• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teppou
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

What do you think of this bore?

What do you all think of this bore? I finally got a little endosnake borescope and poked it down the bore of my Grendel. I've had the Grendel for a couple of years, but haven't had much luck; it doesn't like any factory ammo that I've tried - most Hornady is 1.5 moa or worse, and I haven't found a load it likes yet with 8208xbr, AR-Comp, or Benchmark. I'm thinking it's time to try another barrel. I'm favoring 18" medium/heavy contour, something along the lines of the Lilja 319. Any thoughts/suggestions?

sheepdog grendel 191224_132151.jpg

For comparison, here's the bore from my M&P 15.
    SW AR-15 191224_132337.jpg
  • Herzo
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

If it were mine, I might try lapping it with a lead lap and a series of compounds from about 220 to 600 grit. You have nothing to lose.

Comment

• Wheelhorse
      Warrior
      • May 2014

I might show that to the manufacturer.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Who is the mfr? looks like a lot of cross-striations...
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• teppou
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2016

It was a little outfit called Sheepdog Gunworks, which evidently was only in business for a short time. The guy didn't do the barrels himself, but didn't divulge the manufacturer. He said they were made in Iowa, but said it wasn't Satern.

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

I would fire lap and JB polish if needed. If it wouldn’t shoot then I’d start over
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Wheelhorse
              Warrior
              • May 2014

I wouldn't waste any more bullets and powder on that thing.

Would make a good tomato stake.
              Last edited by Wheelhorse; 12-25-2019, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

For $161 you can get a Green Mountain Group Buy Monster logo barrel with 1:8 twist. Reviews on this batch of group buy barrels has been very positive. If they were junk there would be threads describing the problems. You can search the forum and check for range reports. If I were in your shoes I?d cut my losses or delegate this barrel to Wolf steel case and use it for short range blaster.

With the price of ammo the barrels are expendable component just like brakes on your car. If you could buy 8,000 rounds of Wolf steel case for $5 a box of 20 you?d spend $2000 to wear out a typical Nitride AR-15 6.5 Grendel barrel. Shoot brass factory ammo at $16-$18 a box of 20 and you see how much you spend on ammo to wear out a barrel. I like having accuracy when shooting most of my 6.5 Grendel firearms and I think it makes good economic sense to buy a good barrel.

Gentlemen, Warriors, and Vile Unwashed Masses of the Grendel Horde, our MONSTER 20 barrels HAVE ARRIVED and the time to order is NOW. Our MONSTER 20 is a fantastic hunting barrel — long enough to MAX OUT velocity while keeping the original 20" fighting length made famous in the jungles of Vietnam. Gives you max

Link to google 6.5 Grendel custom search.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-25-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• teppou
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2016

Thanks for the link to the Group buy. I've monitored the board off and on for 3 years, but hadn't checked the group buys as much, hoping to find a load that this barrel likes. I've been through most of the threads on the reloading forum, stickied ones especially. Time to broaden the horizons, I think. I'm somewhat partial to 18" barrels as a (hopefully) happy medium between muzzle velocity and accuracy vs weight and maneuverability, particularly if I put a can on it.
                  Last edited by teppou; 12-25-2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

If your going to use a suppressor on an 18” 6.5 Grendel I suggest you look at barrels with rifle length gas system. Several members have been very satisfied with Criterion 18” RLGS barrel sold by Brownell’s. Lilja, Criterion, Shilen, Douglas, Wilson Combat and Bartlein barrels get very good reviews but they cost more for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X