• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hinkar
    Unwashed
    • May 2020

going to get my first grendel, help me decide

I ordered up a Faxon Match 18" (non-fluted) barrel and was going to build it out in the next week or 2. My goal for the upper is to do a little target shooting out to 500 yards once in a blue moon, out to 300 occasionally but mostly I go to a 100 yard indoor range. It would also be my hunting rig for pigs and deer out to 200 yards or so.

A like new Aero factory built upper, Atlas 1 hand guard, 20" barrel w/ an Aero bolt fell into my lap in a trade deal. Not a mark on it and the guy said he put 80 rounds through it. He took it out hunting and went back to his 308, just because. I really wanted something a little shorter and lighter but its not a deal breaker and I could sell the Faxon for what I paid for it... What would you do? I've read many of your comments on precision barrels, 6 months waiting etc... I don't have the time or money for that right now. If I like the cartridge I may go that route. I'm sitting a bunch of ELD and American gunner I snagged right before it dried up a couple weeks ago.

Off memory I think the Aero barrel is just over a pound more than the Faxon. I'd probably have to get a Faxon Bolt as well?

Thanks
  • Steamburn
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Faxon is a great barrel. For the bolt, get a Monster Bolt from BluntForceTrauma at www.SixFiveArms.com

Now only need to add a Leoupold 3-7x 32mm scope on a Aero Precision lightweight scope mount.
    Last edited by Steamburn; 05-08-2020, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• Hinkar
      Unwashed
      • May 2020

Thanks for the advice but I've never heard of Monster barrels and bolts. If I switch out the barrel to the Faxon the plan was to grab a Faxon bolt as well, about $55 as well. I use toolcraft on one of my ar's but didn't want to get into gen 1 or 2 etc w/ the 6.5's or worry about tolerances etc, call me paranoid.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Hinkar View Post
        Thanks for the advice but I've never heard of Monster barrels and bolts. If I switch out the barrel to the Faxon the plan was to grab a Faxon bolt as well, about $55 as well. I use toolcraft on one of my ar's but didn't want to get into gen 1 or 2 etc w/ the 6.5's or worry about tolerances etc, call me paranoid.
        If your barrel is advertised as (Type II) I hate that crap label but anyway, your barrel takes a bolt with the .136 bolt face. What the grendel was designed to use since day one.

If the barrel says type I or is stamped 264 ar it takes the bolt with a .125 depth face.

Monster bolts and barrels are sold by the owner of this fourm.

His website company is sixfivearms.

His bolts will work with your faxon barrel and the BA barrel.

Aero owns Ballistic advantage barrel company.

Comment

• sbowhuntr
          Warrior
          • Mar 2019

Try the aero upper to see if it performs to your expectations, if not swap the barrel out to the faxon. You might be pleasantly surprised with the aero one.

Comment

Working...
          X