First 6.5 Grendel PSA or Sanders Armory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pkw6five
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2020

First 6.5 Grendel PSA or Sanders Armory?

I would like to get a 6.5 Grendel. My only experience with 6.5 Grendel is the
    PPT article "5 Best 6.5 Grendel Uppers". I am thinking about the PSA or the
    Sanders Armory.
    For $400 to 500 who would you buy?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I see and hear good things about the PSA.

So out of the two I would suggest them.

If it were me I would buy a barrel in the 350 to 450 range and build it myself.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

To answer your question, i know nothing about Sanders armory but have always had good experiences with palmetto state armory so i would be confident buying from them. Just understand that you get what you pay for. A $400 upper will function but don't complain if it's not sub moa.

Comment

• Bubbacop
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2019

I was in the same boat never owned a Grendel. I read an article on line and found Atheris rifle company. I bought the arc15 T2 for $550 and couldn’t be happier. Cheap factory ammo gets under one inch @100 yards my handloads are getting .5 to .7 consistently.
        The only down side was the three week wait.

Comment

• Sackett
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2020

I built my first Grendel a few months ago and used a PSA assembled upper. Just shot it last weekend for the first time and it shot well. Still getting dialed but I feel I got what I paid for and more. Take that for what it's worth.

Comment

• pkw6five
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2020

Several friends own PSA 5.56 and one has a .308. For the $ I think they got a good firearm.
            If the Grendel does not shoot as good as I would like I can always stick a new barrel on it.

Comment

• Jimla
              Warrior
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by pkw6five View Post
              I would like to get a 6.5 Grendel. My only experience with 6.5 Grendel is the
              PPT article "5 Best 6.5 Grendel Uppers". I am thinking about the PSA or the
              Sanders Armory.
              For $400 to 500 who would you buy?
              I studied the same article when I gave up getting a cheap low quality upper to work, everyone on this website know the brand.

I was convinced after careful study individual's reports on this website to go with PSA model, but when I went to buy, it was sold out for a long time.

I found another hunting upper with a quality lightweight Faxon Match 20" barrel(over 1/2 lb lighter than the PSA), that shoots 1/3 MOA.

Range report:

Upper: AT3Tactical AT3™ FF-ML 20 Inch 6.5 Grendel Complete Upper https://www.at3tactical.com/products/at3-ff-ml-20-inch-6-5-grendel-complete-upper-6-5-grendel-type-ii-20-inch-faxon-firearms-barrel-15-inch-m-lok-free-float-handguard It has: a) Faxon Firearms Match Series – 20 inch Heavy Fluted Barrel – 6.5 Grendel – 5R –

The PSA model recommended to me by another form member, tried to buy. $349.99 (good value for typical 1 MOA gun)

Quality lightweight Faxon Match 20" barrel in my range results $575.99 (worth it for a 1/3 MOA gun)

Comment

• pkw6five
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2020

Thanks. But at over 700 with the bcg and ch I would just buy a 6.5 creed bolt gun.
                I'm trying to stay under 500 for the upper and just put it on my lower.
                If I can get 3-4 inch groups at 400 great.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

Anything can happen. You might get lucky but if that's what you really want then be prepared to replace the barrel.

Comment

• meatsweats
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2018

PSA has a lifetime warranty. In your price range that?s probably your number 1 option. They sell a ton of product so you have to check the site daily. Another option is to build a upper/lower. You can always upgrade parts as you see fit.
                    MS

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

My first Grendel was built with an AA barrel/bolt combo I ordered from Midway.

My 2nd was built with one of the Lilja group buy barrels and a bolt from Precision Firearms.

I'm so glad I avoided the imitation parts that were on the market at that time, including those from Model 1 Sales, not that I ever entertained that idea.

Back then, you had to be on an email notification list with Midway if you wanted a chance to get any AA Grendel parts.

I'm not sure why someone looking for an economy deal wouldn't order from AA, PF, or LaRue right now, especially since AA offers 5/8x24 Thread muzzles now:

AA DIY Parts and Components

If you are willing to wait a bit for an exceptionally accurate barrel, get a Precision Firearms Criterion barrel.

I just noticed PF has Samurai barrels as well, for $250 a pop.

Known, proven companies that use the correct reamer and have more institutional knowledge of what it takes to make this work right.

If you're really strapped for cash, either the AA or PF Samurai barrel option makes a lot of sense.

If you can afford a bit more, get a Criterion barrel from PF and a Samurai matched receiver set.

If you want billet, get the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit for $792 which gives you everything except a stripped lower, and that includes the MBT-2S trigger, RAT stock, APEG grip, precision machined 7075 T6 RET, BCG, special gas system with sealed ferrule in the gas block, the Tranquilo brake, billet upper with matched handguard, and Charge Handle.

LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lazyengineer
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2019

PSA is a lot of gun for the money. With a lot of features. Mine has been very reliable. Accuracy has been mixed - it's more of a 2 MOA gun. Sometimes better, sometimes worse - can be quite load particular on that. Occasionally someone will claim better accuracy with their's, but that's what my 2 PSA BBL's do for me. PSA does stand behind their stuff, no questions asked. If you get one and aren't happy with the accuracy, they'll replace it or give you your money back. Considering my 20" upper (w/ BCG) was only $299 delivered; I'm not really going to bother.

I will also say, expecting repeatable 3-4" groups at 400 yards is expecting a lot. Expect that even with premium barrel and ammo, at 400 yards, is asking a lot. With basic introductory equipment? well - I can say that hasn't worked out for me!
                        4x P100

Comment

• RobertFL
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

I have a Sanders 6.5 grendel upper. At time of placing my order I upgraded to a 16" Faxon Gunner Match Grade hand lapped 5R barrel. Right out of the box it shot nice groups at 100 yards with Store bought Hornady 123 SSTs. After a couple of boxes of different brands of ammo it looks like the SSTs group the best. I think I have about 100 rounds down the barrel and it shoots the SSTs in nickle sized groups at 100 yards. I am not a target shooter and don't shoot often. I have not shot any steel case ammo. PSA builds and sells a lot of guns I have almost bought an upper from them several times, they sell out quick. When I called Sanders the Owner answered the phone and we talked about what I wanted in an upper.

Comment

• delt475
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2019

Thanks. But at over 700 with the bcg and ch I would just buy a 6.5 creed bolt gun.
                            I'm trying to stay under 500 for the upper and just put it on my lower.
                            You?re asking a whole lot for a budget build. 3-4in groups at 400yds is moa or better. Factor in the semi-auto into that equation too. For a budget build you should be satisfied if it shoots 1.5-2moa.

Like others have said. If you want/expect moa or sub moa, you need to buy a quality barrel

Comment

• Bronz
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2018

Just starting out I would get a PSA in a heart beat. Get a rifle that will run well then go get some training.

Comment

Working...
                              X