• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Javman
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Wilson Combat

Well went and purchased a 22" WC 6.5Gr and broke it in as per instructions and after a few outings started with several brands of ammo no wolf ammo and have not been impressed with accuracy. Averaging about 1.5 MOA and here's the kicker, I posted a review on their website and it was on there and so I decided to check it this morning and lo and behold it has been removed, not impressed with that.

Now I know some will chime in to give a few more rounds and such but my point if something is being sold as super match and it doesn't deliver the goods then I have an issue especially when they remove my review.
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

did you contact customer service?
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Javman
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Haven't yet, I'm gonna run a few more rounds to give them the benefit of the doubt. But in my research I've read where their port hole is under sized and I did experience some short stroking here and there. I'll be contacting them in a week or so.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Did you use the accuracy checklist build approach when building your upper by chance?

When I want a super accurate upper, I build them so differently than just a normal AR15 parts bash, that it really feels like a totally different firearm I'm working on compared to the days of just assembling AR parts.

I hand-select my uppers, square the upper receiver face with a tool, bed the barrel extension into the upper, use balanced torque on the barrel nut, hand-select the diameter of gas block I use, bed the block and gas tube to the block, use balanced or minimal torque on the muzzle device, and ensure there is no contact between the handgard and the gas block.

I align the gas tube with the carrier key very carefully, and do mods to the extractor and ejector, as well as the bolt face and extractor shelf ledge if they're too sharp.

I also use balanced torque on the scope mount and rings with a torque wrench.

When you do all of these things and use a good trigger like the LaRue MBT-2S, Geissele, etc., and apply very disciplined fundamentals, with a quality optic that doesn't walk around under semi-auto recoil effects, you'll get very tight groups if the barrel and ammo are quality.

If you depart from all of the above variables, you'll see group sizes expand.

Wilson is known for making very accurate barrels, so maybe they want a chance to address this with you.

I know how you feel though. I posted an accurate review of a garbage flakey NiB bolt carrier group Midway USA used to carry, and they scrubbed my review. As dozens of more reviews popped up saying the exact same thing, the avalanche of bad reviews could no longer be ignored and they pulled that particular product.

I don't think we're dealing with the same kind of situation with Wilson Combat though, since WC is pretty meticulous about what they let in and out of their business, and has been that way for decades.

I don't own any Wilson Combat products, but used to have a bunch of their 1911 parts in my 1911s, and am very familiar with how they build ARs.

The Wilson Combat AR15s are one of the first major departures from traditional AR15 imitations back in the day, using free-floated barrels, fluted barrels, precision-fit upper/lower receiver fittings, a higher-end fire control group, and a really durable color finish option before Cerakote came into the firearms market.

They've always had a very upper-tier build quality that lets you know that they really cared about putting the best workmanship into the overall fit/feel/finish of the product.

I used to work in an FFL and sold or transferred enough of them to get a feel for their quality and consistency.

I would give them a chance to trouble-shoot this with you if the accuracy build checklist doesn't work.

Especially with longer barrels in the AR15 where the whip effects will exploit any looseness in the barrel-to-upper receiver mate, I highly recommend a very tight fit and some type of bedding or unitizing method, whether that is an interference fit, thermo-fit, or adhesive filler.

Back in the early 2000s, I was so impressed with Wilson's approach to building AR15s, that it heavily influenced the way I went about my personal builds ever since, especially the receiver fit, color finish, and fire control group combinations for a tight, accurate rifle.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Javman
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

Only didn't thing I didn't do was square or bed the barrel as it was a nice snug fit. Did everything else. I'll probably take it apart a square the receiver as you mentioned LRRPF52 and bed it this go around. Like I said I do want to give them the benefit of the doubt. The finish in the interior of the barrel is impeccable and I had high hopes right off the bat. I'll post my results once I hit the reset button.

Comment

• CJW
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Great post 52.....

Very informative....

Thanks

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Comment

• Gtscotty
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2019

I have the 16" lightweight WC barrel and have been quite pleased with the accuracy. That said, I shoot almost entirely reloads, and this barrel has been pretty easy to develop loads for . The only factory ammo I've tried has been one box of Hornady Black 123gr ELD, and I believe that averaged around ~1.3" for five shots. My good reloads are a little over half that size, but if you're only using factory ammo, that's likely to be a limiting factor.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Javman View Post
                  Only didn't thing I didn't do was square or bed the barrel as it was a nice snug fit. Did everything else. I'll probably take it apart a square the receiver as you mentioned LRRPF52 and bed it this go around. Like I said I do want to give them the benefit of the doubt. The finish in the interior of the barrel is impeccable and I had high hopes right off the bat. I'll post my results once I hit the reset button.
                  Especially on a 22" barrel, that should be bedded well into the upper.

A 22" barrel has a lot more frontal mass, so when it resonates like a tuning fork, it will do everything in its power to wiggle loose whatever joint is holding it in place.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Javman
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Especially on a 22" barrel, that should be bedded well into the upper.

A 22" barrel has a lot more frontal mass, so when it resonates like a tuning fork, it will do everything in its power to wiggle loose whatever joint is holding it in place.
                    Thanks for the tip LRRPF52!

Comment

Working...
                    X