• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DirtyF9
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2020

Like many, first 6.5 Grendel

Well, I was in the process of ordering my first 6.5 Grendel upper, but after poking through some posts I thought I should consult the horde first. I've been planning on doing this for several months now. I had a serious debate with myself between a nice 2011, or a quality lower and two uppers. I already got one of my uppers, a BCM 14.5" 5.56 with a pinned and welded break. The second upper I want a decent 6.5 Grendel. Originally I was looking at Grendel Hunter uppers, but opted to see what you guys thought first. Ideally I'd like kind of a do all. I know it's best to have the tool for the job. Ideally I'd like something fit for both long range precision and hunting. I dont mind having a second lower for the precision rifle and one for a hunting rifle. I also have a busy work schedule and my family consumes a large bit of my time, so I want a out of the box upper. What are your suggestions for a company that makes a complete upper. My max budget is $1200 for this upper. That's really kind of stretching it. Also looking for suggestions on barrel length. I was thinking 20" to 22" for the barrel to squeeze out that velocity for the long range and that punch. I don't do much hunting, but when I do, it's the rifle I intend to bring, so primarily it's a precision rifle, and learning long range shooting.

Edit: I should note I've been primarily a pistol shooter for years. I do have a couple rifles that I take out regularly, but not as much as I'd like. I'd like to learn how to reach out and touch something with something
    Last edited by DirtyF9; 03-26-2020, 02:21 AM.
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Call Paul at Craddock precision. He can build you a very accurate and reliable upper for $1200. You just have to be willing to wait at least three months before you get it. You can also try Mark at Precision Firearms. I recommend both.Had good results with both.I have been dealing with Craddock longer.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

After much delay*, I'm thrilled to announce a continued partnership between Six Sigma Arms, LLC and Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels to keep the phenomenal Lilja Grendel barrels on the market in their ultra-rare short configurations. Six Sigma Arms, LLC is my 07 FFL and we've been working with the Grendel in some manner since our
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-26-2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• DL42
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

Comment

• OneHitWonder
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2018

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

I have two Precision Firearms uppers and love them. They are the high end models.

I see they offer one Grendel upper at $850

6.5 Grendel Neptune EL V-I This Unit is our Entry Level Upper for those wanting Value. It's not a Neptune IV or V but it will still shoot under 1 MOA and is great for hunters! Barrel Options: Criterion Barrel Chambered in house by Precision Firearms Available in 16, 18, or 20 inch 1-8 Twist Bolt is matched and properly headspaced to barrel. Includes Our Own Phalanx Match carrier andd Bolt Fluting Optional Upper: Precision Firearms Forged Upper receiver with Forward Assist, Shell Deflector, and Port Cover BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 or Mod 3 charging Handle. Optional Billet Side Charge Upgrade Muzzle Attachment: PF NOX Flash Hider Optional PF LMD Brake fitted to barrel to reduce recoil to less than 5.56 Handguard: Troy MLOK This is a Light Upper. Weight 4lbs, 14oz. We use true SAAMI Spec 6.5 Grendel Chamber Use only magazines made for 6.5 Grendel. Absolutely NO other modifications REQUIRED to lower. Will mate to any quality Mil-spec lower except some Colts with the Large diameter takedown pins. We do stock the adapte...

I would look into LaRue if Precision ends up out of your budget.
            Last edited by rabiddawg; 03-27-2020, 08:41 AM.
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• ike838
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2017

Check out the Larue Ultimate Upper. They will build the "kit" for you for free. Comes with everything but the stripped lower for $ 792 at the moment. Heck of a deal when you add it up. You will later be given the option of buying a LaRue stripped lower to finish it off for around $ 250. HTH

Comment

• 65Whelen
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Larue's a good choice. I was lucky enough to win one of their upper kits when they had a trigger sales promotion. Quality product.

I've got a couple deer with it, one at 165yds and one at 60yds.
                Also, banging steel at 400 yards no problem.

Comment

• DirtyF9
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2020

I think I'll give it a try building my own, using a Wilson Combat barrel. Just going to order things a little at a time to spare my wallet some distress about the cost ??

Also going to need to invest in some tooling, but never bad to have more tools around the house. I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm going to go with a 20" barrel.

Comment

Working...
                  X