Clear All
  • KarlHungus
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2020

Typical Velocity for Wolf 100gr from 12.5" Barrel

• A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I never chronograped the 100 grain wolf from my 12.5 inch guns but they all make just over 2300 with a 120 gold dot in my handloads. So I dont see your velocity as out the normal.

I'm more interested in getting more info to help you fix the issue you was having with your other bolt.

Comment

• Shiftyk5
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2019

Comment

• KarlHungus
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2020

Thanks for the info. Mine is close enough to that, so I'm not worried anymore.

Comment

• KarlHungus
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2020

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          I never chronograped the 100 grain wolf from my 12.5 inch guns but they all make just over 2300 with a 120 gold dot in my handloads. So I dont see your velocity as out the normal.

I'm more interested in getting more info to help you fix the issue you was having with your other bolt.
          I spoke with the owner of Precision Firearms, and he suggested increasing the freebore to the higher end of the spec to fix it. Initially he thought it was an ammo problem, but as the same thing happens with Wolf, PPU, and several varieties of Hornady, he realized it's an issue with the gun.
          With the JP bolt, it cycles fine, but accuracy is around 2-3 MOA regardless of ammo. Good enough for most applications, but I expected better.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by KarlHungus View Post
            I spoke with the owner of Precision Firearms, and he suggested increasing the freebore to the higher end of the spec to fix it. Initially he thought it was an ammo problem, but as the same thing happens with Wolf, PPU, and several varieties of Hornady, he realized it's an issue with the gun.
            With the JP bolt, it cycles fine, but accuracy is around 2-3 MOA regardless of ammo. Good enough for most applications, but I expected better.
            Dont dont sound like Mark at all.

Do you still have the bolt? If so, look under the extractor and if it has the rubber oring, remove it and see what it does.

Comment

• KarlHungus
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2020

20210215_171304.jpg
              Thanks for the help. I agree, it did seem odd. The guy has a great rep here for making rock solid builds.
              Here's a picture of the extractor. No o-ring, but there is a small rubberish part that the spring wraps around. Can try removing that if you think it'll help.

Comment

• KarlHungus
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2020

Dont dont sound like Mark at all.

Do you still have the bolt? If so, look under the extractor and if it has the rubber oring, remove it and see what it does.
                Tried removing the rubber thing, no luck. Bolt seemed to go in to battery, but it wasnt fully locked in (dead trigger). Had to take a mallet to the charging handle to unchamber the round. In other words, same problem as before.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Tried removing the rubber thing, no luck. Bolt seemed to go in to battery, but it wasnt fully locked in (dead trigger). Had to take a mallet to the charging handle to unchamber the round. In other words, same problem as before.
                  Well if it isn't that then it has to be headspace. And that's why the jp bolt is working. Lil deeper face and allows the need space to close the bolt on the round.

Comment

• KarlHungus
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2020

Well if it isn't that then it has to be headspace. And that's why the jp bolt is working. Lil deeper face and allows the need space to close the bolt on the round.
                    I thought the same thing, which is why I was surprised when Mark suggested increasing the freebore as a fix. But maybe he meant that as a solution to the accuracy issues, in addition to swapping out the bolt. In any case, he offered to take a look at it a few months back - hopefully that offer still stands. Probably should have sent it in then, but I really wanted to take the thing out into the woods.
                    Issues aside, I genuinely believe that 12.5" AR's chambered in 6.5 Grendel are the ultimate "do everything well" rifles. Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17534[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks for the help. I agree, it did seem odd. The guy has a great rep here for making rock solid builds.
                      Here's a picture of the extractor. No o-ring, but there is a small rubberish part that the spring wraps around. Can try removing that if you think it'll help.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• KarlHungus
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2020

Ahh. Thanks for giving it a name. You would think that after having removed extractors hundreds of times over the past 10 years I would remember part names. I put it back.

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2017

I'm getting 2410 out of my 12 inch Faxon group buy barrel with 100gr Wolf MC.

Comment

• KarlHungus
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2020

Originally posted by depletedyourcranium View Post
                            I'm getting 2410 out of my 12 inch Faxon group buy barrel with 100gr Wolf MC.
                            Thanks for the response. I guess the Wolf runs faster out of 12" guns than I thought, or maybe you and I just have tighter bores. Some youtuber did a video and I think he got 2300ish.

Comment

Working...
                            X