Here's what I'm thinking: PSA complete rifle, swap out the BCG for a JP full mass, upgrade the trigger to a CMC.

Here's my question:

From the perspective of absolute reliability and durability, with no interest in shooting past 400 yards, would the above be an affordable entry into 6.5G?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Yes to affordable.

No need to change out the bcg it comes with. Mags get the CPD duramags.

Stack wolf fmj for a cheap plinking defense round, target playing buy the American gunner ammo.

Can't speak to that trigger as I have never used one. I like the ssa-e lot if guys here like the Larue mbt. Contact rebby on this fourm he just did a group buy kind of deal on them. He might have an extra one for cheaper then the cmc.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

I have a backup BCG but have used the bolt from PSA from day one with no issues or reliability concerns in my upper. My PSA uses just about any mag I have thrown at it though I personally like the CPD mags as they fit better and drop cleanly. I upgraded my trigger with the CMMG flat-bow drop in at 3.5 lb pull. This trigger, a quality Vortex scope and a Luth MBA butt stock and mine is consistently under MOA. However..........it took a thorough barrel break-in and over 200 rounds shot to get it to this point. That said, for the money, I love PSA verses other inexpensive setups.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I have a PSA 6.5 Grendel 12 inch pistol build and it has been gtg. I suggest you buy a Group Buy Millennium Monster bolt for a spare and spend the rest of the money on optics or ammo.

Industry-standard Mk136 6.5 Grendel bolt for a fantastic price available to Grendel Horde forum members. Bolt body is black nitrided 9310 steel; extractor is phosphated. These fit in standard bolt carriers and take standard firing pins. Grendel Monster Skull logo is laser-etched on bolt body — very cool! COST: $55 each,

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Nothing wrong w/PSA BCG.Very good quality.American made by tool craft,I think.Anyway,the one that came w/my upper is slick as snot and very well made.The weakest link in that upper is the barrel.

Comment

• MarkS
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2018

The simple answer is YES, but with some caveats.

No need to swap out the BCG. The PSA one is fine.

As for mags, I've had zero issues with AR-Stoner mags that I bought from Midwayusa.com (YMMV)

The CMC drop-in trigger is probably the best money I've spent on my AR's with regards to accuracy improvement. I personally like the two stage 2+2 lbs. Mine are all more like 2+1.5 lbs and are smooth with a crisp break and very little over-travel. I also have a couple of the Larue MBTs and they are a cheaper alternative but may need a little polishing to get them as smooth as the CMC.

Comment

Working...
            X