• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyby71
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2019

New Upper Build, Barrel and Gas Questions

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive barrel for a hunting/steel shooting upper. I already have a 22? Krieger barrel on order from PF. I am now looking for a barrel between 16? and 20?, I am thinking hard about 18?. It will go on a CMT billet upper and will have a Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block (.750).

I plan to use this upper about 50/50 suppressed/unsuppressed. I would prefer to use a carbine length buffer tube.

These are my questions:
    -Should I get a barrel that has rifle length or mid length gas for my application?
    -I?m between Criterion, Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, and possibly AR Precision. Any thoughts or preferences for best accuracy for the money?
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

All the barrels you recommended should be good for your intended uses. If you want to save some more money you can look at the green mountain group buys from the group buy section.

Comment

• flyby71
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2019

What’s your take on gas length and barrel length with a carbine buffer tube, adjustable gas block, and shooting 50/50 suppressed?

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

From what I've gathered, 18" rifle gas if suppression is in the future.

Comment

• flyby71
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2019

Are there any opinions on McGowen barrels?

Comment

• flyby71
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2019

So it looks like I’m down to McGowen or Criterion (Craddock Precision Custom barrel). Out of those choices, what’s the best/most accurate bang for the buck?
            Last edited by flyby71; 12-17-2019, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Whatever you do, if you go 18", I would not use a MLGS unless you have a flow-through can from OSS or LaRue.

For 50/50 Suppressed/Unsuppressed, I would steer towards the PF ILGS 18" barrel.

RLGS 18" will have a hard time running some of the lighter loads if you want to shoot 85gr, 90gr TNT, 95gr V-MAX, or 100gr Wolf, especially in the cold.

You might also consider doing a 13.7" with a P&W brake-attach to 16" barrel length.

What suppressor do you have or intend to get?
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FLshooter
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

I like Criterion barrels.Paul Craddock will take at least a month to deliver.Check out a pre fit 18in Criterion Hybrid barrel from Brownell or Optics planet.Will save you $100 and arrive in 5 days.I have had great luck with Criterion pre fit barrels.If I wasn?t wanting a 24 inch Criterion Bull barrel .920 at muzzle,I would go pre fit.

Comment

• flyby71
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2019

I have an AAC SDN-6 that I plan to use on it. It will require the proprietary 51t muzzle device.

I don’t know that I will run the light loads, I had planned on 123 and 129 grain. It would probably not be smart to completely rule out the light loads though.

If I went with the ILGS Criterion from PF, would that be an ideal barrel for my suppressor and a carbine length buffer tube to run suppressed and I suppressed with light any weight load? Ill probably run the JP CSC buffer.

One more question, is the 18” worth the extra two inches over a 16”?

Comment

• flyby71
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2019

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll have a look at what’s available from Brownells. I’m not concerned with wait time thought.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Velocity-wise, I have not seen a practical difference between 16" and 18", and actually have overlap between the 2.

I've owned 2 different 16" Grendels, built many and chrono'd them, and have owned/built/or chrono'd at least a dozen 18" Grendels with various barrels.

Comparisons between them all have been posted here many times over the years.

You'll be in the 2400-2500fps range with most factory 120-123gr loads with 18", and maybe 2350-2480fps with 16".

I think the rifling profile might have more to do with the speed differences I've seen between them, with the AA Enfield rifling allowing more speed compared to 5R or 3 Groove, but the differences are minimal.

The main difference with the 18" for me is how the rifle presents in the hands, or sits on support when shooting. The extra barrel length and forward weight seems to help maintain Natural Point of Aim/sight picture better for me a little better.

For a hunting rig, I would choose the 16" over the 18" if I was in thick terrain, but I would also choose the 12" over the 16" in that same type of intended use and run it suppressed like I do.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• flyby71
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2019

If I decided to go with the 16” barrel, what is the appropriate gas length for suppressed shooting? I see that Craddock can make a 16” Criterion in mid length and intermediate length.

What barrel would you recommend in the 16” flavor, in the $300 range?
                        Last edited by flyby71; 12-18-2019, 01:59 AM.

Comment

• MarkS
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          For a hunting rig, I would choose the 16" over the 18" if I was in thick terrain, but I would also choose the 12" over the 16" in that same type of intended use and run it suppressed like I do.
                          I couldn't agree more with this statement. I love the 12" suppressed Grendel for hunting.

Comment

Working...
                          X