Do the 7.62x39 AR15's have bolt head issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Do the 7.62x39 AR15's have bolt head issues?

Why has the 6.5 Grendel bolt head been improved and the 7.62x39 still uses the original design? Is there some reason the improvement is not needed for the Russian round?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• Red*Lion
      Warrior
      • Apr 2020

Check out KAK's AR offerings in 7.62x39. They design their components such as their BCG's to be exceptionally sturdy. You will not have bolt issues with KAK products. I get around 1.5 moa with my 11" AR in 7.62x39 using a KAK bcg and barrel shooting steel cased Russian ammo.

We are a design and full service manufacturing company that specializes in AR-15 parts & AR-10 parts in the firearm industry. Buy your own firearm parts directly or become a dealer to take advantage of exclusive pricing.
      Last edited by Red*Lion; 05-29-2021, 04:02 AM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Lower P round. So more forgiving
        4x P100

Comment

• rickt300
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
          Lower P round. So more forgiving
          Probably it, I have seen only one bolt ever broken and it was a 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

The 7.62x39 bolts do go through extractors like Joe Biden goes through pudding cups.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

From KAK's website for their 7.62x39 bolt: "THE EXTRACTOR IS CONSIDERED A WEAR ITEM AND IS NOT COVERED AFTER SHOOTING."
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Fess
                Warrior
                • Jun 2019

As VASCAR2 noted, the rim on the 7.62x39 and Grendel cases is thicker than on .223, so that is a big reason that Bill Alexander deepened the bolt face a little. It allows more meat on the extractor. As near as I can tell, early 7.62x39 AR's made as few changes to the standard AR15 as possible, so they kept the standard bolt face depth. For a long time, 7.62x39 AR's were not common, so there was not a big effort to optimize their bolts. By the time 7.62x39 AR's became popular, the 0.125" deep bolt face was the "standard" and it looks like noone wanted to buck the trend. They mostly shot factory ammo anyway, so there was not a lot of people handloading higher-pressure rounds. It is important to note that when Colt made a 7.62x39 version of the AR (CK901) for Yemen's military, however, they used an oversized bolt and extension for durability.

When Bill Alexander developed the Grendel, he was trying to squeak out maximum performance from the AR platform without changing the bolt diameter and barrel extension. This led to optimizing the bolt over what was already available. If I remember correctly, one improvement that Bill Alexander made on his Grendel bolts was to increase the radius of the transition from the bolt face to the lugs (inside the bolt). He mentioned that there were others improvements, but I don't recall specifics. There are various other improvements that have been made to AR-type bolts that are not Grendel-specific. One of the most common is to increase the radius of the fillets at the base of the lugs.

I know that KAK has done a lot of work on bolts but I don't know how much of that has carried over to their 7.62x39 variant. Heck, their E3 bolt for AR's is sufficiently different that it requires its own special barrel extension.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Fess, KAK is a different company than KAC.
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Fess
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2019

Oops, I need to pay more attention.

Comment

• Red*Lion
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                      From KAK's website for their 7.62x39 bolt: "THE EXTRACTOR IS CONSIDERED A WEAR ITEM AND IS NOT COVERED AFTER SHOOTING."
                      Extractors are wear items on all AR calibers.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
                        Why has the 6.5 Grendel bolt head been improved and the 7.62x39 still uses the original design? Is there some reason the improvement is not needed for the Russian round?
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

Interesting there LRRPF52, So the right thing to do is use a Grendel bolt. Seems it would be hard to find a barrel headspaced to match.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
                            Interesting there LRRPF52, So the right thing to do is use a Grendel bolt. Seems it would be hard to find a barrel headspaced to match.
                            If I was putting together a 7.62x39 AR-15 barrel and bolt, I would start with a JP Grendel bolt and have the barrel chambered to that.

Otherwise, invest in a lot of replacement extractors or entire bolt assemblies.

Another problem is the inconsistency of steel cased 7.62x39 ammunition.

AKs have so much slop and over-gas that they run really hard to deal with that (huge gas ports).
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• chic
                              Unwashed
                              • Dec 2017

So, if I understand correctly, use a Grendel bolt and cut 0.011" off the barrel?

Comment

Working...
                              X