• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delt475
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2019

Great deal on Eotech 512

If anyone it looking for a new optic for an AR or shotgun, Academy Sports is running a really great deal on Eotech 512. There is only 1 available per store. I had to drive 30 miles to get mine. Along with the great price Eotech is also offering a $50 mail in rebate until 12/31 on top of this. Makes the optic $270+ in KY.

Eotech definitely has had some issues recently and offered a full refund a couple of years back due to drifting in extreme weather. I actually returned all four of mine and bought suppressors and filed some SBRs before 41F went into effect. My previous optics never experienced drift and I rebought all of mine at cheaper prices. Any company that offers me a full refund after years of abuse, I will accept it. All of my ARs have Acogs or Eotechs on them. You can beat the hell out of them and they still work

Anyway here is the link if anyone is interested and has an Academy Sports nearby.

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Maybe I’m lucky but I have two 512 E O Tech and gave one to my Daughter for her duty rifle. I also have a 511 and fortunately all mine have been gtg. I use Lithium batteries in my 512’s but I’ll admit the N batteries in the 511 don’t last but about 6 months. I can afford the batteries for my 511 and I use it on a 22 LR AR-15.

I always carry spare batteries and have back up iron sights with my E O Tech sights.

Comment

• delt475
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2019

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      Maybe I?m lucky but I have two 512 E O Tech and gave one to my Daughter for her duty rifle. I also have a 511 and fortunately all mine have been gtg. I use Lithium batteries in my 512?s but I?ll admit the N batteries in the 511 don?t last but about 6 months. I can afford the batteries for my 511 and I use it on a 22 LR AR-15.

I always carry spare batteries and have back up iron sights with my E O Tech sights.
      I think a large majority of people have never witnessed any drift. The company knew about it though and didn?t inform the govt, which is a big no-no. Either way they are still quality optics and I have no problems buying them at discounted prices and putting them on my rifles. The military is still using them too.

I?m going to put this site on my 10in .50 Beowulf SBR. I knew I couldn?t put a cheap china red dot on it. I needed something that would withstand the recoil.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by delt475 View Post
        I think a large majority of people have never witnessed any drift. The company knew about it though and didn?t inform the govt, which is a big no-no. Either way they are still quality optics and I have no problems buying them at discounted prices and putting them on my rifles. The military is still using them too.

I?m going to put this site on my 10in .50 Beowulf SBR. I knew I couldn?t put a cheap china red dot on it. I needed something that would withstand the recoil.
        D475:

My experience with EOTechs was during that era when EOTech knew something was wrong but refused to admit it. They sold the Government a whole bunch of EOTechs and every single one I used or saw used failed to hold a zero. Most failed to zero at all. You would get what you thought was a decent zero and go to confirm and the group was five or ten minutes off. The truth finally came out and I believe EOTech got sued by the Government for providing them with faulty equipment. They knew what they sold the Army was faulty and that was during the hottest time of Iraq and Afghanistan. No go in my book and I will never trust their products again.

LR55

Comment

• delt475
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2019

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          D475:

My experience with EOTechs was during that era when EOTech knew something was wrong but refused to admit it. They sold the Government a whole bunch of EOTechs and every single one I used or saw used failed to hold a zero. Most failed to zero at all. You would get what you thought was a decent zero and go to confirm and the group was five or ten minutes off. The truth finally came out and I believe EOTech got sued by the Government for providing them with faulty equipment. They knew what they sold the Army was faulty and that was during the hottest time of Iraq and Afghanistan. No go in my book and I will never trust their products again.

LR55
          I can?t argue with you. I also agree with your statement on Eotech as a company knowing about drift. They finally admitted that the optic may drift in extreme heat or cold. Part of the settlement with the govt was a the full refund mentioned above. They only refunded optics from certain purchase date. I have never experienced drift in mine new optics. Eotech claims to have rectified the problem. I am not 100% sold but don?t have issues with their products.

I had to drive 30min to pick up my above 512. Got to the store and they tried to sell me the display model. It had shitty generic batteries in it. Called the manager over and explained it wasn?t ?new?. It def has not been mounted. Just handled and left on from the employees. This was the last one in stock, so he knocked the price down to $150. I will take that all day long! $50 mail-in rebate on top

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by delt475 View Post
            I can?t argue with you. I also agree with your statement on Eotech as a company knowing about drift. They finally admitted that the optic may drift in extreme heat or cold. Part of the settlement with the govt was a the full refund mentioned above. They only refunded optics from certain purchase date. I have never experienced drift in mine new optics. Eotech claims to have rectified the problem. I am not 100% sold but don?t have issues with their products.

I had to drive 30min to pick up my above 512. Got to the store and they tried to sell me the display model. It had shitty generic batteries in it. Called the manager over and explained it wasn?t ?new?. It def has not been mounted. Just handled and left on from the employees. This was the last one in stock, so he knocked the price down to $150. I will take that all day long! $50 mail-in rebate on top
            D475:

Roger. If your EOTech holds zero and does what you want of it, you can't beat that price.

The ones I used had the dot and circle but the reticle sparkled. Didn't bother others, but I found it to be distracting. Does the reticle still kind of sparkle?

LR55

Comment

• delt475
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2019

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              D475:

Roger. If your EOTech holds zero and does what you want of it, you can't beat that price.

The ones I used had the dot and circle but the reticle sparkled. Didn't bother others, but I found it to be distracting. Does the reticle still kind of sparkle?

LR55
              The 512 is the is the 65moa circle with a single dot in the middle. There are other versions that have the main circle with either 3 or 2 dots inside. I really prefer to use these red dots on the big bore ARs. I have 450, .458 and .50cal uppers now with various Eotechs on each. I also have the Xbow version on my bow. Eotech makes a 3x magnifier that is easily swapped among the uppers. At longer ranges these optics aren?t my favorite but inside 150yds they are hard to beat for me. Without having to worry about eye relief, target acquisition is very fast.

As for your question about sparkle, I?ve never noticed it. The moa circle and dots are not complete though. Maybe the older versions sparkled. I can easily see how they could. Some people?s eyes definitely have a hard time adjusting to the reticle, for whatever reason.

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Sparkle, yes and likely due to my astigmatism and way it projects on the glass other red dots can look like a solar flare if I turn it up too bright.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

The only time I noticed the sparkle was if the circle dot reticle was turned up to bright or higher intensity. Another advantage of the E O Tech is there is very little parallax if the reticle is not centered in the window. From testing I’ve read the tube type red dot sights like Aimpoint exhibit more parallax if the aiming dot is not viewed in the center of the tube. If the aiming dot is more to the edge of the circular glass there is greater error in point of impact. I liked the wide field of view with the E O Tech heads up type of viewing window.

Comment

• delt475
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2019

You guys are correct. If you put the brightness to max it with sparkle. I always run it on one of the lowest setting so I never notice it. My Aimpoint does the same thing too if I crank it up. I run that on the lowest setting above nv too

Comment

Working...
                    X