• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Featherweight Beast

Guns and Ammo article of interest, might help on a light weight Grendel build. https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...t-beast/375843
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

$ 2100

No thanks !

Comment

• js8588
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

About the only 2 parts on that I'd ever consider are the handguard and pistol grip. Skeletonized receiver set? Hard pass. Aluminum bcg? No. I'm absolutely in favor of light weight and that gun is fine for a gamer, but hunting/self defense? That thing is a malfunction waiting to happen.

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

Thanks Lemonaid! i found this very interesting. based upon the size of the 223 cartridge, i never could figure out the why of an A2 HBAR. i have held an original colt ar15. the old one with the triangle hand guard no forward assist or brass deflector. handle mounted sights, pencil barrel, etc. can't remember what it was called. sp1 or something? when i was handed it i was surprised. it was in the order of 6 lbs. not bad. the DCM/CMP guys would add lead to the rifle to get it up to 16lbs or so. i guess for match shooting, adding weight is an advantage. but for a field rifle, where it's carried a lot and shot very infrequently, light weight is sure nice, especially if it can also be accurate.

looking at the lower, i would be worried about getting my clumsy fingers in there and getting them pinched or cut or mangled in some way. for a sporting rifle, where it's usually not dragged through the mud, i can understand the skeltonizing. most hunting rifles are kept pretty clean, in actuality. after hunting they get a good cleaning usually. so i wouldn't be too worried about dirt getting in there for such short term (normal 14 day hunting season) use. sticks and twigs, well that's a different issue of course.

but there are several ideas here, to a greater or lesser degree, of what can be done to trim the weight down on a 6.5 G AR for field and hunting use.

thanks,
        -tdbru

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
          Thanks Lemonaid! i found this very interesting. based upon the size of the 223 cartridge, i never could figure out the why of an A2 HBAR. i have held an original colt ar15. the old one with the triangle hand guard no forward assist or brass deflector. handle mounted sights, pencil barrel, etc. can't remember what it was called. sp1 or something? when i was handed it i was surprised. it was in the order of 6 lbs. not bad. the DCM/CMP guys would add lead to the rifle to get it up to 16lbs or so. i guess for match shooting, adding weight is an advantage. but for a field rifle, where it's carried a lot and shot very infrequently, light weight is sure nice, especially if it can also be accurate.

looking at the lower, i would be worried about getting my clumsy fingers in there and getting them pinched or cut or mangled in some way. for a sporting rifle, where it's usually not dragged through the mud, i can understand the skeltonizing. most hunting rifles are kept pretty clean, in actuality. after hunting they get a good cleaning usually. so i wouldn't be too worried about dirt getting in there for such short term (normal 14 day hunting season) use. sticks and twigs, well that's a different issue of course.

but there are several ideas here, to a greater or lesser degree, of what can be done to trim the weight down on a 6.5 G AR for field and hunting use.

thanks,
          -tdbru
          It is a good read. But a 3 pound grendel isn't going to be a pleasure to shoot.

That gun wouldn't make it through a day of spot and stalk where I hunt.

I'm not much on looks over function but that gun looks like crap

Comment

• Old Bob
            Warrior
            • Oct 2019

I like my rifles on the beefier side. After totin' around a .54 cal muzzleloader in the woods most of my hunting life, a heavier AR would be no sweat & easier to hold steady for longer shots. My Grendel AR weighs a hair under 9 lbs with a loaded 5 round magazine... same as my muzzleloader.

Don't care for the looks of the LW beast either. Too many places to catch unwanted crap...
            I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Lemonaid
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

I've been pondering ordering some of these carbon fiber reinforced polymer lowers that weigh 3.65 ounces.
              Tegra Arms Carbon Fiber Composite AR-15 Lower, Stripped. Tegra Arms Stripped Lower. We can ship these lowers to CALIFORNIA The Tegra Arms AR-15 carbon fiber composite lower is the strongest ever made. It is manufactured with the highest and most advanced carbon fiber construction on the market. ...

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Troutguide
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

"I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• FLshooter
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2019

Waay too light for my tastes.

Comment

• Lastrites
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
                      I've been pondering ordering some of these carbon fiber reinforced polymer lowers that weigh 3.65 ounces.
                      https://www.impactguns.com/Rifle-Rec...tripped-Lower/
                      As long as you realize that they are inherently weak compared to its aluminum cousins and prone to breakage, they are a roll of the dice. Not for me.

Comment

• FLshooter
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2019

Comment

• Lemonaid
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2019

I have only reviews like this to go by: http://ireviewgear.com/cool-gear/teg...-lower-review/
                          Life time warranty, price is good. I'll likely end up trying one soon.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

They're going to have problems with the carrier key slamming into the lower receiver with that short buffer.

There's no bumper pad or correct length buffer to prevent metal-on-metal impact.

I'm all for lightweight, but I wonder why F1 and Ghost Firearms don't just cut the lightening holes without penetrating the upper and lower receivers fully into the bolt carrier raceway and Fire Control Group.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tdbru
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2019

one thing i just thought of. that highly skeletonized upper and lower would be a good way to visualize trigger function or BCG functioning. you can watch it work.
                              -tdbru

Comment

Working...
                              X