• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug01
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2020

Wolf ammo and trigger upgrades

Hello- I?m new to this caliber and at the moment just have a Mil-spec trigger in. I added some JP trigger springs. It fired Hornady fine but was 50/50 or a little better with wolf harder primers. The trigger seemed to have creep and just didn?t feel right. It?s back to all Mil-spec now. Just wanting to see what was out there that gives lighter (crisper) trigger pull and will still work with Wolf. Thanks
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Ssa-e works 100% with any factory ammo from my 2 ar grendels.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

Same with the LaRue MBT-ees.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

You need the JP 3.5T springs. The T is the heavier hammer spring for reliable ignition on harder primers. Grind down top rear of trigger that engages safety. Grind about .040-.050” off. Install set screw through pistol grip bolt hole to take up creep. Takes about an hour total and $12. If you have experience stoning trigger surfaces you can also stone with a white India stone and really make it nice. I do this on my utility carbines/pistols. Target guns get Jard fully adjustable.
        Last edited by ricsmall; 02-13-2020, 06:06 PM.
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
          You need the JP 3.5T springs. Grind down top rear of trigger that engages safety. Grind about .040-.050” off. Install set screw through pistol grip bolt hole to take up creep. Takes about an hour total and $12. If you have experience stoning trigger surfaces you can also stone with a white India stone and really make it nice. I do this on my utility carbines/pistols. Target guns get Jard fully adjustable.
          Ricsmall speaks truth.

I have done up a few Anderson NB triggers with the low power springs and trigger adjustment screw sold at joeboboutfitters and it does make for a perrty nice single stage.

If done right it will come out in the 2 1/2 pound range. Used one for a bit and it ran the wolf ammo just fine.

If you can swing the money a true 2 stage like the Larue are the ssa-e is going to be the best of both worlds. Eats cheap steel cased and nice and smooth light breaking for more serious target/hunting work.

Comment

• Hollis
            Warrior
            • Mar 2019

I have the Larue 2 stage and it shoots all my 6.5 Grendel ammo, including Wolf, as well as other calibers, including 7.62x39 Tulammo, just fine. I did add an enhanced firing pin to one of my lowers though once I ran into some issues with the 7.62x39 and have not had a soft strike failure since. I got a great deal at BlackRifleArms.com. Not sure if it is still on sale or not, but that slightly longer firing pin can make a difference without having to have strong trigger springs.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

With the AR-15 in 7.62x39 the enhanced firing pin might be a benefit but I would be hesitant to use one in a 6.5 Grendel without checking the firing pin protrusion. There have been issues with 6.5 Grendel bolts overall length and firing pin lengths not playing well together. You get out of the spec for firing pin protrusion you can get light strikes with a short firing pin and slam fires and pierced primers with a FP which protrudes to deep.

I suggest you measure the overall length of your bolt and firing pin to ensure they are in spec. Brownell?s sell a FP protrusion gauge and minimum is .028 max .036.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-13-2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

The light hammer spring with a standard hammer weight (not bobbed), combined with cold weather and harder military primers is a recipe for light strikes/FTFire.

You want a full power hammer spring for reliable ignition of primers.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• brian y
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Doug01 View Post
                  Hello- I?m new to this caliber and at the moment just have a Mil-spec trigger in. I added some JP trigger springs. It fired Hornady fine but was 50/50 or a little better with wolf harder primers. The trigger seemed to have creep and just didn?t feel right. It?s back to all Mil-spec now. Just wanting to see what was out there that gives lighter (crisper) trigger pull and will still work with Wolf. Thanks
                  Larue MBT as others have pointed out, It is a 2 stage but it comes with 2 springs, I would suggest the lighter one
                  NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• Bronz
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2018

Op

Be careful playing around with modifying your triggers. A lot of time reliability goes down and liability goes up.

I use a standard GI trigger on mine and never had a lite primer strike.

Comment

Working...
                    X