• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hollis
    Warrior
    • Mar 2019

BCA vs Group Barrel - My Adventures with 6.5 Grendel

I wanted to share this info with all of you kind and wise forum dwellers and get some feedback on helping me reach my goals with the 6.5 Grendel.

A quick background: I've really been learning a lot about various guns over the last year and a half and I am thoroughly enjoying the exciting sport of firearms. The 6.5 Grendel got my attention as something I could slap on my AR lower and shoot out to long distances (relative to my 7.62x39 upper that came with my first AR purchase). Being a cheapskate (without much disposable income), I took the gamble to get a Bear Creek Arsenal (BCA) 6.5 Grendel upper (backed up by the 1 MOA guarantee) when it was on sale. After breaking it in and taking all the care I could, it shot about a 12" group at 100 yards (only slightly exaggerating). BCA customer support was great and I ended up with another upper with a nice looking stainless steel barrel. The first time I went out with it, I had some pretty good luck plinking metal targets going out to almost 500 yards. But my excitement for the 6.5 Grendel started to wane. I became frustrated with how difficult it was to get ammo I could afford that the relatively picky 6.5 Grendel barrels "like" and I really wasn't shooting any tighter groups than I could shoot with my 7.62x39 using Tula ammo. I went ahead and broke down and got one of the group barrels recommended here in this forum. As it turned out, I ended up with two BCA uppers so I kept the SS Grendel from BCA on one and put the group barrel on the other. I "accurized" both barrels by lapping and gluing in the barrels to upper. But I still wasn't seeing great results. Having really tight groups at 100 yards is nice, but my goal was to use my Grendel to master the skills involved in long range shooting (well, at least out to 1000 yards). Well I wasn't getting any where near nice groups on paper and around 300 yards I would consistently start missing my 12" metal target on the couple of occasions I was able to shoot it. I'm still not sure all that was going on to cause this, but that is the background.

I recently was able to get a Radical Firearms BCG for 6.5 Grendel. (My 7.62x39 upper and lower are from Radical Firearms and I have been very pleased with this setup.) I also bought a bulk buy of the American Gunner ammo from Hornady on a Black Friday deal and some affordable Nosler ammo. (Got those tips from this forum - Thanks!) I also switched to the same scope and mount that I use for my 7.62x39 (trying to reduce variables, even though this scope is low magnification suited better for close range and the scope rings are of lower quality). I went out to shoot this weekend and I was ecstatic with the results. Here are some pics. (All are 3 shot groups with one really tight group with 2 bullets going through the same hole.)

I was only able to get out to 200 yards for the day since I also was shooting 6.5 Creedmoor and 243 (they both shoot great, but will do some work to improve the 6.5 Creedmoor) and gathering data for multiple things. I had the new RF BCG on the BCA SS barrel and the group barrel was using the original BCG from BCA. I got some acceptable sub MOA groups for the group barrel at 100 yards but got some fantastic groups both at 100 and 200 yards for the BCA SS barrel (and I'm sure I can improve on the 200 yds with better scope). I'm no longer feeling like my hopes (and time/money spent!) for 6.5 Grendel were in vain. I know I have a good combination that can shoot consistently - at least to 200 yards.

So, it appears that the BCA barrel, with the right conditions, has the potential to be very accurate (although this is very small sample size). I still have a lot more things to test and swap to get that straight shooting AR semi-auto that can get me out to 1000 yards. I still don't have enough data to come to definite conclusions, but it appears that switching out the BCG helped a lot (although it could have been the scope - don't think so since I am using that scope now on my 6.5 Creedmoor and it shoots great; the mount - a nice Leupold integrated AR mount; a loose screw in the scope mount - although I would regularly check for any scope wiggle; or the ammo I was using - Hornady ELD Match).

My plan is to get both 6.5 Grendel uppers to shoot great and sell one of them and enjoy the heck out of the other to go out to longer distances.
    Last edited by Hollis; 01-08-2020, 03:28 AM.
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Thanks for the post. I would say both barrels are apparently sub MOA and shooting very well. I'd be happy with either.

What are the barrel lengths?
    4x P100

Comment

• Hollis
      Warrior
      • Mar 2019

Here's the specs on the BCA upper: BCA AR-15 Complete Upper Assembly, 20" 4150 Black Nitride Straight Fluted Barrel, 6.5 Grendel, Rifle length gas system, 1:8 Twist w/ 15" M-LOK (later traded out for a non-fluted stainless steel 20" barrel)

The Group Barrel is 20" also.
      Last edited by Hollis; 01-08-2020, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• Hollis
        Warrior
        • Mar 2019

I am very pleased with this. This is what I was hoping for, I just hope that it wasn't a fluke with the stars lined up just right that day and that I can keep consistency and accuracy as I move further out for long distance shooting. Not sure when I'm going to get another chance for a while though.
        Last edited by Hollis; 01-08-2020, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• Hollis
          Warrior
          • Mar 2019

On a side note to lazyengineer - is that an HP41CV in your profile pic? I'm a pretty nerdy engineer myself. Love all the math involved with firearms and shooting! And the HP41CV is the best calculator ever!

Comment

• lazyengineer
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

Thanks for the updates. No reason to think the group MOA will fall apart with distance, so long as well above transonic. As far as I can tell, the only material things you changed are the BCG, and the optics; with the optics performing well on the Creedmoor. I wouldn't think a BCG would cause such a notable change. It might be the ammo though? It seems Grendel can be ammo-particular; in my experience at least.

Calculator is an HP28. This thing got my undergraduate degree.

On my phone I now run RealCalc now and set it to RPN.
            4x P100

Comment

• Hollis
              Warrior
              • Mar 2019

Ahh... the wonderful days of Reverse Polish Notation. But I'll save calculator comments for another thread!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Add up how much time it took you, ammo, gas, range fees if applicable, TGTs, and other ancillary costs associated with shooting and see if the BCA was worth it compared even to a higher end barrel.

For me, going cheap has never worked out, so I gave up on that approach long ago.

Only wealthy men can afford cheap things.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Hollis
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2019

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Add up how much time it took you, ammo, gas, range fees if applicable, TGTs, and other ancillary costs associated with shooting and see if the BCA was worth it compared even to a higher end barrel.

For me, going cheap has never worked out, so I gave up on that approach long ago.

Only wealthy men can afford cheap things.
                  Trust me, I have done those calculations! And I have come to the same conclusion with some exceptions. At a dollar a pop for ammo to "break-in" the barrel, try to get zero (it's a moving target when your gun ain't shootin straight), missing metal targets at 300 yards and having to figure out needed adjustments to get back on to metal..., it adds up quickly and the extra $100 for a nicer barrel quickly becomes the money saver.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Hollis View Post
                    Trust me, I have done those calculations! And I have come to the same conclusion with some exceptions. At a dollar a pop for ammo to "break-in" the barrel, try to get zero (it's a moving target when your gun ain't shootin straight), missing metal targets at 300 yards and having to figure out needed adjustments to get back on to metal..., it adds up quickly and the extra $100 for a nicer barrel quickly becomes the money saver.
                    Why did you pay a dollar a round for ammo? You can find hornady eld-m and hornady American gunner for well under a dollar a round. For like years now.

Ammoseek.com is your freind.

Comment

• FLshooter
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

After I put 200 rounds through my 24 inch 6.5 Grendel BCA SS fluted barrel, It was getting decent groups. And I was happy with it for a while.But for me it just wasn’t consistent and although it could do three-quarter inch groups at 100 yards they would open up at longer distances and when the barrel heated up.Frustrating.
                      Maybe for hunting a BCA barrel would be fine ,but if you’re shooting for accuracy and consistency you may end up getting frustrated like I did. And I am in no way bashing BCA they have their place. And for $200 you get a lot ,you couldn’t even buy an upper receiver and a handrail for that.
                      I ended up ordering a 24 inch Bartlein heavy barrel and a .936 GB. I used the BCA upper receiver and a hand guard. As far as I can see BCA parts are fine ,it was just the barrel that gave me fits.

Comment

• BCHunter
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2018

My question would be did you use the same lower with both uppers?,....Also what trigger are you using,...the best advice ive ever received is"you don't know how much difference a good trigger makes until you shoot one"

Glad things are settling in for you,...looking forward to more range reports.

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Sounds like everything's normal and you've got what you paid for.

I will add that if you want to shoot a small-calibre AR15 at 1,000yds. You will need the bullets to be supersonic; not transonic and definitely not subsonic. Plus your scope will need decent magnification, clarity and repeatability. You will also get no better results than you do at 100yds.

What is your barrel length?
                          What scope are you using?

Comment

• Hollis
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                            Why did you pay a dollar a round for ammo? You can find hornady eld-m and hornady American gunner for well under a dollar a round. For like years now.

Ammoseek.com is your freind.
                            I'm getting very good deals now but when I first started off (that's when I was going through the issues described above), it was coming close to a buck a shot. I now use the Hornady American Gunner that comes in the "can" of 200 for 75 cents a shot (after tax and s/h). I have some Wolf ammo for shots where I'm not going for precision or long distances which reduces the price per shot also.

You can find a lot of good deals online from Ammoseek but now more sites are charging taxes added on to significant shipping costs making it not such a good deal after all. I find myself waiting for Academy to offer coupons (either $10 or $20 off purchase of $50 or more) and get ammo there cheaper than most places on Ammoseek.

Let me know of any great deals I might be missing. I often check out the Deals thread in this forum (and post there when I find good buys).
                            Last edited by Hollis; 01-09-2020, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• Hollis
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                              Sounds like everything's normal and you've got what you paid for.

What is your barrel length?
                              What scope are you using?
                              20" barrels
                              Using Nikon P-300 BLK 2-7x scope (discontinued scope with BDC for 300 Blackout that I got at a great price for my 7.62x39)

Comment

Working...
                              X