• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruceleroy
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

Accuracy Expectations

Curious what you all have had experience with.
    If you could list barrel maker(length is irrelevant) and average group sizes followed by factory or handloads.
    Not looking for recipes or as stated lengths. Just let us know if you are grouping well with said ammo etc...
    If there is another thread like this let me know and I will bury this.
    I'll start...

PSA barrel
    1.5 factory groups
    1 ti 1.25 hand loads
  • Bullseyetony
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

My CBC industries kit gun shot under 1" right out of the box with Hornady 123 gr ELD-M ammo. Very impressive out of the box for any type rifle. I'm expecting the groups to tighten up the more it gets shot.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
      Warrior
      • May 2014

Satern 24" from Brownells with matching bolt.
      1-1 1/4 " with factory loads
      as small as .268" for 3 rounds with my handloads, shot several 1/2" 5 shot groups with my reloads , very rarely over an inch during load work up .

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

12" krieger 8 shot group at 0.67 moa with handloads. 5 shot groups under half moa

12" faxon group buy shoots 3/4 to 1moa with handloads and 123g hornady American gunner shoots right at an inch

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

12.5 inch Citerion made by PF will do 5 under 1/2 at 100 yards with my 120 gold dot loads and 10 wolf fmj's at 1 1/2 inches plus will ring a 6 inch plate at 600 like it boring easy.

12 inch sixfivearms barrel will do my 120 gold dots at 100 5 shots at are just under 1/2 inch, shoots 10 wolf fmj's at 2 moa and can ring a 6 inch steel plate at 600 like it's easy.

My CZ varmint grendel will do 10 shots under 1 inch at 100 with both my 123 eld-m and 129 ablr loads and just this evening I put 20 out of 20 on a steel rams head at 500 yards. Will remember to get a pic of it tommorw when I go back.

This is what I expect out of my rifles with my handloads, if I build something and I can't match these barrels it's going down the road.

Comment

• Mesa1978
            Warrior
            • May 2015

Midway Shilen w/bolt 3/4"
            Stoner/Liberty w/bolt 3/4"
            AA/Shaw upper 1"
            PF/Lilja upper 1/2"- 3/4"

All with handloads, none were broken in, all have at least 300 through them, 5 shot groups, 100 yards, all scoped. Factory, IDK. never used much in these.

Comment

• Wafavre2
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

Comment

• FLshooter
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Comment

• Jimla
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2018

20" Faxon Match Grade
                  1" factory
                  1/3" hand load

18" BCA 4150 Parkerized Heavy Straight Fluted Barrel
                  3" factory

24" BCA 4150 Parkerized Heavy Straight Fluted Barrel
                  4" factory
                  3.5" hand load

Comment

• Mopar forever
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2020

Comment

• 1Shot
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

Only factory ammo I have ever shot was Horandy 123 SST.
                      First 6.5 Grendel was a complete upper from BCA 20" stainless fluted and it shot all over the place. 5" groups at best.
                      Sent it back for replacement. It took 60 to 70 rounds through the new barrel to get it to start shooting consistently with hand loads sub MOA. With the Hornady factory 123 SST 2 1/2".

Second rifle 18" Oden Works intermediate gas. I built this rifle from the ground up using Anderson upper and lower frame.
                      It would do 1 1/2 to 2" with factory Hornady 123 SST. With hand loads will average 1/2 MOA.

It turned out that neither of the barrels liked the 123 SST bullet no matter what load I tried. 120 Sierra Pro Hunter and Speer Gold Dot are what they REALLY like with IMR8208. I have not seriously fooled with other weight and makes of bullets mainly because I have too many irons in the fire. I just found a deer hunting load and quit fooling with others. Hope to do some tinkering with other bullets this year.

Comment

• Mopar forever
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2020

Comment

• ported45
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

4 different BCA complete uppers. 3 had short throats, but would shoot handloads into 2-3" groups. They were replaced under warranty. Final BCA was correct throat, but would not do better than 5-7" with handloads and Hornady Black ELDM's. Finally just returned it for a refund. Only way I would have one of their uppers now was if they called me up and gave me one for free. That way I would not feel bad selling it for scrap if it did not turn out any better than before.

Had a Hardened Arms upper that would do 1/4-1/2 MOA with handloads.

Ended up getting rid of the HA upper because it was just not my cup of tea for a deer hunting rifle; got a Ruger Predator Grendel instead. Still working on finalizing my handload for it, but looking like 1/4 MOA or less will be the final result.
                          Last edited by ported45; 06-04-2020, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X