• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moosenuggits58
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2019

BHW barrels

Greetings, Members of the Horde (and other Gentlemen)
    First time posting, apologies for any gaffes.
    Been lurking around for a while, attempting to absorb as much info as an old brain can. Currently have a 20" LB rifle and am satisfied with the results. That is,
    when I have time to get behind the scope. I bought if way back in the mid 90's, right after first learning about the Grendel.
    Purpose of this thread, though, with the "someday" intent of a home build, is I'm very curious about the lack of mention on the BHW brand. Several searches have
    only resulted in mentions of wanting to sell, most without being mounted.
    Basically, is there something I've missed about Black Hole? Any and all opinions / experiences / information are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

You bought a Grendel or Les Baer in the 90’s? I thought the Grendel came about 2003.

Black Hole was popular when I first started using Grendel. Now their barrels are sold under Columbia River branding.

They had a good reputation as shooters. My problem with them is their use of non saami chamber and using bolts designed for 762x39. They started the type 1 and type 2 bolt bs. Therefore I avoid them.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

I got a couple of their barrels, chambered in 264LBC. Both use the .136” bolts (back when they offered them as an option). I’m very pleased with one, and ecstatic over the other.

Today, you couldn’t get either from Columbia, as they don’t offer the .136” head spacing any longer. I’ve heard several people say they have no issues with the .125” bolts, but I personally won’t go there.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

+1 on NugginFutz's experience. I have a 22" BHW barrel with around 1,200 rounds down range. I've been nothing but happy with it. Sub minute all day long.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• moosenuggits58
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2019

Thanks for the response. You are, of course, correct, it was mid 2000's. Sort of ancient history by now. Fingers and brain don't always coordinate. From the on-going reading I've
          been doing, the type 1 and type 2 subject is annoying, at best. Do you have any more insight on the reasoning for their change to the LBC chamber? Seemed odd to me, but was
          interested in the other characteristics of their barrels. The whole idea, for my "someday" build, would be for a dedicated left-hander that could reach out a bit if I wanted to with some above average accuracy.

Comment

• moosenuggits58
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2019

Thanks for the response. I haven't been back to their website for a while, now. The .136 bolts aren't offered any longer? Are your "ecstatic" loads factory or hand?

Comment

• moosenuggits58
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2019

Thanks for the response, rabiddawg. You're correct, it was the mid 2000's, right after they became available. Ancient history, now. Fingers and brain don't always communicate.
              I've not been back to their website for awhile. The .136 bolts aren't available any longer?

Comment

• moosenuggits58
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2019

BHW barrels

Apologies for the redundant replies. Stoopid compootor.

Comment

• moosenuggits58
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2019

Thanks for the response, biodsl. Are your happy loads factory, or hand?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by moosenuggits58 View Post
                    Thanks for the response. I haven't been back to their website for a while, now. The .136 bolts aren't offered any longer? Are your "ecstatic" loads factory or hand?
                    They bounced around a bit, changing their primary sales venue from the original Black Hole website, to a neighboring forum's vendor section, ending up on Columbia's page. Apparently, Columbia and BHW have long been affiliated.

Chambers head spaced for .136" bolts ("Type II") are no longer offered, as far as I know. I remember them having a debate on whether to discontinue the .125" or the .136" head spaced variants (to simplify production). The .125" won out because the people in the decision making echo chamber believed it provided more case wall support and extractors would ostensibly be more readily available.

My "ecstatic" barrel shoots my hand loads to a scary degree of precision and accuracy, and Hornady's factory loads with well under 1 moa.

As far as their reasoning for the 264 LBC chambering, I could only speculate, but I've had several discussions with one of their ProStaffers, @GLShooter. If anyone here might know, he would, but I haven't seen him on the board in quite some while. I suspect his interests are in some other new hotness.

I recall that a while back, BHW produced a run of barrels cut with the SAAMI reamer (compound throat) in order to see if enough interest would justify continuing the offering. While they apparently sold all the barrels, another run was never scheduled and they continue to offer only the 264LBC.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Most of that has been reloads; a 123 Amax over 31.2 of CFE. The factory Amax load shoots similar. Even Wolf steel shot just over 2 MOA.
                      Last edited by biodsl; 01-17-2020, 05:46 PM.
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                      X