Are "high capacity" E-Lander magazines 22 or 24 rounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaxSpede
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2019

Are "high capacity" E-Lander magazines 22 or 24 rounds?

I have one "24 round" E-Lander sourced from Midway which I haven't tested and another "on the way".

Yesterday I read a note on Alexander Arms website which implied their "high capacity" magazine (which looks exactly like the E-Lander) should be considered a 22 round magazine!

Which is correct? 24 rounds fits in the mag I already have on the shelf....
  • fabbrisd
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2020

I fill 22 on the 24 mag - yes, Alexander Arms mag's are custom branded E-Lander's..

My mag-of-choice are the 17's that I fill to 16 since I don't like prime#'s

Comment

• Rosecrans1
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

The Elanders I have are also 17 rounders and smaller. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't state 22 rounds on items advertized as 24. I have had very little success in any 6.5G high capacity mags running 100% of what was advertized. Maybe after they are broken in but certainly not new.

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

mine are advertised as 24 and actually fit 24. like many high cap magazines, there's a bit of break in or spring compression cycles that improve functioning. also look at the feed lip angles and geometry on any detachable box magazine. Brownells sells a magazine lip adjusting tool that can restore magazine lip geometry if you happen to drop and bend the feed lips. i got a good look at the tool and simply made one out of a hefty nail, a file, and a hacksaw. used the hack saw to cut the feed lip gripper and cut off the nail end. used the file to shape the end. tool works great. if time was to be factored in, however, it's cheaper to buy one from Brownells. i like fix it and improve it tinkering projects however so i don't count my time at all. anyway i also used the tool to angle the feed lips slightly so that the rounds sit with a very slight nose up attitude so the bullet points hit the feed ramp grooves nicely. it doesn't interfere with functioning as the feed lips were not over adjusted to the point that the hit the bolt, just enough that the rounds sit slightly point up so that they hit the feed ramps nicely. i feel this improves functional reliability, but have not conducted any scientific pre/post tweaking studies to prove it or disprove my hypothesis. i thought i'd like big capacity magazines. actually i prefer the 10 rounders. the long mags stick out the bottom quite a ways, and add quite a bit of weight when fully loaded, which makes the rifle overall not nearly as "handy". and when i can't miss fast enough to catch up to coyotes with the 10 rounders, the 24 rounders will just make even more dust clouds and faster running coyotes. they sure look cool, though. i'm sure in a combat situation they have their place.
        -tdbru

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I had never seen the advisement from AA that E-L 24 round mags might be more reliable with 22 rounds. I always load my new E-L mags to capacity (let them set loaded) till I take them to the range. I reload the mags and leave the mags loaded until the mags wear in with use. My 24 round mags are reliable with 24 rounds. I have five of the E-Lander 24 round mags.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-04-2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• MaxSpede
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2019

Thanks for the advice.

Most of my mags are also 17 round E-Lander as was mentioned, some are 26 round C-Products and some are various 10 round for legal hunting.

I'll give these a try with 24 rounds and see results. I don't want to burn much ammo these days so I'll default to my "civil unrest ammo shortage" work around. Fire the top three rounds, unload mags down to the bottom three rounds and fire those. In my experience, if the top and bottom three rounds work... they all work.

Comment

• MaxSpede
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2019

- For reliable function we recommend 22 rounds or less

Comment

Working...
              X