• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bronz
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2018

6.5 Grendel in High Volume Rifle Class

I?m signed up for a two day Tactical Response Fighting Rifle Class. I want to use my Grendel but brass ammo is .70 a rd. Steel is like .24 a rd. They frown with using steel saying I will have problems.

Has anyone taken their Grendel through a rifle class.
  • OneHitWonder
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

The problem with steel, is leaving a round in a hot chamber then waiting a minute to a few minutes till your shot. The round can glue itself in, failing to eject. It can take a stout rod and hammer to remove it.

You can always try it in the class. Just have a back up upper ready to go.

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

With 5.56, they are correct about steel. With Grendel which is 7.62x39 based - I'm less sure on that. I ran my Grendel in a 3 gun match with steel all day once - it ran fine.
      4x P100

Comment

• GregP42
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

I have run my Grendel in run and gun matches and I only use the steel case. I have fired several hundred rounds in a day of run and gun and never had an issue.

Greg

Comment

• Bronz
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2018

Well I do have a exact 2nd rifle I may bring.

Brass is just so expensive

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

PPU 110gr FMJ is available as well free shipping from Target Sports USA, 67.4cpr.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

So, go buy some steel. Test it. I think you'll find it works better than most think, as BA wanted the Grendel to use steel cased slop from the beginning. He personally went and helped design the product himself.

I'd bet you'd do fine. And it it's a worry, take along the ol trusty 56?
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• munchie3409
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2016

How many threads must you start to talk about the same topic Guess trying to bump up your post count.

Comment

• Bronz
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  PPU 110gr FMJ is available as well free shipping from Target Sports USA, 67.4cpr.
                  Just got a case. I am going to try it out.

Comment

• Bronz
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by munchie3409 View Post
                    How many threads must you start to talk about the same topic Guess trying to bump up your post count.
                    Dude stop being that guy on the forum and laughable. Mr. 49 posts himself.

Two different questions in two different sections.

AR15.com is >>>> that way.
                    Last edited by Bronz; 12-28-2019, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Let's keep it technical folks.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bronz
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                        So, go buy some steel. Test it. I think you'll find it works better than most think, as BA wanted the Grendel to use steel cased slop from the beginning. He personally went and helped design the product himself.

I'd bet you'd do fine. And it it's a worry, take along the ol trusty 56?
                        I have. That’s all that’s been through it. Never a problem.

I have found two split cases and I have had a bolt with a sheared lug. Probably 500 to 600 hundred rds. through it. I just can’t shoot fast to get the barrel and chamber very hot at my range.

I have fired 80+ rds through it consecutively and did get the barrel smoking.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I have seen numerous split steel 6.5 Grendel cases. The split is always lengthwise in the body. I?ve seen split cases from several different rifles and never encountered a problem in the chamber. I wonder if the cases are splitting on impact with the deflector or ejection port opening while still hot. Personally I have seen so many split steel 6.5 Grendel cases I don?t worry about it anymore. Now if I had a split case with brass I definitely take notice.

Ultimately the steel cases are cheap and disposable. I think some lots of steel cases split more than other lots which indicates to me there is a variation in the quality of the individual cases.

Surprising you had a bolt failure. If a bolt fails with only 600 rounds I’d suspect a poorly heat treated bolt. Shooting steel cased Wolf usually won?t produced over gassed ejection even on my 16 inch carbine gassed AR-15.
                          Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-12-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• FALer
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2019

Originally posted by OneHitWonder View Post
                            Just have a back up upper ready to go.
                            Or bring a complete back up rifle ready to go. You're paying a premium for the class, so it's a pisser having to sit out with gun issues.

I always brought my most reliable gun, period and then had a back up just in case.

Bring knee pads, double check your lock tite and trim your fingernails.
                            Last edited by FALer; 01-12-2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FALer View Post
                              Or bring a complete back up rifle ready to go. You're paying a premium for the class, so it's a pisser having to sit out with gun issues.

I always brought my most reliable gun, period and then had a back up just in case.

Bring knee pads, double check your lock tite and trim your fingernails.
                              I’ll second all the above. I had a 5.56 carbine eat a steel case, nearly causing me to sit out an entire course of fire. Fortunately, I was able to quickly pogo the round and soak the BCG with CLP.

A far as knee pads go, my 5.11 tactical trousers have integral pockets in the knee to accommodate neoprene knee pads. I found them more comfortable than the strap on type.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X