PSA Grendels - some reports an curiousness - barrels seem to get more accurate w/ age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

PSA Grendels - some reports an curiousness - barrels seem to get more accurate w/ age

I have two 6.5 Grendels from PSA. One is a carbine gas based one, and one is a 20" rifle configuration. Both have their SS barrels and BCG's (which I suspect are Toolcraft OEM'd BCG's but don't have any basis for that other than physical appearance, and the fact that PSA does not stock the individual parts of it, but rather only complete BCG's). I run E-Lander mags.

Reliability of both has been excellent. These guns don't jam. But there are nuances.

-I have had one extracter break already while shooting steel (to which PSA warranty replaced the entire BCG).
    -Switching from steel to brass back and forth doesn't seem to affect reliability at all
    -The Elander magazines are reliable, but for whatever reason, a full Elander can have oddities, and sometimes don't like to fully strip and close upon initial loading. I guess the force up against the magazine lips on that first round is a bit high. Once loaded and firing though, they never jam on my PSA's. The bigger oddity with ELanders is that as they have aged, they fit tighter and tighter in the mag-well now. It takes a bit of force to insert one into the well-itself now (they seat fine); and drop-free is a long-gone thing of the past. They do this is all my AR mag-wells, regardless of brand. But, they work so I don't worry about it.
    -Accuracy of the guns isn't that great. They tend to be 1.5 MOA on a great day, and 2+ MOA nominally.
    -That said, they seem to like Wolf Ammo quite a bit, and shoot it in that 1.5-2 MOA range as well.
    -They seem to tighten up as they age. The carbine one has about 1500 rounds through it, and it's shooting 1.5 MOA more accross the board - and actually just shot Wolf ammo at about 1.2 MOA in multi stings. The Wolf steel outshot all the brass ammo in fact, everything from 90's, to 129's, to 120's - the 100 gr Wolf Steel outshot. That doesn't really make any sense to me.
    -My 20" only has 1000 rounds through it, and just yesterday gave me a nominal 2 MOA perfromance. I just ordered one of BFT's group buy 20" BBLs.
    -PSA is enamoured with that goofy A2 barrel profile. Our forum barrel profile to my eye is a WAY better investement of metal in the right places. That said, the PSA A2 BBL, with a 6.5 mm dia hole through it, IS a remarkably light barrel - particularly their 20". It was a pleasant hunting experience. That said, 2 MOA means a 4" group at 200 yards. If going for a high neck shot, that can be a clean miss.
    -I suspect running Wolf Steel in a PSA BBL actually helps, as I thikn this erodes and smooth the barrel out with time; which is why I think accuracy is actually improving a little with age. While I have a Monster BBL on order now, I may go ahead and just pound a few hundred rounds of Wolf Steel at gongs and have fun, just to see how that goes.

Would I buy PSA again? Actually that's a strong yes - for the money it's a Hell of a lot of gun, that's well laid out. And they work. They are quite reliable as well, and they do stand behind it. If I were to call and say the accuracy is not what I want, they'd replace it for me. And the accuracy is decent; with some people getting better draw than others. But I suspect getting a PSA and then a Monster Team barrel here, is likely the best of both worlds.

Oh, and on my 20", I picked up one of the Primary Arms GLx 2-10 scopes, for about $400. That's was a total steel, and thanks to whoever posted that deal here in the forums. That's a $1000 quality scope, and it's about the only FFP scope I've ever seen that actually WORKS at the lowest power (most FFP reticle just disappear at the minimum power, making the posted magnification range misleading, and just don't work at their lowest power settings - this one actually does work - love it!)

Just some input from one shooter.
    Last edited by lazyengineer; 12-31-2019, 04:37 PM.
    4x P100
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

To update on the accuracy - I personally don't think Grendel is an inherently forgiving round with accuracy, and from what I can tell, the PSA barrel performance is basically on par if not better than most baseline level barrels. As others have shown, with a great barrel and some tuning, Grendel apparently can be a solid 1 MOA or better round - but it takes some effort and investment. At least, that's my opinion.
    4x P100

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

The problem with budget barrels as they require a lot of break-in.Time and ammo cost money..quality barrels shoot well out the box. But if what I read is correct ,that you are getting 1.2 moa with wolf steel cased ammo,you should be able to tighten your groups w/quality brass cased ammo.
      What brass cases ammo,if any ,have you already tried?

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Funny how no matter what barrel I have with the actual SAAMI chamber and compound throat, mine shoot anywhere from .75 MOA to bugholes as the norm for 5rd groups, and ragged holes for 10rd groups at 100yds.

It's almost as if Bill Alexander figured something out by spending over $11,000 on different reamer designs over the course of all his testing to find a chamber that would shoot the full range of 6.5mm projectiles accurately, instead of shooting some well and others poorly.

At PSA prices and high volume profit models, I would be satisfied with the results you're getting.

My approach to building rifles that I have certain accuracy expectations for is to get the most barrel I can, and do an accuracy checklist build covering many areas that will help wring out the maximum mechanical accuracy potential of the rifle.

There is confidence gained from repeated POA = POI.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

22" Lilja fluted

17.6" Lilja Group Buy Wasp Contour

12" Faxon Group Buy
          Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-31-2019, 07:43 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Great shooting LRRPF52!

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
              The problem with budget barrels as they require a lot of break-in.Time and ammo cost money..quality barrels shoot well out the box. But if what I read is correct ,that you are getting 1.2 moa with wolf steel cased ammo,you should be able to tighten your groups w/quality brass cased ammo.
              What brass cases ammo,if any ,have you already tried?
              You would think! Yesterday, the Wolf Steel was outshooting all the brass. That's not typical, and I don't know what to do with that. I'm just going to write that up as a coincidental oddity of the day, but watch to see if it keeps recurring all the same.

I'm excited to have a nice 20" Group Buy barrel on they way, as that should have the chamber and quality that LRRP is indicating. His groups are amazing.

So far I've done factory Fed 120, 130 and Hornady 123 ELD-M. None of them shoot that well in my barrels. With handloads, I get better results generally with the TNT 90s, the Hornady 100's do pretty good, and the Hornady 120s and 129's can do decent as well. The Nosler 123's are almost shotgun quality results for me so far. Powders include 8208, TAC, CFE223, and ARComp so far.

I don't begrudge time spent on load development and general break-in shooting, as I enjoy shooting and load development. But I'm ready for LRRP's level of accuracy now - and don't think I can get it with just the PSA stuff as-is.
              Last edited by lazyengineer; 12-31-2019, 11:45 PM.
              4x P100

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Those aren't even the best groups I've seen from 6.5 Grendel.

Some of the Bartlein barrels from PF that I've tested were so accurate, I lost count of how many rounds were going through the same bughole, shooting PF 123gr SMKs.

A lot of the groups above were rapid-fired as well. I actually tend to shoot tighter when rapid-firing, as I'm able to duplicate the fundamentals better each shot since there is less time to spiral out of the formula.

When I say rapid, I mean, "BANG one thousand BANG one thousand BANG one thousand BANG one thousand BANG".

That takes a lot of experience to get to that point though. I drive Grendels like I do AR10s, not how I shoot AR15s in .223 Rem. A .223 Rem AR15 is noticeably easier for me to group with since there is less projectile mass displacing the position of the rifle, even though it has higher chamber pressure.

Here's an example of best and worst with my LaRue 18" Stealth 2.0 complete rifle using a 1.5-6x36 Burris scope with a non precision reticle:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                X