• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeteDavis
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Life Usage of Bolts and Extractors?

I wonder what the expected lifespan (in terms of rounds) is of a Grendel bolt and extractor in an AA production rifle?

I assume it makes sense to have a spare for each, with each weapon.

Also, how difficult is it to replace an extractor?

Pete Davis
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Pete,

I imagine it depends on how hot your rounds are and how brutal your system is. Hot rounds hammer the bolt and early unlocking puts a lot of strain on extractors. If you don't mind 50fps your AA Hard-Use bolt should last the life of the gun (10-30K rds)

If you carry a spare bolt in the buttstock you will more than likely never need it.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

From my own testing with some AA barrels.

Tune the gas system and lapp the reciver face and the bolt should last longer then the barrel does.

Changing an extractor is simple, press down on it where the pin goes through it and with your other hand use something to push the pin out and then install the new one.

I have a bolt in my 12 inch grendel that went through 4 16 inch fluted AA barrels and it and it's extractor is still going strong. All 4 of those barrels were run with wolf fmj and my 120 gold dot handloads till they died.

The round count is so high I still can't believe how how it is and the bolt is still going.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

What about gas rings? I think I need to do a better job lubing the inside of the carrier. I have two bolts that won't support the weight of the carrier when stood vertically on the bolt face.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
          What about gas rings? I think I need to do a better job lubing the inside of the carrier. I have two bolts that won't support the weight of the carrier when stood vertically on the bolt face.
          Yea I did change the gas rings a couple of times. I forget how it's said to test them to see if they are still good. But I do know I have and do have new gas rings on new bolts that won't support the weight of the bcg.

I have been getting the one peice gas rings off joebobs website.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Depends on:

Gas system length/barrel length
            Gas port diameter
            Loads used
            Round count compressed in short time or spread out over long time
            Suppressed without gas choking
            Bolt alloy, processes, and QC

I've personally broken bolts on 5.56 CLGS blasters running very tortuous high volume sessions, but the bolts broke after 10,000 rounds of that. Had those bolts been made by Diameco in Canada or LMT enhanced, I doubt it would have happened.

I was going through all my Grendel brass recently and forgot how much of it I have. I let my wife pack up a lot of the boxes of it and she informed me I don't need to be buying any reloading components anymore.

Given the weight and volume of boxes full of Grendel brass, and the fact that a lot of it is into multiple firings (I found a ton of Lapua brass), I can only guesstimate how many thousands of rounds of Grendel I have fired through my various 6.5 Grendel AR15s.

As soon as I break something, I'll let everyone know.

Most of my Grendel shooting will be suppressed looking into the future, which can be harder on bolts if you don't manage the gas system well.

I'm using Bootleg carriers to choke the gas down to the most restrictive setting on them when shooting suppressed.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
              That's not how the manual states to test, if I recall correctly you do not set the bcg down on a table to see if it holds, but rather just turn the bcg facing down to see if the bolt slides out by the weight of the bolt itself. I have it saved somewhere on this laptop, I'll try to find it.

Last edited by Lastrites; 04-22-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• PeteDavis
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2015

Thank you to all.

Pete Davis

Comment

• FRB6.5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2018

Re; gas rings, buy good parts from a trusted vendor, not the cheapest ones you can find. Sadly is yet another item where there are lots of poor quality China made parts floating around.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Lastrites,

That is how we were taught as well. Hold the carrier vertical facing the ground and see if the bolt moves forward by its own weight.
                    Last edited by Klem; 04-23-2020, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                      That's not how the manual states to test, if I recall correctly you do not set the bcg down on a table to see if it holds, but rather just turn the bcg facing down to see if the bolt slides out by the weight of the bolt itself. I have it saved somewhere on this laptop, I'll try to find it.

I've been using the Marine Corp TM: TM 05538C-23&P/2 for assembly/disassembly, inspection criteria & torque specs. Under PM Checks & Services it says pretty much the same thing as the Army/AF/CG manual in regards to worn bolt rings but the wording is a slightly different. This manual never leaves my work bench & I refer to it often.
                      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

Thanks, guys. Everything I learn about AR15's I learned from the Internet so it must be true. Gas rings on all of my bolts resist their own weight but not the weight of the carrier. Good to go it would appear.
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                        X