• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

6.5 Grendel articles from Gun Digest

Gun Digest has recently published several Grendel articles that have been showing up in my inbox. Here's the most recent:

• CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Good read DB,
    Thanks

Comment

• CS Vrdad
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2019

Good information but embarrassingly poor editing.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

It was basically accurate, had a lot of typos, sentence fragments passed off as sentences, but generally a good article in content with one exception on the ammunition.

Presently, it seems 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition options are heading in opposite directions. While not a scientific survey of the market, it appears there are few factory choices in Grendel and more in Creedmoor.
        I guess 92 factory loads is "few" factory choices. Even if we rule out the smaller shops, we have plenty of options from Alexander Arms, Barnaul, Barnes, Federal, Hornady, HSM, Nosler, PPU, Remington, and Wolf. With several big manufacturers coming online with 6.5 Grendel in the past 2 years, I would say that's going in the same trend line as 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'll bet that way more 6.5 Grendel ammo is made and sold for several simple reasons:

* AR15 compatibility and semi-automatic
        * Steel case availability
        * More affordable

It will do nothing other than continue to spread. Neither of them are going anywhere but up.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Not fair to open the article with a photo of a pair of beautiful, sexy 6.5 Creedmoor rounds with the new Hornady A-Tip bullet.

I read in a gun magazine recently that HSM has "low-recoil" 65CM rounds, reducing them to — wait for it — 6.5 Grendel velocities. (HSM also has Grendel ammo.)
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Chev2500
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2018

I like to see "press" on the 6.5 Grendel, but I don't know why the comparison to the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's like comparing a 308 to a 300 Win Mag. The 6.5 Grendel stands on it's own just fine! I have a couple of each and quite a few others from 20 Vartarg to 416 Rigby and wherever i go at minimum i always have a 6.5 Grendel and a 1911 .45 with me. Those A-tips are cool in the Creed- I have some loaded but haven't shot any yet.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I have a lot of experience with .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 Grendel.

The Grendel cuts off about 200yds from the bigger boys when comparing the same barrel lengths, which was a lot less than I thought.

So if my 22" .260 Rem is shooting 130gr VLD supersonic well past 1400yds, my 22" Grendel is still supersonic to 1200yds, and doing it with at least 10,000psi less chamber pressure, with 10gr less powder, from an AR15 frame vs the AR10 frame.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Chev2500 View Post
                I like to see "press" on the 6.5 Grendel, but I don't know why the comparison to the 6.5 Creedmoor.
                I wondered the same thing. I wanted to say, "And your point is ... what?" Article could have been improved with a side by side photo.

The point is never: "This is what the Grendel can't do compared to the Creedmoor." The point is always: "This is how much the Grendel CAN do, compared to the Creedmoor."
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• okiecat
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2017

Im 6.5 poor. Built a 6.5X300sav in 1979. Then a 6.5X284 in 1981. Now have a 6.5 Saum. 3-6.5 Grendels. They are my favorite, not the wind buckers needed in western Ok. But so fun to shoot. I carry a loaded round in my pocket all the time to show friends. This is the little giant. Nobody eversaid gun writers were journalist, kind of like those at New York Times.

Comment

• Growler
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by okiecat View Post
                    Im 6.5 poor. Built a 6.5X300sav in 1979. Then a 6.5X284 in 1981. Now have a 6.5 Saum. 3-6.5 Grendels. They are my favorite, not the wind buckers needed in western Ok. But so fun to shoot. I carry a loaded round in my pocket all the time to show friends. This is the little giant. Nobody eversaid gun writers were journalist, kind of like those at New York Times.
                    Totally get what you are saying.
                    However, comparing gun writers (advertisers) to the political hacks at the NY slimes is a bit harsh.

Comment

Working...
                    X