X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forest
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2016

Do you leave the magazines loaded or empty when they're in storage? I've found leaving them loaded helps like a break in, or at least thats my experience with ASC. I've since moved in to Cproducts with better luck.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I must have mis read your post. If the bolt locks back on an empty mag the gas is probably ok. If your having difficulty charging the rifle using the charging handle but will chamber using the bolt catch to release the captured bolt. Generally the operator is riding the charging handle or not fully retracting the charging and cleanly letting the bolt fly forward. Sometime magazines need the feed lips tweaked to permit the top cartridge nose to set a little higher. Some people will file the front top edge of the mag body if the cartridges are dragging on the top edge of the mag body.

The E-Lander mags have very stiff springs when new. I could see where you might have more problems chambering the top round with a full mag. You should have no difficulty chambering a rifle with fewer rounds in the mag. Having difficulty retracting the bolt and chambering a round from new mags in a brand new rifle is really not uncommon. Occasionally someone will use a rifle length spring in a carbine buffer tube or use a short pistol tube with the wrong spring and buffer. As long as your using the supplied carbine spring and buffer in a collapsable stock or a rifle spring and buffer in a rifle stock you should be gtg.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-10-2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• DeanD
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2017

Been using ASC 25 rounders, never a problem. Very high quality, feed lips are right, follower is right, dimensions are right, spring is great, spot welds are right, finish is really nice, they are outstanding quality. Bought mine for $9.95 some time ago but now it seems everyone is out including ASC. I have an E-Lander 10-rounder I don't like. It has a heavy cheap enamel paint job that sucks. I don't like paint on moving parts or magazines.

Comment

• SPQR 70AD
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
          Asc, cpd (duramags) work best for me, but I limit myself to 10 rounders, I don't want a long mag sticking down out of my rifle.
          I can see your point but if I was to only use 10rd mags I would get the ruger American bolt rifle

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by SPQR 70AD View Post
            I can see your point but if I was to only use 10rd mags I would get the ruger American bolt rifle
            If you have another lower drop your grendel upper on it and see what it does.

It could be a mag issue are it could be something is out of spec in the lower.

Take 2 rounds and your mags, insert one round and see if the feed lip is making full contact with the case. If it isn't adjust the feed lip till it is.

If it is add the second round and check that feed lip. If both feed lips are making full contact with the case and the bullet tip isn't pointing flush or lower then the front of the mag then that eliminates most of the problems I can think of and leaves me with thinking it's a tolerance issue.

For what it is I refuse to use elander mags again. Only mags I use for grendel are CPD and magpul SIX8 pmags.

Comment

• Red*Lion
              Warrior
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by DeanD View Post
              Been using ASC 25 rounders, never a problem. Very high quality, feed lips are right, follower is right, dimensions are right, spring is great, spot welds are right, finish is really nice, they are outstanding quality. Bought mine for $9.95 some time ago but now it seems everyone is out including ASC. I have an E-Lander 10-rounder I don't like. It has a heavy cheap enamel paint job that sucks. I don't like paint on moving parts or magazines.
              I use ASC 25 and 10 rounders with very good success. I was googling ASC and C Product (Now Duramag) yesterday and easily found both magazines for sale from 5-25 rounders.
              Last edited by Red*Lion; 04-13-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• 2bits
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2016

Last edited by 2bits; 04-13-2020, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

I'm with Vascar on this.

Cycling the first round requires human intervention in what is an otherwise automatic machine. If as you say once it gets going it functions fine then the variable causing the issue is the human (no offence).

You need to pull that charge handle fully to the rear until it can go no further. Then let it go quickly and completely to simulate mechanical carrier release or automatic cycling.

Your new mags are no doubt stiff springs. Load them up and leave them loaded between shoots or pull them apart and squash the spring closer. If you can pull springs wider to increase their strength then you can do the opposite. But, if you practise good charge handle technique your spring tension should not be an issue.

Comment

• ported45
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    Asc, cpd (duramags) work best for me, but I limit myself to 10 rounders, I don't want a long mag sticking down out of my rifle.
                    Those are the only ones that I have used for the same reason. However, I did find that when I was pushing rounds out of the mags that the mouth of the cartridge wanted to catch on the front edge of the magazines. I used a Dremel to lower that front edge and give it a 45 degree on the inside edge. Rounds push out without resistance and never had an issue in the AR or in the Ruger bolt. The ASC and CPD are dang near twins with the exception of the markings on the floorplates.

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

My 5 and 10 round ASC mags have been flawless. I wish my 17 round Elanders ran that well.
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Matter3
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2020

I just finished my Grendel build and magazines were one of the biggest headaches. Reading through everything, the mix of good, and bad. I went with 24 round Elanders. I had all the same issues as everyone else. Couldn't load easily past 15 rounds and wouldn't feed well coming out. Tried all most of the fixes but still didn't get me anywhere and I didn't want to bend the feed lips yet because it wouldn't help nose dragging and loose rounds. The loading issues and nose dragging I managed to correct. Over time through storage and/or shipping the longer side is weaker and collapses just slightly. I pulled the spring and follower and bent/bowed out the long side about 2 inches up. Tried full loads of Wolf steel and Hornady ELD, and both loaded with no significant binding. There was still some shake but a tap or light squeeze where the mag seats and it's gone. Feeding is a lot better but still on issue but that's hand cycling through the rifle. I'll wait for some good range time before bending feed lips.

With Elanders already being tight clearance wise and the strong spring causes the round to stack like in the picture. So once it reaches the curve you're not even fighting the spring.

If anyone care to know the full process for how I got to this conclusion just let me know.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Matter3; 04-14-2020, 12:32 PM. Reason: Picture and wording

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post

It could be a mag issue are it could be something is out of spec in the lower.

If it is add the second round and check that feed lip. If both feed lips are making full contact with the case and the bullet tip isn't pointing flush or lower then the front of the mag then that eliminates most of the problems I can think of and leaves me with thinking it's a tolerance issue.
                          This has been the issue with several elanders I have on hand, the tip of bullet if pointing right at the front edge, where my cpd's were more angled as they should be. Had to adjust with my mag lip tool which is a pita as you try to maintain a nice smooth full contact of the feed lips. Seems the feed lips on the E mags are longer than they need to be when comparing to the cpd's.

Comment

• Wanderson
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2018

Comment

• Armadillo66
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2017

I just ordered two more 24rnd Elanders from LaRue Tactical but got a message they are backordered. I have one of those mags that works perfect with Wolf ammo but gave me some feed problems with Hornady SST, I am guessing overall length thing with that polycarbonate tip. I banged the mag to get all the rounds seated back in the magazine and that seemed to fix the problem.
                              I have some C product 10's and a 5rnd for hunting, no problems with them with any ammo I have tried.

Comment

• PNWTargets
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2019

I use E-Lander

Comment

Working...
                                X